What did you pass up today? Summer '13

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Eh, distilleries sell all kinds of good stuff they don't bottle themselves. That much is evident as there's been some truly great NDP stuff out there. Not one that's turned my head in a little while though.

money talks, i imagine.

case in point.....i have been curious to try some Ezra 7/101. i KNOW that this is sourced from HH, but still wanted to try it just to see what it was like. bought some today and tried it. pretty much tastes like any HH BIB ive tried, but minutely different......probbly not enough to pick up in a blind tasting.

so my point is this: HH BIB 6 year here is an $11 bottle. Ezra 7/101 is an $18 bottle. pretty much the same stuff, as theyre both HH products, just one is under a different name (the ezra). if Luxco (ezra's owner), knowing they can get away with a $7 markup per bottle, is willing to pay HH more for the bourbon than HH knows it will get out of selling it themselves under their own label..........what do you thing HH is going to do? i would sell it to Luxco in a heartbeat too! HH has so many labels, what do they care? especially when they can make more selling it to Luxco than to deal with the bottling/distribution themselves....

Edited by 393foureyedfox

Thankfully, we have the resources of this site so we can learn the differences in such things.

I passed up a Rittenhouse 21 for $150. Not sure if that was a good or bad price but regardless it was too steep a hill for my wallet to climb. I did buy the Thomas Handy I found in another store at a far more reasonable $70.

I passed up a Rittenhouse 21 for $150. Not sure if that was a good or bad price but regardless it was too steep a hill for my wallet to climb. I did buy the Thomas Handy I found in another store at a far more reasonable $70.

To qualify I haven't had any if the three, but the Ritt 21 seems to be regarded as the best of the three. That is the price I have always seen it at and seems fair but understand as I have never bought it for myself because of the price.

Mike

quite a fair price. I'd certainly be willing to pay a bit more for it.

Now need to go bang head against wall to fit urge of wanting said gem.

:banghead:

B

$50 BMH Small Batch... I can't justify that money on NS NDP when EC12 is so much more affordable.

B

I may still know where one is should your urges overcome you. ;)

Mike

B

Agreed and I would too.

Passed on some Baby Saz. Only because I spent a little money on some 2013 FR LE SB. Will pick it up next time.

i, for one, dont believe any bottle is worth over $50. some guys who swear by that $150-200+ bottle of such-n-such, i bet it would be funny to see them in an blind tasting.....just sayin'

i, for one, dont believe any bottle is worth over $50. some guys who swear by that $150-200+ bottle of such-n-such, i bet it would be funny to see them in an blind tasting.....just sayin'

While there is a lot of psychology going on when you cross that threshold, whatever level it may be, it's hard, and you wonder about its worth.

It's like love, some people say they don't get it, but then they get smacked by it, and never are the same again.

The first time I had a Hirsch rye some time ago, my mind, and taste buds were forever changed.

Yah, it's worth it, there just is nothing even close to some of these.

B

I may still know where one is should your urges overcome you. ;)

Mike

I swear, you all are trying to do me in!! Between the post and texting, the weakness is starting to creep in more.....

But, on the other hand, if I did give, in, I know where there is some 23 and 25 to complete a set. For some reason, I have a real fetish about having these in a set. Just seems wrong to have the odd man out so to speak.

B

GTS for $139. Last time I bought it (2009 4 bottles) I believe it was $70 so I could not justify Double the price when I still have 1/2 a bottle of the 2009.

While stopping in a store 5 min before closing in Dallas, I had to do a double-take on Ancient Age Preferred. Had never seen it before and got excited! Then disappointed when I realized that a handle wouldn't be a good fit in my carry-on (even if I checked it). Then not-so-disappointed when I realized it is a blended whiskey anyway :)

While stopping in a store 5 min before closing in Dallas, I had to do a double-take on Ancient Age Preferred. Had never seen it before and got excited! Then disappointed when I realized that a handle wouldn't be a good fit in my carry-on (even if I checked it). Then not-so-disappointed when I realized it is a blended whiskey anyway :)

Similar experience, except I bit on a 200ml.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?18048-What-Bourbon-Did-You-Purchase-today-Summer-2012&p=293618&viewfull=1#post293618

Yesterday I passed on Jesse James Bourbon. :lol: What is it with all the dang NDP stuff everywhere nowadays? I also passed on: Stetson, Lexington, Breakout, Bighouse, several others, and stuff with honey added to it. Come on people, this is all wasting valuable shelf space.

Passed on John B. Stetson, young, low proof, over priced.

Terrible Trifecta

George Dickle Cascade Hollow never seen it before. Hudson Baby Bourbon. "Oh your so cute in your little bottle, yes you are.":grin: but I couldn't get past the adult price of $45.00 for 375ml

Vintage 23 Rye - $109.99

Whaaaaaaaat? PM me your address, I'll get a check in the mail :D

Whaaaaaaaat? PM me your address, I'll get a check in the mail :D

Yeah, already received a couple of inquiries 'bout dat ... PM me and I'll let you know where it is - maybe they'll ship it to you.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!