What beer are you drinking? Winter 13/14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A couple of 2XIPA by Southern Tier along with a fried ham sammy and that's the end of the X-Mas ham.

I went through a few things last night with a relative that is fairly new to the hobby,but he seemed to really enjoy himself......until this morning that is.:grin:Lag Sucks,Green Bullet,Rochefort 10,Burton Barton,Le Freak and Autumnal Fire was enough to bury us both last night.

Co-ordinating calendars for 2014 with Mrssmokinjoe with a Deschutes Obsidian Stout.

Anyone know what the difference is, if any, between the gold cap and white cap versions of the BORIS?

The blue cap is the 100th batch of BORIS, don't know anything about gold or white though.

[ATTACH]17404[/ATTACH]

The dirty dozen. This was the lineup for New Year's Eve (shared, of course). 12 over 12%.

Nice! A local bar does a Nightmare Before Christmas with 20-25 of their taps having all high-gravity, high ABV beers. BCS and KBS are always there (and gone in about 3 hours) and the rest, well, who knows? A keg of Bell's Batch 9000 was in this year's lineup having been stashed away for several years. Delicious...

-- Ravensfire

The blue cap is the 100th batch of BORIS, don't know anything about gold or white though.

Thanks for the info, Josh!

Put back a Founders Breakfast Stout while watching a movie with the wife. Can't say that I enjoy an everyday off-the-shelf beer more than an FBS. :)

Tried my first Country Boy Jalapeno Smoked Porter tonight and all I can saw is wow! Heavy initial pepper on the nose that jumps back into the beer after a few minutes and leaves you searching for it. A well balanced and flavorful delight!

Last night we had an oyster and gumbo party at my sister-in-law's. My son bought me Bell's Special Double Cream Stout. It was delicious.

Tim

Given all the white stuff still coming down, New Belgium Accumulation White IPA was only appropriate.

A little beer tasting last night to ward off the chill. After a week in Hawaii it is bad enough to have to come home and temps hovering around 32 with expectations of single digit lows the next couple of days only add insult to injury.

post-8493-14489820286992_thumb.jpg

A focus on stouts and porters but a good bit of variety including the first FFF's I have tried. My plans to take notes quickly evaporated so this is what I can recall.

post-8493-1448982028727_thumb.jpg

Lineup included several home brews from "the Mostly Harmless Brewing Company", a couple of friends who enjoy making their own.

Hair of the Dog Oatmeal Stout - Didn't turn out well as noted by the makers themselves. Overly carbonated and spewing freely when opened so that by the time you drink it the beer is practically flat.

Senor Saison - a jalapeno saison that was pretty good and might make a nice companion with some tequila

MoMo Smash - a single malt, single hops beer with Maris Otter malt and Mosaic hops, hence the name, and some candied ginger. Cold it was hard to pick out the ginger but it was better a little closer to room temperature.

Others were:

AleSmith Speedway Stout - solid with lots of coffee flavors but not spectacular. Then again it was one of the later beers tried.

Sierra Nevada Brux - A nice moderate sour that helped close out the evening.

Cigar City Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - excellent stout, thick and chewy.

FFF Alpha Klaus Xmas Porter - Way too hoppy for a porter for my taste. I suppose that is their trademark. Not very balanced to me. Similar reports from others.

FFF Gumballhead - A bit out of place with the heavier beers but you don't turn down the opportunity when you have it so one of the first tried. Fairly intense grapefruit hoppy bitterness. Not really my thing but others liked it.

FFF Robert the Bruce - Again a bit underwhelmed. Tried it compared to Dirty Bastard and Claymore which I liked better.

Great Divide Claymore Wee Heavy - an interesting smoked malt flavor not present in the other two scotch ales.

Founders Dirty Bastard - always reliable, this was my favorite of the three Scotch ales we tried.

Dogfish Head Ta Henket - A bit like drinking spaghetti or a pizza. A lot of oregano. A bit odd.

A growler of Burnt Hickory Brewing Kolb's Farm Barrel Aged Imperial Stout with coffee and honey. Aged in Prichard Double Chocolate bourbon barrels. Surprisingly excellent! This a small local brewery in Kennesaw, GA. Don't think it is available in a bottle.

Chimay Blue - Always good!

De Struise Brouwers Rio Reserva - Absolutely superb! A twice barrel aged Belgian Quad. First in wine barrels for a year then in bourbon. Would buy more despite the high price if I could get it. But I suspect it would be hard to find now.

post-8493-14489820287511_thumb.jpg

Scaldis Noel Belgian Dark Ale - Excellent

Scaldis Prestige barrel aged Belgian Pale Ale - Pricey but also excelent.

Through in some pork salami, lardo and few other treats and it was a good night!

post-8493-14489820286519_thumb.jpg

post-8493-1448982028676_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820286519_thumb.jpg

post-8493-1448982028676_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820286992_thumb.jpg

post-8493-1448982028727_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820287511_thumb.jpg

Just bought a 4-pack of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout and also a 4-pack of Oskar Blues Ten Fidy. I've had the Sam Smith's before but damn this Ten Fidy is a hell of a stout! Good but wow!

Moving on to the Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. While this stuff is definitely good it pales in comparison to the Ten Fidy!

Drinking a Lagunitas Sucks! So excited that I was able to buy this in Utah. The times, they are a changin'

While trying to confuse my body into thinking it is actually summer, I washed down a mess of BW3 carribbean jerk wings with a tall Blue Moon.

It worked for a little while.

Backwoods Bastard. It's the tits.

Sergio's in Louisville put a 2011 backwoods keg on the other night. Damn tasty.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!