What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

^Man, I love that stuff.^

Tonight I cracked open a Masterson's Batch 3 I found. Actually didn't know which batch it was as it was in a sealed box, but the price was right so I grabbed it.

It's a nice pour. On the nose it's sweet and inviting. The palate gets that initially very odd kind of bitter greens flavor, described elsewhere as tumeric or mustard. I definitely get the mustard greens, almost overwhelmingly. Nice little finish, but nothing epic. At first I thought the odd flavor was going to make me dislike it, but after a few sips it grew on me and added to the complexity I thought. This will be one I enjoy coming back to. I may even pick up another batch to compare it to, I've heard good things about the 5.

Moved on to Jefferson10yr batch 76, which is a super easy drinker but didn't hit any notes worth mentioning after the Mastersons.

Moved further on to a Hi-time selected Jefferson10yr, sans batch number, which I am currently enjoying very much and disappointed I didn't buy a couple more as it was a great price. Sweet and spicy in all the right places, nice pleasantly long round rye finish.

only question is, what's next?

The Batch 3 I opened recently didn't have any of the opening bitterness you noted that I could find. It made the Boss Hog taste like overpriced Masterson's!

Hit something new for the last two nights, Lot 40.

I have to admit, this one is a funny for being a 100% rye, very unlike others on the market that I have had. The rye is much more muted, but still very much there.

The nose is confusing knowing what the product is, in a blind sample, I would almost think I would confuse it for brandy, either a grape or apple, its super fruity and sweet. Hits that way in the tasting too, but the rye comes through all this. Medium bodied, nice bit of viscosity in the mouth, velvety almost.

Decently medium length finish, very, very drinkable.

The fruit in this completely baffles me, way more than other ryes I've every had. As I drank this, I kept thinking that with a lot of age on this, this could have the potential to be something like the Hirsch ryes, super dark, syrupy, woody-in the good way, and have the sweeter balance to bring it all together in harmony.

I only hope that they pack some of these away for a long time, this is a pretty killer rye in my taste book.

B

Yes, brandy, that's it exactly. Not a dry cognac, rather a fruity, sweeter, floral style, due in no small part by being the product of a single pot still. The original Lot 40 from 20 years ago was the creation of Master Distiller Mike Booth using a formula that had been in his family for 7 generations. It is in fact named for a parcel of land, lot 40, owned by his ancestor Joshua Booth. Though now retired Mr. Booth was consulted on this new Lot 40 expression.

This is not the same as the Alberta sourced Whistlepig, Mastersons, et al, rather it's the creation of Hiram Walker/Corby using their own 100% rye recipe. There are those who say Lot 40 is not a robust dram like the U.S. styles, well of course not nor is it intended to be. Veal isn't steak but both have their adherents. I like it.

Good comparison. Having had the other all rye Canadian variants, I can say I'm not the biggest fan of them.

But this, I could drink everyday without issue. This will be bunkered away for many rainy days ahead.

B

Threads merged...it's not Winter yet in this (or any) hemisphere.

This is not the same as the Alberta sourced Whistlepig, Mastersons, et al, rather it's the creation of Hiram Walker/Corby using their own 100% rye recipe. There are those who say Lot 40 is not a robust dram like the U.S. styles, well of course not nor is it intended to be.

I'm not sure how much difference it makes to the taste but I've been told that ~10% of the rye used is malted. Second, the aging occurs in used cooperage (there may be some new wood in the mix), so it will be less "robust" than American straight ryes that come out of new wood.

Finishing a bottle of CETH, mighty fine rye.

I don't think this one has gotten the true credit it deserves, a sleeper of a rye.

B

I think you're correct Port, both on the rye malt percentage and mixed cooperage. I believe they do that to create different profiles for their different brands.

Yeah, a little snowy and cold in Indy tonight. I had a shot of HW Double Rye and a shot of Jeff 10. Sipped them to savor. Hit the spot!

I don't think this one has gotten the true credit it deserves, a sleeper of a rye.

B

I really enjoyed this when I tried it, but just can't hand over what they want for it. At $40 (maybe even $50), it would be an auto-buy for me.

Sa18 again tonight. Afraid it won't last long. Only BTAC I got this year. If I could only get one.....this is the one.

Worked the GDR bottle hard last night. I don't like it neat but it is fantastic as a mixer and along with RITTBIB they are my go to ryes.

Jeff 10 rye NCF. So good. I shaked it up first this time.

Hirsch 22 rye. Fantastic.

Edited by tigerlam92

1:1 vatting of Hirsch22 and Saz18. Spicy, woody, mothbally?, interesting. Love the Saz solo and indifferent on the Hirsch and the old church pew flavor. Thanks to Chainwhip for the vatting idea.

I happen to like to chew on church pew ;)

I actually enjoyed that 1:1 vatting.

I'll probably give it a 2:1 ratio next time of Saz18:Hirsch22 or maybe even a Saz18:Willett24 blend.

Opened up a bottle of Hirsch 22y last night. Has a great nose and like the length of the finish but obviously heavy on the wood and some bitterness to it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!