What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4R 2012 1B. Love it, but this is one where I will agree that a comparable bottle can be had for around $50.
Yeah,how about $56 to be exact with a limit of 4 per visit.:grin:

First pour of the Wild Turkey Tradition that I picked up today. The bourbon is quite nice. The presentation box is something to behold. Followed that up with a pour of Old Charter 10.

My back is kicking my ass yet again,so a "boldy" of old George T. should help loosen things up and if not a good's night sleep is in order nonetheless.

mixed some HH BIB gold into some BBQ sauce, along with honey and dried powdered habaneros i grow every year, then bathed some baby back ribs over charcoal with it. damn fine!

i used to toss whatever bourbon i didnt like (and was trying to get rid of) into the BBQ sauce, but it sure does make a difference when you use a bourbon you actually like. i put old overholt in BBQ sauce several times over the summer, but even the BBQ sauce couldnt help the nasty taste of the OH. thats the only whisky i ever poured down the drain.

next time, i may put some of my KC120 into the sauce.

I have made ewsb2000 bourbon pork tenderloin twice. It is one of the better things I've ever eaten.

Willett 9 year. A little less than 115 proof, I think. Had a thick funk to it when poured, but opened very well.

that sounds good. ive not seen any of the good white label Willets around, but then again, i havent really looked for it in particular. A friend has some 130ish proof WFE im itching to try. he says its too hot for him. Im taking a Willet tour while at the KBF next weekend, maybe ill find some thereabouts

after pouring concrete footers today, then writing up 8 drug sheets, care plans, and assessments.......the KC120 is calling my name

lately, ive enjoyed a small pour of HH BIB, followed by a pour of KC 120. i like the HH BIB, but the KC120 tastes even better after the HH BIB.

then i enjoy sniffing the empty glass for a while. hypnotic

Edited by 393foureyedfox

I was going to not imbibe tonight, but my tense neck told me a few sips might release some of the tension. ;-) Taking it easy with an old favorite, Weller SR.

Willett 4 year 121 proof bourbon (Liquor World), ORVW 10 year 107 and WT 101 bottled up in 2003 along with 2 glasses in a gift pack. Finally able to shut off the air conditioner tonight and open windows :cool:.

SBS at the coffee/bar with some FR1B, FR1B LE 2012, and a FR Mariage 2009. Mariage 09 in a runaway, but it's not fair really, it's like comparing a note to a chord...

post-9252-14489819773911_thumb.jpg

Summer's almost over. On my b-day the other day, I opened my bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (2006). Not sure why I've waited so long. I've always enjoyed these birthday bourbons, and this one is no exception. Pretty spicy--a complex mix I can't quite unravel a description for yet--with a nice little burn and a long, tasty, very satisfying finish. Nose is slight, but legs are good. That stupid big cork, though quite moist, was crumbling on its inside-the-neck edge, so had to replace it. Just a few crumbs fell into the juice, so probably won't have to strain it. Probably won't last long, either. Which is good, as recycling that fancy bottle opens up shelf space for up to four more regular-shaped ones.

Have not gotten a chance to do much bourbon shopping lately so I hit my local today at lunch, they happened to have an open bottle Michters 10 bourbon so I tried a pour of that. While we were sampling it was suggested it tasted an awful lot like EC 12 so we did a SBS and could not tell the 2 apart.

Last night it was a bit of late 80s Old Forester 86, and some WSR 7yr.

The evening started out with a beer, but when a offered to pour my wife a pint, she gave me a look and declared, "I want whiskey!" I've made some really good decisions in life. She had some of the Weller.

A TPS Selection of 1792 Ridgemont - not sure what to think yet. This bottling (according to the TPS website) is close to 10 yrs - lots of barrel spice and with a spot of water that recedes a bit to allow some fruitiness to come through. Have to spend more time with it - right now, even at the 93.7 proof, it is markedly more dry and tannic than VOB BiB, and it seems to have buried that fig note that squire helped me to identify in the VOB BiB. Need to spend more time with it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!