What did you pass up today? Summer '13

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The highest rye bourbon MGPI makes is 36%, so if the sign is to be believed it wouldn't be from them.

The bottle is clearly labeled distilled in Indiana so do we have any other candidates?

The highest rye bourbon MGPI makes is 36%, so if the sign is to be believed it wouldn't be from them.

Unless somebody else is making bourbon in Indiana I would put my money on the sign, and whoever the PR people for the company are, being wrong!

Probably the first time that has happened... :skep:

Craving bourbon after two weeks without any, but at $13 for a shot of Maker's and $10 for Jim Beam at the Miami airport, I can wait a few hours until I'm home.

You're a better man than I. I would have said f&@k, give me one of each and I'll make a 4 grain vatting.

Gary, I'd bet those 375s are older and would go back for them. Were they age stated?

I don't think so, but you know - I didn't ask to see one close up (several of the stores had them, and the labels all looked the same - it wasn't the paper label I've seen on the 750s that were age stated; the label looked like the same design as the current).

Craving bourbon after two weeks without any, but at $13 for a shot of Maker's and $10 for Jim Beam at the Miami airport, I can wait a few hours until I'm home.

Two weeks, where were you?

I've started bringing a flask of something barrel strength when I go to Europe, so I can have a couple of nice pours over there. Hard place to get bourbon and the prices are nuts.

The bottle is clearly labeled distilled in Indiana so do we have any other candidates?

none that I am aware of.

I don't think so, but you know - I didn't ask to see one close up (several of the stores had them, and the labels all looked the same - it wasn't the paper label I've seen on the 750s that were age stated; the label looked like the same design as the current).

Oh, then they were probably current. I've never seen current label 375s only the old paper label. Carry on...

Two weeks, where were you?

I've started bringing a flask of something barrel strength when I go to Europe, so I can have a couple of nice pours over there. Hard place to get bourbon and the prices are nuts.

I was in Central America for work and was on duty 24/7, which prevented me from drinking. I see a lot of bourbon in my near future now that I'm home!

Smooth Ambler 10yr @ $48 (hadn't seen the 10yr around here before)

I unknowingly wandered into the ibuypappy.com store in NYC tonight...

10/107-$299.99

LotB-$399.99

Rye-$550

15yr-$600

20yr-$900

23yr-1699

Needless to say I left all the bottles on the shelf.. All their other prices also sucked

AE Rye $100

W12 $29.99

Wilette 4yr Rye $85

10/107-$299.99

LotB-$399.99

Rye-$550

15yr-$600

20yr-$900

23yr-1699

Needless to say I left all the bottles on the shelf.. All their other prices also sucked

AE Rye $100

W12 $29.99

Wilette 4yr Rye $85

:bigeyes:

*picks self up off floor*

I passed on a bottle of George T. Stagg for $199, along with a Willet Family Estate Reserve 10 year for $80. Not a bad price for the Willet FE, but research about the barrel # didn't turn up anything and I didn't want to risk getting an "ok" bottle.

Saw this oddity in a store today. Don't know much about it but didn't feel compelled to pick it up and the $37 price tag didn't help.

post-8493-14489819416195_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819415977_thumb.jpeg

10/107-$299.99

LotB-$399.99

Rye-$550

15yr-$600

20yr-$900

23yr-1699

AE Rye $100

W12 $29.99

Wilette 4yr Rye $85

id have told them the decimal was in the wrong spot, and left. whiskey snobs, they can keep their pappy! is it better than my OGD 114? maybe, but thats subjective......plus, even if it is, is it 15 to 80x better? fuck no!

we were having lots of people over for a cookout and games and the wife and i made a liquor run. she loaded up on wine, but ill be damned if i could find a single thing on the shelf i wanted to try. i rarely am willing to pay over $30 for anything. i was looking to grab an EB 7/101 to try, but of the two places we went, neither had it. there was an EB 12/99, but even at the sale price of $36, i wasnt willing to take a chance on it. i am still regretting the $30 i spent on the 4R Single barrel. Lots of people like it, but not me. I wish everything was offered in a 50 or 100mL size.......id be more willing to experiment with a wider range or bourbons.

Edited by 393foureyedfox

Saw this oddity in a store today. Don't know much about it but didn't feel compelled to pick it up and the $37 price tag didn't help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15992[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15993[/ATTACH]

Haha...The name Yahara Bay makes me think of Madison, Wisconsin.

A late shipment of PVW 15 for $89. I got a bottle last week so I let me brother grab this one on his bday :)

Haha...The name Yahara Bay makes me think of Madison, Wisconsin.

Which is where the distillery is located.

http://www.yaharabay.com/

The website, like many of them, is not all that useful.

Which is where the distillery is located.

http://www.yaharabay.com/

The website, like many of them, is not all that useful.

Yeah, I just found it to be an odd name for a distillery in Wisconsin. When I read Yahara Bay, it conjures up imagines of some exotic locale. Not that Madison, Wisconsin (or 'sconsin') can't be exotic at times.

Bulleit 1.75 L with two shot glasses for $43.99 at Costco. Can't buy liquor in Indiana on Sunday. Not sure that I would have bought it anyway.

Passed up a 2013 FR1BLE for $99. Not biting at that price. Ironically, this grocery store has the best price around on the standard FR1B at $29.99, and awhile back I picked up a bunch of gift packs for that price which came with two nice FR rocks glasses. I am finding retailers are reaching on these limited editions. This probably would have been $79.99 a year ago.

Passed up a 2013 FR1BLE for $99. Not biting at that price. Ironically, this grocery store has the best price around on the standard FR1B at $29.99, and awhile back I picked up a bunch of gift packs for that price which came with two nice FR rocks glasses. I am finding retailers are reaching on these limited editions. This probably would have been $79.99 a year ago.

Definitely seem to be gouging a bit. Got it this year for between $75.99-$79.99 locally when I can find it. Although local taxes may be higher in NJ.

Definitely seem to be gouging a bit. Got it this year for between $75.99-$79.99 locally when I can find it. Although local taxes may be higher in NJ.

These are pre-tax prices I am talking about. I think it is just retailers charging what they think they can get, not what they "should" be charging based on the suggested retail price. It is why I paid $49.99 (again, pre-tax) for the ECBP, as opposed to the $39.99 or thereabouts that some people were paying in other areas of the country. Limited availability in and of itself now seems to mean higher pricing along with it.

These are pre-tax prices I am talking about. I think it is just retailers charging what they think they can get, not what they "should" be charging based on the suggested retail price. It is why I paid $49.99 (again, pre-tax) for the ECBP, as opposed to the $39.99 or thereabouts that some people were paying in other areas of the country. Limited availability in and of itself now seems to mean higher pricing along with it.

I meant any state taxes and fees built into the price, not counting sales tax. Each state seems to be different. The store I got the FR LE from for $75.99 was charging $49.99 as well for the ECBP so go figure! I heard of others in my area finding it for less. One of the few occasions when they were charging a good bit more than the competition.

Of course I never saw an ECBP at the other stores I shop so I was stuck. But I did at least get several bottles from them. I guess nobody else wanted it at that price!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!