What did you pass up today? Summer '13

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed on all these. Have plenty stashed back. [ATTACH]16234[/ATTACH]

Wow, a visit to Carmel. They looked to be well stocked!

I passed on all these. Have plenty stashed back. [ATTACH]16234[/ATTACH]

I wouldn't have hesitated to purchase a case of Weller12...

THH @$109, JPS18 @ $129, EH taylor single Barrel ( have not heard much good about the entire EH line), BT single oak and BT experimental. I also saw some Hirsch 20 yr. American whiskey for $80 or $90 but again I have heard it just is not that good.

I wouldn't have hesitated to purchase a case of Weller12...

The EH Taylor and Hirsch are both sitting at my local store for the same prices and nobody seems to want them. The Hirsch has been on the shelf for 2-3 months now. A friend bought the Taylor and really liked it, though.

Passed on a BTEC for $65 per 375. They had the rice and oats bottles. Im curious but not at that price.

You would go from curious to pissed off after about 10 seconds into your first pour,wise decision on both of those:shithappens:

I found the Rice to be decent if unremarkable. Oats was pretty bad. Neither worth the price other than to taste the experiments. Some are good and some are bad but hard to know unless you get to try it for yourself.

Passed through the store with the grossly overpriced Handy again today. So odd since they have a number of bottles which are priced at or below other local stores.

It is also very sad. There were 11 bottles on the shelf from at least 2 different years! No telling how many more might be tucked away elsewhere. A shame to see such fine whiskey not being enjoyed but I certainly won't pay that for 6yo CS whiskey that realistically is already overpriced at retail cost.

post-8493-14489819583848_thumb.jpeg

Checked on the 25yo Hirsch Rye I saw last week but apparently all they have is the 25yo (At least as far as they seem to know. Doesn't seem to be the most organized of operations) so I passed on it. Was hoping to find a 21 or 22.

Also saw these Hirsch 20yo American whiskeys finished in used barrels (not A.H. Hirsch of course). Didn't know much about them so passed for now at $80. I seem to recall it was not particularly well thought of and certainly not at that price. Also saw the Michter's 10yo mystery rye which there have been a few good reports about on here recently but didn't have much interest at $72 even though that seems to be lower than some internet prices I have seen. Do we know where the heck this comes from??? It is the one bottle I am wondering if I should have picked up.

post-8493-14489819584521_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819584301_thumb.jpeg

Edited by tanstaafl2

Wow - that is sad. I love THH, but at triple the price - that's crazy. Must just like saying they have it on the shelves.

I passed up on the Hirsch 25 year for $220. If anyone is around Augusta, GA and is interested, PM me. I couldn't bite on it since I don't know much about it. The Anchor Distilling website doesn't even have it listed.

Also saw the Michter's 10yo mystery rye which there have been a few good reports about on here recently but didn't have much interest at $72 even though that seems to be lower than some internet prices I have seen. Do we know where the heck this comes from??? It is the one bottle I am wondering if I should have picked up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16260[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16261[/ATTACH]

According to this Board and other Internet sources the original M10 rye was the Cream of Kentucky rye (Same as Saz18 and others) This could be some new (Canadian) source like the Jeff or WP. If it says distilled in Ky I'd grab it. If its the old stuff that's a great price.

Also you might PM Chainwhip if he doesn't chime in here. He's pretty up on the older ryes.

Edited by Old Dusty

Also you might PM Chainwhip if he doesn't chime in here. He's pretty up on the older ryes.

Great price, that's an older bottling of the Michter's 10, per the barrel number. I'd definitely grab it, but that's just me...

Great price, that's an older bottling of the Michter's 10, per the barrel number. I'd definitely grab it, but that's just me...

What he said. I'd clean them out.

Passed on some BT Single Oak, Bowman Brothers, & John J. Bowman tonight - yes ladies & gentlemen, Bowman has landed in WA state.

A ton of tax strip '80's Old Crow. No matter how old that stuff gets...I'm just not interested for some reason.

It is also very sad. There were 11 bottles on the shelf from at least 2 different years!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16258[/ATTACH]

Wow - that is sad. I love THH, but at triple the price - that's crazy. Must just like saying they have it on the shelves.

At those prices, even the Canadian tourists passing through would laugh - we're only used to 2x the price on everything :slappin:

At those prices, even the Canadian tourists passing through would laugh - we're only used to 2x the price on everything :slappin:

The newbs over on BX would clear the shelf of those THH bottles though, they're a bargain and appear to be priced about $100 lower than what they normally pay!

Edited by LostBottle

The newbs over on BX would clear the shelf of those THH bottles though, they're a bargain and appear to be priced about $100 lower than what they normally pay!

A few other things I passed up this weekend.

I am always interested in supporting some of these small craft distillers and with a price under $30 I thought about picking this Whipper Snapper up but passed for now. Got no idea about the Buck bourbon other than it is sourced mystery KY bourbon bottled out in California. I have tried the Belle Meade in the past, also mystery KY bourbon bottled in Nashville I think, and it was OK but not at $40 for me, especially with the EWSB a few bottles away on the shelf at half the price!

post-8493-14489819590393_thumb.jpeg

Also saw some more EWSB 2002 (barrel number in the 900's) but decided to pass for now. They had a fair amount on hand so probably not going to move fast unless somebody is really jones-ing for the 2002. But $20 bucks seemed like a really good price for 10yo bourbon.

post-8493-14489819590639_thumb.jpeg

A few other things I passed up this weekend.

I am always interested in supporting some of these small craft distillers and with a price under $30 I thought about picking this Whipper Snapper up but passed for now. Got no idea about the Buck bourbon other than it is sourced mystery KY bourbon bottled out in California. I have tried the Belle Meade in the past, also mystery KY bourbon bottled in Nashville I think, and it was OK but not at $40 for me, especially with the EWSB a few bottles away on the shelf at half the price!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16282[/ATTACH]

Also saw some more EWSB 2002 (barrel number in the 900's) but decided to pass for now. They had a fair amount on hand so probably not going to move fast unless somebody is really jones-ing for the 2002. But $20 bucks seemed like a really good price for 10yo bourbon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16283[/ATTACH]

I seem to remember reading Lawrenceburg, IN as the source on the Belle Meade. My wife had grabbed a bottle and pointed it out to me before i noticed, trying explaining NDP and then realized i should buy her some bourbon balls and save us both some confusion.

Just my opinion obviously, but WhipperSnapper is among the absolute worst whiskies I've ever had. Took a bottle on my 30th birthday beach trip (along with a dozen other things) and my friend who can't smell anything (literally) wound up drinking it. I'd really like to hear other opinions on it though.

Great price on the EWSB.

Agreed. It's a $30 bourbon in these parts. I'd be a buyer at $20 for sure. Great value for a 10 yr single barrel.

Just my opinion obviously, but WhipperSnapper is among the absolute worst whiskies I've ever had. Took a bottle on my 30th birthday beach trip (along with a dozen other things) and my friend who can't smell anything (literally) wound up drinking it. I'd really like to hear other opinions on it though.

Whippersnapper tasted more like gin than any other whiskey I've ever had. Does alright in a manhattan, and well in a mint julep, but it is definitely not enjoyable neat IMO. But tanstaafl2 is a cocktail guy, so he might have fun experimenting with it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!