What bourbon did you pass up today? Winter '13/'14

tylermke
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on black maple hill for $40. I'm very confused about this bourbon. I have seem this bourbon earn the highest ratings from some writers but others dismiss it as mediocre. The one I see is the small batch NAS.

Passed on black maple hill for $40. I'm very confused about this bourbon. I have seem this bourbon earn the highest ratings from some writers but others dismiss it as mediocre. The one I see is the small batch NAS.

The "highest ratings" were for older one-off releases like the age-stated Black Maple Hill 16.

No one knows what is in the current small batch NAS stuff. It is released so infrequently now I think they are really struggling to find quality product to put in it. The last bottle I had tasted very young and nothing like the two year old bottle I had at home.

I was considering a few different bottles last night but couldn't pull the trigger. Balcones True Blue, Jeffersons Chefs Collaboration, Jeffersons 10 Year Rye...

Because the older age stated BMH that was well recieved was an entirely different whisky. Not knowing where it was made is another reason why I don't buy NDP mystery whisky.

I don't know if I would ever buy it again because each bottle is a mystery, but I really liked the NAS BMH I had. It was very sweet and I could taste a lot of corn.

Yeah I read up a little on the history of bmh. I decided again against it as well based on all the "mystery".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

One of the store I had gone to have started rising their prices. Just got a call for ORVW 10 and LotB but for $2xx and $3xx so forgettable it.

Not going there again sadly.

They had the best prices before too.

One of the store I had gone to have started rising their prices. Just got a call for ORVW 10 and LotB but for $2xx and $3xx so forgettable it.

Not going there again sadly.

They had the best prices before too.

I wonder how many stores have lost once-loyal customers due to trying to pull this kind of crap the last couple of years with the PVW(?) I suppose most of them don't care...the frenzied suckers will come and will pay. Some of these places are starting to remind me of used car lots.

Passed on High West Silver Western Oat. First time I've seen it, but a quick Google search at the store suggested it may just be an unfiltered version of their Vodka....made it quite easy to walk away a that point.

Passed on High West Silver Western Oat. First time I've seen it, but a quick Google search at the store suggested it may just be an unfiltered version of their Vodka....made it quite easy to walk away a that point.

It is not vodka. According to High West, they distill it to 176 proof, higher than is allowed for bourbon but definitely not GNS. I think it shares some flavor characteristics with tequila.

I do like to use it as a mixer in lieu of vodka. Makes a great Bloody Mary.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

PHC 6 for $169.99. In a local store that I haven't been in for a couple of years or more. I said the last time I was in the store I said not to ever return. Unfortunately it is still ran by the same person.

Hopefully I'll have better resolve in the future to never return.

I wouldn't write the store off entirely Will, in fact I would tract it through the State Licensing Authority and when it changed hands pay the new owner a visit to see if he has any deals on unsold stock.

Another place I frequent and probably not coming again. I know them fairly well.

3x ECBP for $98!

2x AECS $199

Did buy a CEHT Barrel Proof unfiltered.

Another place I frequent and probably not coming again. I know them fairly well.

3x ECBP for $98!

2x AECS $199

Did buy a CEHT Barrel Proof unfiltered.

Caskers.com had a AE "complete set" (bourbon, rye, cask strength) for $330 this weekend. My head was scratching at that one.

It is not vodka. According to High West, they distill it to 176 proof, higher than is allowed for bourbon but definitely not GNS. I think it shares some flavor characteristics with tequila.

I do like to use it as a mixer in lieu of vodka. Makes a great Bloody Mary.

Thanks, that puts a different perspective on it. It was just shy of $50, so I'm not going to rush out and grab one, but if they still have it the next time I'm in there, I'll definitely give it more consideration. I do like a good Bloody Mary!

Not actually a bourbon, but passed on 2 bottles of Jefferson 21 year old rye at $149 a piece.

Passed on 4R Single Barrel 2013 and Secretariat for $130 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good pass! But, it looks like you scored some other bottles!

Michters 20 for $475 and Michters celebration for $3499.. Also a bunch of overpriced BTAC and pappy but what else is new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!