What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2013

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One more comment because I am sure this topic has been played out many times in the forums.

I see the price charged and the plundering of what is on the shelf as two different issues. Earlier, I was speaking to the former.

We are in agreement that we don't like plundering or hoarding. If someone does that to charge as much as they can, it's the plundering I don't like. But, I try to be open minded. Again, that's they way our society is - some parts are good, some aren't so good.

I just choose not to buy from someone who plunders, even if it is a decent price. I won't sell to them either if I can help it. I like to find folks who will drink it, share it, gift it, or just hold it for a special occasion. If they are a known flipper or hoarder, I won't deal with them. Not that they are "wrong", but because I believe differently.

CL, its not the guys like you who buy two bottles of something and resell one at a small profit that im referring to. thats just fine. its the guy who knows people want such-n-such, clear the entire shelf, thereby eliminating any competition, and reset the price. its pretty easy to do if you happen to be the guy who buys up all the allocation for such a small release. as much as i want some ECBP, if i walk into a store and see three sitting on a shelf, i am going to buy just one, and HOPE that the next guy does the same thing.

my main love used to be musclecar era chrysler products. once collectors/investors got into that and completely screwed it up as a working man's hobby, i had to make a choice. stay in the game and pay the prices, or switch to a different branch of the hobby where rarity was not a factor that collectors/investors could use to their advantage. so now you no longer see a 1970 Charger sitting in my garage, you see a 500hp fox body mustang. likewise, i am not willing to play the collectors edition/limited edition/rare release/scalped/overpriced BS game. There's equally likable stuff out there for those who dont need the hype

I've made my share of derogatory comments about liquor control in OH (OK. More than my share.) but today I scored the only bottle of EC BP my bourbon monger had. At $39.10, it is what passes for a bargain in OH; i.e., count youself lucky to get it at any price. I'm tempted to apologize. (No. Not really.)

I've made my share of derogatory comments about liquor control in OH (OK. More than my share.) but today I scored the only bottle of EC BP my bourbon monger had. At $39.10, it is what passes for a bargain in OH; i.e., count youself lucky to get it at any price. I'm tempted to apologize. (No. Not really.)

Great find! and heck of a price...and great segue back on to purchases!

Picked up a Beam Signature Craft Spanish Brandy. I thought it was finished in Brandy Casks but after reading the bottle it sounds like they actually added brandy to the bourbon. Might be strange...

Stopped in a store today and the had AE Rye/Rum priced at $45. I asked if he was sure because I paid $70 for my first bottle. He made some remark about my questioning him so I bought 2 for $90 tax included.

Yeah, standard price on the AE Rye here is $69.99, with the cheapest being around $63.99. Sounds like he priced it at the bourbon price, but if he insists on selling at a big discount, more power to him.

Huh? Trying to talk a retailer into raising the price? At least you ended up right, counting your blessings and ordering two, thank you very much. I want to try AER - no hesitation @$45, tho.

ive not seen AE Rye. i wasnt overhwelmed by the regular. Is it a straight rye or a high rye bourbon?

It's just another LDI rye variation.

Yes, the base is LDI rye, but it's nothing like any other LDI rye...or any rye....anywhere....

That's very nice of you, telling a shop owner he might've priced something wrong.

In my dumber days, when Rogue switched from $4.99 bombers to $18 750mLs of some of their beers, I took major advantage of some shops that didn't raise the price like they were supposed to. I definitely knew better but did it anyway.

I paid this back to a certain extent years later when a bottle of EH Taylor rung up as Old Taylor 6 year (a good $50 difference) I told the manager about the mistake (instead of grabbing the rest of them like I wanted to do :lol:)

Yes, the base is LDI rye, but it's nothing like any other LDI rye...or any rye....anywhere....

Totally agree. Very unique. Great after-dinner drink.

Huh? Trying to talk a retailer into raising the price? At least you ended up right, counting your blessings and ordering two, thank you very much. I want to try AER - no hesitation @$45, tho.

I have to keep my Karma in check.

Good get. I'd keep AE Rye stocked at 45.

+1. Definitely a unique pour. At $70 though, I continue to live vicariously through others :)

Picked up a Stag Jr today. I was hesitant due the reviews but glad I did pull the tigger, it's a solid whiskey at a reasonable price, I dig it.

A 2003 EWSB because the first one disappeared so quickly.

I was perusing this bottle earlier, and discovered that the Vintage Dating indicates that it's 12 yr - 2 mos old. Barreled April 2001 Bottled June 2013. My Georgia HH guy confirmed that it's correct. But, isn't the reason why they call it EWSB 2003, is because that's the year it was barreled? Weird...

I was perusing this bottle earlier, and discovered that the Vintage Dating indicates that it's 12 yr - 2 mos old. Barreled April 2001 Bottled June 2013. My Georgia HH guy confirmed that it's correct. But, isn't the reason why they call it EWSB 2003, is because that's the year it was barreled? Weird...

Wow - that is strange!! My guess is that all of the EWSB they bottle this year get the 2003 label (as legally the whiskey can be OLDER than that, just not younger). Hmm . . . maybe we need to turn them around before we pick from now on! The only one I've ever bought was a 2002, and it was barreled in April 2002 (bottled in October 2012). Was this a particular store's private EWSB selection?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!