What beer are you drinking? Winter 13/14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Etown just too damned far!
Don't be such a girl!:grin:BTW I'm three deep in the Ruthless Rye already.

Unita Crooked Smile Imperial Pilsner. Big beer, I like this one. Glad to see the craft brewers producing quality lagers now and not just ales as in the past.

Check out my bourbon county stash.

So not fair to tempt us poor suffering souls like that!

-- Ravensfire

First go around with Alaskan Brewing Co. Hop Thermia. Pretty darn good and dangerously easy to drink.

AtG Five Roses: A Rick Astley Joint, a Wild Kolsch Aged in Red Cypress. It's interesting enough, though I wish it leaned more towards the wild side and less the Kolsch. Probably never gonna give never gonna give this one a second chance.

Well what was left of my six-pack of Ruthless Rye I accidentally left outside in this incredible cold. :(

Unsurprisingly they are frozen solid.

Oops.

First go around with Alaskan Brewing Co. Hop Thermia. Pretty darn good and dangerously easy to drink.

I'm a big fan of most of the Alaskan Brewery stuff.

Finally getting a chance to try a Terrapin Wake n Bake stout. It's funny how close this is to Founders Breakfast Stout. Perhaps a little more coffee influence, but overall a very solid beer.

AtG Five Roses: A Rick Astley Joint, a Wild Kolsch Aged in Red Cypress. It's interesting enough, though I wish it leaned more towards the wild side and less the Kolsch. Probably never gonna give never gonna give this one a second chance.

Lazy Magnolia Sweet potato stout.

Having this one tonight. To me the nose is absolutely filthy w that sweet potato smell, though I've read where others didn't think so. Pretty basic milk stout other than that. Simple, sweet, a bit thin.

Having a 13' BoCo and a 13' Central Waters BBS side by side. The proof is in the proof, the lower ABV CW is scary drinkable at 9.4% really highlights the bourbon flavor. BoCo is what BoCo is ... dark chocolate motor oil, needs some time in the cellar to reveal it's supremacy.

Last night I had an Arbor Brewing Mr. Delicious. Similar to Hopslam but lacking that tart grapefruit taste but a little maltier. I'd take it over Dogfishhead 90. A nice pour.

Grain Belt Premium. The finest American Lager IMHO brewed by August Schell Brewing Co. New Ulm, MN. The second oldest family owned brewery in the United States. It has been cranking out the brews since 1860 or so. It has been my constant on hand beer for about 20 years. I am a micro enthusiast and have homebrewed a fair amount myself.

Kept it local with Sweetwater IPA to end the night. So glad they went to 12 packs...now where are those cans? :cool:

Some Bear Republic Racer 5, and Flat 12 Half Cycle IPA. The Racer takes it, although neither is anything overly special. Looking to finish these off w Deschutes Hop Henge, which just arrived in Lex yesterday w00t!

Reading about all this Hopslam Hysteria got me thirsty. Can't get it where I am, so today I asked my beer guy for a hoppy alternative. Got a 6-pack of this HopNosh IPA, from Uinta in Utah, which is new to our area. It's a nice post-workout cooldown, on a warm NoTX afternoon.yguqy6ym.jpg

Incidentally, I also told my beer guy and my wine guy about my experience of finding BCBS too sour. Beer guy said just let the last 2 sit for a while, as time might make 'em better to me. Wine guy said he'd had a similar experience of once finding a different stout sour, and said that he thought it was due to the high-abv, a component his stout shared w/ the BCBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading about all this Hopslam Hysteria got me thirsty. Can't get it where I am, so today I asked my beer guy for a hoppy alternative. Got a 6-pack of this HopNosh IPA, from Uinta in Utah, which is new to our area. It's a nice post-workout cooldown, on a warm NoTX afternoon.yguqy6ym.jpg

Incidentally, I also told my beer guy and my wine guy about my experience of finding BCBS too sour. Beer guy said just let the last 2 sit for a while, as time might make 'em better to me. Wine guy said he'd had a similar experience of once finding a different stout sour, and said that he thought it was due to the high-abv, a component his stout shared w/ the BCBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You made a good choice picking up that Uinta IPA. It's a regular for me.

Heading to a party tonight being thrown by a Scotsman, which will include Scottish fare (Hopefully some excellent whisky!). I plan on bringing one of my favorite beers made in Scotland to spice things up a bit, Old Engine Oil.

ura8u9ev.jpg Check out my bourbon county stash.

This made me LOL.

Currently enjoying Ballast Point Sculpin, a local beer that's getting a lot of notoriety. The ratebeer/beeradvocate scores say it all. Used to be a well-kept secret for locals, but no more.

Also have a small stash (just a few small bottles) of St. Bernardus Abt. 12 at the moment. Great stuff, but it'll co$t you. I watched a video about the brewery... these people even grow their own hops on site. That's pretty hardcore.

Someone previously posted about Stone Southern Charred being rather not so good. I have a single bottle of that squared away for a rainy day. Hoping my experience is better. Definitely true that mixing hops with bourbon barrel is not automatically a marriage made in heaven, from past experience.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!