What did you pass up today? Summer '13

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed up on some EC21 today. But not all of it...

EDIT: I should have also said that if you would like to know where a few more bottles are (ie, were 45 minutes ago) in the Lexington area let me know and I'll point you to them.

Edited by bingstein

Passed on WT "forgiven" at $55.

Probably would not be tempted even for $20 less...

Is that a state price?

I passed on an ECBP 137. Might go back, might not... Kind of on a whiskey buying hiatus in preparation for what's to come.

I passed on an ECBP 137. Might go back, might not... Kind of on a whiskey buying hiatus in preparation for what's to come.

I found three bottles of 4R single-barrel at one of my local stores, with the "Private Selection" label on the neck like the retailer barrel picks have, though the store isn't advertising it as their pick. It's priced the same within a few bucks of the regular single-barrel bottles, but the side label they usually have with the retailer's name isn't present, and which recipe of the ten in the bottle isn't to be found anywhere on it.

On the other hand, they're labeled at a beefy 58.9% ABV.

I'm tempted.

At another store, I left behind two 4R1B LE 2013's and bought the third. I'm also tempted there, but I think I need to sample more from my open bottle of this whiskey before deciding to really stock up.

As far as the wifely discussions go, we each have our hobbies, and she's fine with me buying and enjoying fine whiskey. On the other hand, I did just get a comment about all the liquor storage boxes piled up in the cellar, making it look "cluttered" down there... Even if you're not losing, you still can't win! :lol:

Edited by Kalessin

I found three bottles of 4R single-barrel at one of my local stores, with the "Private Selection" label on the neck like the retailer barrel picks have. The store isn't advertising it as their pick. It's priced within five bucks of the regular single-barrel bottles, but the side label they usually have with the retailer's name isn't present, and which recipe of the ten in the bottle isn't to be found anywhere on it.

On the other hand, they're labeled at a beefy 58.9% ABV.

I'm tempted.

Sounds like a great deal - they usually go for $50 or more around here. I wonder if you could guess the recipe - as I believe that is normally listed on the side label that is missing in your case. I'd buy one and see what you think - I am still thinking that I need to pick up a second bottle of an OESO a local retailer has near me.

I'll bet Four Roses would tell you the recipe based on barrel number and warehouse location.

4 liters of Dant BIB 113 for $69/each.

One pint of Dant BIB 2/16 for $49.

Two liters of ND OGD 86 for $59.

Seriously? I mean, I want to try those, but geez. I wonder why they're still on the shelf...

I'll bet Four Roses would tell you the recipe based on barrel number and warehouse location.

Great idea. From those who have experience with standard SB vs. store pick SB (these being the OBSV 100pf types not store barrel proof picks) How do they compare? In these parts the store picks are usually 10 bucks cheaper. I have only had store pick SB and I am very happy with it, given that they are the same recipe and proof I don't see the need so shell out more money for what should be the same thing (beyond barrel variation of course).

The private selection barrel proofers are one of the best values in bourbon IMO. It's really hard to compare them to the OBSV because every recipe is different.

As far as the store pick standard SBs... They're the same thing, just something that someone at the store liked. If you find a store that selects barrels you like, keep buying them... If you find a store that selects barrels you hate, don't. Simple as that.

They definitely will. I also found a private selection with no info besides barrel and warehouse info. I just emailed them and they quickly got back with recipe and age info.

It's too woody for my liking. It's just rare and expensive, not good IMHO.

I found a place with a Hirsch 22 Rye on the shelf for $165. I passed on it, but don't know much about it. Worth it at that price?

I found a place with a Hirsch 22 Rye on the shelf for $165. I passed on it, but don't know much about it. Worth it at that price?

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!

B

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!