What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

i thought id pull a smokinjoe ( i think thats who loves this )....so i pulled my HH6BIB off the desk and put it in the fridge earlier today. just poured some to see how it is straight from the fridge.

theres just something about cold bourbon i dont like. oh well, back on the desk top it goes.

ive yet to try bourbon in coffee, but the thought just twists my stomach up....

i know squire lives on the stuff, but still....

i like coffee, provided it is loaded with cream and sugar. and i like bourbon, the 'hotter' the better. but the two together......ich

since the HHBIB6 didnt do it for me being fresh from the fridge, i cracked open one of my stash of KC120. damn that stuff is good!

Oh you got to try it! Now i only drink my coffee black so that would probably make a difference but I do love my coffee and Bourbon.

At a bar in NYC last night that only had the standard offerings - but they had a Michter's US-1 Bourbon which I always pass up on the shelf but thought I'd give it a try. Probably still won't buy a bottle of it, but it was surprisingly well-rounded, maybe a bit corny but not in a bad way ... enjoyed it. What's the guess on the source on today's Michter's?

At a bar in NYC last night that only had the standard offerings - but they had a Michter's US-1 Bourbon which I always pass up on the shelf but thought I'd give it a try. Probably still won't buy a bottle of it, but it was surprisingly well-rounded, maybe a bit corny but not in a bad way ... enjoyed it. What's the guess on the source on today's Michter's?

A buddy brought a bottle of regular Jefferson's bourbon to our poker game last night. This is the second time in the last month that Jefferson's has been offered to me, and I really liked it both times. A nice and solid whiskey. Like your experience with Michter's in the store, I always seem to pass the Jefferson's while at my whiskey monger's.

Can't find the post now, but mingled some OGD 114 and Ritt BIB (70/30) in a Glencairn and put a lid on it for two days . . . two days ago. :yum: Really liking this, although my measurement may have been off a bit.

EC BP (134 pf) Deep, rich mahogany red color. Can't tell what ice might have done to cloud it because I did not add ice.

The nose is surprisingly light on the alcohol/acetone for a barrel proof. The nose did not strike me as especially prominent. Pleasant but no "Oh, wow!" And it won't singe your eyebrows like Booker's.

On the palate, it hit me with double dark chocolate brownies, coffee, licorice, citrus, caramel, and honey. With care, it can be sipped full strength--which I plan to do in the future. Definitely not a bourbon I would consume more than a shot at a time. But, as far as I know, there is no law that says you can't continue with something less challenging. This evening, that meant a generous pour of WT101--and more to come after I sign off. (The WT101, by the way, I find myself enjoying even more than I have in the last couple of years.)

Tried the EC BP with a little water and found no particular reason to do that. Often, just a touch of water helps a bourbon open up as the fatty acids come out of suspension but I failed to notice more with water than without. And the mouthfeel is so rich and full when it is sipped at BP that I'm not inclined to give it up. If I have to go just a tad slower, so be it.

mixed some HH BIB gold into some BBQ sauce, along with honey and dried powdered habaneros i grow every year, then bathed some baby back ribs over charcoal with it. damn fine!

i used to toss whatever bourbon i didnt like (and was trying to get rid of) into the BBQ sauce, but it sure does make a difference when you use a bourbon you actually like. i put old overholt in BBQ sauce several times over the summer, but even the BBQ sauce couldnt help the nasty taste of the OH. thats the only whisky i ever poured down the drain.

next time, i may put some of my KC120 into the sauce.

Edited by 393foureyedfox

I bought a bottle of Four Roses Barrel Proof OBSV last week - absolutely phenomenal. With a touch of water, this is in my top five of bourbons.

Tell me about a 12 hr day and now sipping on my third OWA but I do have a three day weekend and some new 4RSB & 4RSmb bottles to open!

4R 2012 1B. Love it, but this is one where I will agree that a comparable bottle can be had for around $50.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!