What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2013

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Clearly, that's human error. Post the barrel # and someone will certainly post another bottle from that barrel with a 2003 date. Unless, perhaps, it's from their barrel selection program - then who knows what shenanigans are possible?

Finally caved and bot an ER10 for more than the Blanton's price I've paid - ouch!

Edited by MauiSon

pretty much. market value is $40-50. its supposed to retail at $40. nothing wrong with making a few bucks. just dont be like the prick someone on here mentioned the other day who was selling some at $140. that guy deserves a bourbon enema

I will vouch for CL (Chuck), he and I have talked quite a bit over the last week mostly through FB because of BX. He was honest and upfront and not looking at all to gouge anyone. This is not a specific reference to anyone on here, but I am pretty sure there are others on here that can't not say the same about what they are doing on BX.

Anyway, back on topic. 1 ECBP (137 proof), 3 W12, and should be in the rye forum but 2 x Angels Envy rye (mostly because if Josh's review last week).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Clearly, that's human error. Post the barrel # and someone will certainly post another bottle from that barrel with a 2003 date. Unless, perhaps, it's from their barrel selection program - then who knows what shenanigans are possible?

I'm not so sure. The GA HH Area Mgr. inquired with someone on the Brand Team at HH, and he confirmed it as accurate. I went back to the store, and there were more bottles from the same dump, labeled the same...I do think it is very weird, though...

I'm not so sure. The GA HH Area Mgr. inquired with someone on the Brand Team at HH, and he confirmed it as accurate. I went back to the store, and there were more bottles from the same dump, labeled the same...I do think it is very weird, though...

So this is an error right? It's really Vintage 2001 that they aged an additional 2+ years - I'd love to find some of that, I loved the 2000 and 2001. 2001 with an extra couple of years at EWSB pricing? Nice find!

Picked up Evan Williams Single Barrel(Store selected barrel, got to taste and it wasn't bat for $22). Also grabbed a High West Prairie Reserve and Elijah Craig 21 yr. Overall a good day.

Picked up a Beam Signature Craft Spanish Brandy. I thought it was finished in Brandy Casks but after reading the bottle it sounds like they actually added brandy to the bourbon. Might be strange...

Yes, it is definitely bourbon with the Spanish Brandy added to it rather than aging in brandy casks. But it is "carefully aged" rather than age stated like the 12yo is so not quite sure what to make of that. Also no indication just how much brandy is added. I think the addition of the brandy it is a bit more like a Canadian whisky which is permitted to have a certain percent of other "stuff" added to it. Perhaps Gary or another Canadian whisky aficionado can comment.

It is a screw cap top for fans of that closure which no doubt provides a more consistent seal but once the wrapper is off the top makes it look a bit cheap to be honest.

I tried it and I don't find much brandy influence. Using the AE bourbon as a comparison I much prefer the AE which is around the same price. It was a bit hot and the finish was a little bit mellow, for lack of a better word, which might be the brandy making an appearance. Even though it is only 86 proof it might do better on a cube of ice.

post-8493-14489819774483_thumb.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl2

Thought I'd chime in and also verify that I, as well, just got back from a local store and picked up a bottle of the EWSB , barreled 4-1-01, bottled 6-14-13. Barrel #537. Sure enough! Plenty of them on the shelf. Cool, I guess.....

Edited by Painkiller

Yes, it is definitely bourbon with the Spanish Brandy added to it rather than aging in brandy casks. But it is "carefully aged" rather than age stated like the 12yo is so not quite sure what to make of that. Also no indication just how much brandy is added. I think the addition of the brandy it is a bit more like a Canadian whisky which is permitted to have a certain percent of other "stuff" added to it. Perhaps Gary or another Canadian whisky aficionado can comment.

It is a screw cap top for fans of that closure which no doubt provides a more consistent seal but once the wrapper is off the top makes it look a bit cheap to be honest.

I tried it and I don't find much brandy influence. Using the AE bourbon as a comparison I much prefer the AE which is around the same price. It was a bit hot and the finish was a little bit mellow, for lack of a better word, which might be the brandy making an appearance. Even though it is only 86 proof it might do better on a cube of ice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16571[/ATTACH]

Very interesting post as I just tried it tonight as my first 2 pours of the night. I also could not pick up much Brandy influence at first. Originally I thought it reminded me of watered down Bookers. I then had a small pour of PHC 6th (wow so good after the JBSC). Next I decided to try Bookers side by side with the JBSC to see if I could detect any similarities. Not sure if it was the progression of tastings or what but after trying the Bookers and then trying the JBSC, BOOM, there is the brandy. An interesting, experimental evening.

Thought I'd chime in and also verify that I, as well, just got back from a local store and picked up a bottle of the EWSB , barreled 4-1-01, bottled 6-14-13. Barrel #537. Sure enough! Plenty of them on the shelf. Cool, I guess.....

Somewhere towards the opposite end of the spectrum, I picked up a PET traveler of Barton Ten High. This is the straight bourbon, not the "Bourbon, a Blend" garbage. And I can't find an age statement on it so I guess it is four years old. By the looks of it, it may be old stock that was sitting in a distributor's warehouse. At least, it probably predates '09 when the bourbon blend hit the market.

So, semi-dusty. Cracked it open and it smells very Barton. A little hot on the tongue (okay, pretty hot) but not entirely unpleasant. Considering it was $5.99 for a 750 ml, well, not bad.:grin:

I thought my previous purchase of OFBB2013 was good at $39, but I found 3 more today for $20 each. I sure hope its as good as I'm hearing.

I thought my previous purchase of OFBB2013 was good at $39, but I found 3 more today for $20 each. I sure hope its as good as I'm hearing.

Stagg Jr landed in Milwaukee (finally) and picked up a bottle to see which end of the spectrum I end up on. Plan on cracking it tomorrow night.

Made a pit stop in Mizzou on my way back from Texas and picked up 2 bottles of fRSB 2013 and another for a buddy at $79.99 each. I asked the gal at the store how long they had been there and she said "awhile, too expensive for most around here" so I didn't feel bad cleaning them out. Great stuff IMO.

Fighting Cock and EW white

great basics. try them against both of the HH BIB's, if you can find them in FL. I find them all very similar.

Hidden

1985 Fighting Cock in about 2 hours. I try to drink it when my USC Fighting Gamecocks are playing. I forgot to take it with me last weekend on my craft brewery trip to Asheville...AND THEY LOST!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!