What bourbon did you pass up today? Winter '13/'14

tylermke
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

To keep in line with the other threads, starting this one up for the Winter.

While out grabbing some Christmas refreshments, passed on some non age stated VOB BiB. First time I've actually noticed this in the store. Probably wouldn't even have noticed unless it was pointed out.

Also passed on some AE rye at $80 and some EH Taylor Small Batch at $47.

Too much it feels like... ugh. Over the past few weeks I've passed up all the Jefferson's 25 and 30, some Dickel 9 and Angel's Envy Cask Strength. Not even room or reason to spend I guess.

Rittenhouse rye 23 @199 25@ 215

Should I go back??

Also passed on Jeffersons 21, 25, 30, and chefs collaboration. PHC 12 and 13. CEHTBP I have a few... And several others

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by dreasoner

Passed on Jeffersons Bourbon 21 and Rye 21. Also the 25 year as well. Just too expensive to pull the trigger. I have a self instituted $100 limit on a bottle.

Rittenhouse rye 23 @199 25@ 215

Should I go back??

Also passed on Jeffersons 21, 25, 30, and chefs collaboration. PHC 12 and 13. CEHTBP I have a few... And several others

The Rittenhouse is not that far over retail,the 23 was $179 and 25 $199 I believe at retail when they were released,so you decide they are both great whiskies but I would give the nod to the 23yr of the ones I've had in the past.

The Rittenhouse is not that far over retail,the 23 was $179 and 25 $199 I believe at retail when they were released,so you decide they are both great whiskies but I would give the nod to the 23yr of the ones I've had in the past.

I was going to shoot for the 23 from what I read. They had one 25 and 3 of the 23 and been there a couple years. I'll be going back. Thanks!

passed up lots of age stated Barton in 90 and 100 proof, and 1.75's of AAA 10 year. PM if you want the louisville locations.......

Passed on EHT SmB @ $53 and EHT SB @ $80, though it was nice to see 'em around. Also passed on 3 varieties of Michter's @ $41.

Passed on Hirsch 20-year for $119.99. I've only had the small batch and it is solid, but I could not see this one being worth that price tag, even if we don't get it in my home area.

Stagg Jr @ $59.99...just don't feel like paying for Jr same amount (not that long ago) that I once paid for Sr. Plus, just haven't read or heard anything impressive about Jr anyways.

Stagg Jr @ $59.99...just don't feel like paying for Jr same amount (not that long ago) that I once paid for Sr. Plus, just haven't read or heard anything impressive about Jr anyways.

I really like Stagg Jr. A friend and I did a side-by-side with PHC 6th (133.2), ECBP (134.2) and Stagg Jr. (134.4) and while the Jr didn't wow either of us, it's a very respectable barrel proof. It was a bit simple compared to the others when consumed neat, but it makes a fantastic old fashioned and can still be enjoyed neat or with water. IMO $60 is a decent price for a barrel proof 9-ish year old bourbon with BT quality.

I like Stagg Jr. as well. I would pass it up at $60, but have bought it, and would buy it again under $50. To be honest, after the initial salvo of negative comments regarding Jr., I've read way more positive than negative about Jr.

Sent from my KF using Tapatalk 2

I really like Stagg Jr. A friend and I did a side-by-side with PHC 6th (133.2), ECBP (134.2) and Stagg Jr. (134.4) and while the Jr didn't wow either of us, it's a very respectable barrel proof. It was a bit simple compared to the others when consumed neat, but it makes a fantastic old fashioned and can still be enjoyed neat or with water. IMO $60 is a decent price for a barrel proof 9-ish year old bourbon with BT quality.

This is exactly how i feel about Stagg Jr.

Passed on a few Hirsch 21 yo ryes for $199.99 ea, a little steep. I have a H22 open and still trying to figure it if I like it--definitely getting better with a little airtime.

I posted this VOB BiB comparo a few weeks ago, noting I passed on one, but not the other.

ezadabyh.jpg

This next pic was taken tonight...I thought to flip these over after a few observant SBers noted (in that white-hot VOB BIB Ol' No. 6 thread, I think) that sibling 1792 might've dropped its own statement. At $22, I still bought one of two.

ma2ate3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passed up not one but three of the original Jeff Ocean for $189.99. Not so surprising they are still on the shelf I suppose.

post-8493-14489820271337_thumb.jpg

Also saw a Hirsch 28 bourbon for a very economical $371.99...

Interesting but but not that interesting!

post-8493-14489820270229_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820270784_thumb.jpg

It's about time I start getting back to the lower-mid shelf everyday pours after abusing my wallet for the past couple months but I couldn't quite pull the trigger on anything today. Passed on some McKenna BiB, OGD BiB, Four Roses Single Barrel for $35... the usual suspects. Need to clear a little more room on the shelf, first.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!