What beer are you drinking? Winter 13/14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It was a Stone afternoon while working on the bathroom floor. A Smoke Porter w/ Vanilla bean (quite nice!) to start and a Double Bastard to finish (ahh, so good!).

-- Ravensfire

Founders RIS. Not a standout in any one sense, but its a beyond serviceable example of the style.

Been cleaning the fridge out of IPA's the last few day. Magic Hat Blind Faith is up at present and doing quite nicely.

Went out with a few friends last night and tried some Lips Of Faith - Cigar City/New Belgium Collaboration beer. I had never had a chile beer before, so was excited to try it. The nose on it was decent, but overall it was pretty pedestrian. I was expecting a bit more after how much the venue was pumping it up, but I don't think I'd go out of my way for it in the future.

A little beer sampling last night.

post-8493-14489820392715_thumb.jpg

DFH Midas Touch

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Bruery 6 Geese a Laying - mixed reviews but I liked it. Not particularly tart though.

Oak Aged Yeti Stout

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Stout - the chocolate nibs made it noticeably more bitter than the regular Yeti.

Mother Earth Silent Night Stout

DFH Miles Davis Bitches Brew - Always good!

Breury Smoking Wood - Top beer of the evening

Stone Crime Chile Beer - One fan but most, including me thought it too much.

Bell's Smitten Rye Ale - New and decent but a bit of an outlier in this group

Ninja Porter - An oddly light porter. Wasn't my cup of porter.

Toward the end of the evening we shifted to a variety of whiskey at which point it gets a bit hazy... :cool:

post-8493-14489820392269_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820392488_thumb.jpg

Okocim O.K. Full Pale Ale. A nice and easy drinking Polish brew, after a long hard Monday.

3adaga8u.jpg

Enjoying a 72-degree North Texas evening with this BCBS. I was trying to recreate the experience of the alltech kentucky bourbon barrel ale I had in OH over Xmas and ... frankly, this missed the mark pretty wildly. However, it's not without its charms (*cough* 14.9 abv).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You prefer ALLTECH to this? I know opinions and tastes vary but...this one leaves me speechless. Alltech is far and away the worst Lex made beer imo. Very interesting.

You prefer ALLTECH to this? I know opinions and tastes vary but...this one leaves me speechless. Alltech is far and away the worst Lex made beer imo. Very interesting.

Alltech beers make me :puke:

Split an NG Serendipity with the wife while having dinner. Next I moved onto some Ten FIDY. For a nightcap, I'll probably have a smallish pour so I can get the next VBT up. Cheers everyone!

Yes, yes, I know...from the people who forced Town Branch on us. But I've had two of these BCBSs now, a week apart, and each time with a clean palate, and each time it's seemed a little sour to me. Perhaps I simply don't like stouts as much as I used to, or maybe the alltech got extra points for being consumed during Xmas while on vaca visiting family ... or it could be that the mountain cedar that comes w/ these mid-70s temps has impaired my tasting abilities (as most all North Texans have clogged and/or runny noses right now).

I've got a Velvet Merkin on deck -- here's to hoping my tastes are more in line with conventional wisdom on that one!

Hey no need to rationalize it. You like what you like. Wish it was easier for you to get (and the BoCo for me)!

I love GI Bourbon County Stout and all of the variants I've had. But I also get why some people don't dig it. As my buddy Scott said following his first sip of it, "It's like beer syrup." And after his fourth sip, he went back to session beers. More for me!

Since there was a twinkle of snow flakes in the air this afternoon for about 3 minutes, I'm going with one of my remaining few GL Christmas Ales. I have thoroughly enjoyed this beer over the last month, but am happy to be nearing the end of them...and moving on.

Plain old Asahi Black, followed by Asahi Black, then an Asahi Black, at my favorite old sushi haunt/bar. Like seeing an old friend.

Finally it's Hopslam release day for St. Louis so had a couple of glasses at the bar (and managed to grab a couple of six-packs before everyone ran out).

-- Ravensfire

No Hopslam for me this year unless something changes. I am enjoying a GLB Silver and Gold IPA. It is an older brew that I have not had before today. At first is was sort of blah, nothing special but as I got into the glass it has really change my mind and I'm enjoying this pour. always say that the mark of a good or great beer is that it will improve as it sits in your glass.

Founder's Centennial IPA that psychologically was needed (along with a few more) 5 hours ago...Is it Friday, yet???

Brooklyn Black Ops tonight. One of the most complete bourbon noses I've ever found on a BBA. Char, vanilla, even a nice fruitiness. Lots of roasted malts and chocolate on the palate. Good body too, thick but bubblier than most stouts. Champagne yeast ftw? It's pretty damned good stuff, but it comes w/a hefty enough price tag that I'm not sure it will be a repeat purchase. At least not a yearly one.

Stone Enjoy By 02/14/14 IPA. Happy to find it and enjoyed it a lot.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!