Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Made a bit of a trip last night to grab a couple of Bowmore Devil's Casks, one for me and one for a friend. The guy who runs the scotch section at this store is terrific to talk to - been there twice and spent 45 minutes both times just talking single malt with him. I ought to continue to visit this place at least once a month and get on his "good customer" radar.

While there I also added an Ardbeg 10 to the basket due to severe lack of peat in my bunker.

Aberlour A'bunadh batch 45, tasted out of a NEAT glass. It's no substitute for a glencairn, but it really does allow you to nose cask/barrel strength alcohol without the nose burn.
Oops, wrong thread! I guess the A'bunadh went down smoother than I realized.

Oops, wrong thread! I guess the A'bunadh went down smoother than I realized.

It happens to the best of us. :lol:

Last week I went to my honey hole for dusties and pulled the trigger on a Balvenie 25 Single Barrel for $399 that had been sitting in the case for years. This was the second most expensive bottle I've purchased and it will stay in the bunker for a special occasion.

Last week I went to my honey hole for dusties and pulled the trigger on a Balvenie 25 Single Barrel for $399 that had been sitting in the case for years. This was the second most expensive bottle I've purchased and it will stay in the bunker for a special occasion.

Would love to see a picture of that new addition!

Very nice! Hope you enjoy whae you finally crack it open. Had a chance to try a Balvenie 30yo recently and it was superb.

Very nice! Hope you enjoy whae you finally crack it open. Had a chance to try a Balvenie 30yo recently and it was superb.

The 30 is definitely on my wish list, but its too dang expensive. The Tun's are much more affordable and easily available in my area when they are released. I have Batch 6 x2 at $249 apiece, Batch 8 x2 (courtesy of sister in London) and Batch 9 x2 at $209 apiece. My sister and brother who do a lot of international travel have been looking for travel/retail Tun's but with no luck yet. Lately, I've been hunting for single malts because the bourbon racket is too damn competitive and I'm just fed up with the whole thing.

Thanks Max - I'll keep that in mind. My store has it for $599 so I would probably save a few bucks. That is bourbon season though. If my shopkeeper gives me a call like this past fall and holds BTAC and Pappy for me again this year, I may be a little light in the wallet.

The better your relationship with your local shopkeeper, the poorer and drunker you will be.

Five Hundred and Ninety Nine Dooooollars!!!

Massive SALE!!!!!!

Five Hundred and Twenty Dooooooollars!!!!

Batch 6 for Two Hundred and Forty Nine Doooooooollars!!!!!

Oh boy, you scotch fellers....:lol:

And, your bourbon brothers are bitchin' because we paid $100 (A WHOLE $100!!!!!!) for arguably the best whiskey on the planet, in George T Stagg...

Perspective, I guess.

:toast:

Massive SALE!!!!!!

And, your bourbon brothers are bitchin' because we paid $100 (A WHOLE $100!!!!!!) for arguably the best whiskey on the planet, in George T Stagg...

Perspective, I guess.

Massive SALE!!!!!!

Perspective, I guess.

Pappy, Pappy Pappy, $250 dooooooolars for Pappy 23!!! My precious...

It is all about perspective. The prices for the Tun's were excellent deals considering typically huge markups at retail and secondary market value. Binny's retails the Balvenie 30 for $799 + 10% cook county tax. So Max's deal of $520 out the door is an incredible deal. Of course, with any whisk(e)y price, it must be worth the price to you and only you. If you want to pay $100+ for GTS when it retails for $70 - go for it. The $399 for the Balvenie 25, which was bottled in 2003 and no longer available without a dusty find, was a steal considering that its current value on an open market is 2-3x that price, if not more. Looking for a good deal is part of the fun whether whisky or whiskey hunting - even if you don't end up pulling the trigger - and if you, me or anyone else can afford it, who really gives a crap?

I'm not sure what your first paragraph is all about...

Please pardon my bemusement at the plight of malt drinkers and the prices that are found on many of them. Particularly, as it relates to many of the discussions we've had here on SB regarding escalating bourbon prices and the angst that is causing. As I referred to, we tend to bitch on $5 upward movements on our favorite bottles, and cringe when possibly the greatest whiskey available anywhere, crosses into 3 digit territory! :lol: I'm not arguing any point on worth or anyones ability to buy something they want, just commenting on the eye-popping pricing on some of these whiskies. I agree with you on one thing, and it's why I said it to begin with in my post...It is relative...

I'm not sure what your first paragraph is all about...

Please pardon my bemusement at the plight of malt drinkers and the prices that are found on many of them. Particularly, as it relates to many of the discussions we've had here on SB regarding escalating bourbon prices and the angst that is causing. As I referred to, we tend to bitch on $5 upward movements on our favorite bottles, and cringe when possibly the greatest whiskey available anywhere, crosses into 3 digit territory! :lol: I'm not arguing any point on worth or anyones ability to buy something they want, just commenting on the eye-popping pricing on some of these whiskies. I agree with you on one thing, and it's why I said it to begin with in my post...It is relative...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Truly Limited Edition scotch is a millionaire's game. The amusing flip side of this is that the pricing generally guarantees that you can get whatever you want as long as you are willing to pay for it. While I don't really balk anymore at dropping up to $150 or so for a bottle of something I truly want, above that I start to get uncomfortable. The most expensive bottle I own is a 1973 Bruichladdich that my wife got me for my 30th birthday. It was $285+ tax, so actually very reasonable considering the market. Thankfully, I live in the DC area, so I am able to frequent a number of truly amazing whisk(e)y bars to get a lot of really expensive curiosity out of my system. $40 to try something once hits my wallet a lot better than $500-$1000 for a bottle.

if you, me or anyone else can afford it, who really gives a crap?

Apparently some folks on the Scotch boards do because they make repetitive posts about picking up several bottles at a time of high priced stuff. One gets the impression they enjoy pointing out what they can afford.

It's just whisky guys and what's the point of it all if you can't drink, enjoy, and share with other whisky lovers? Price wise, who gives a flying f¥€k?! As long as you're drinking and sharing pours, why should it matter if you're pouring from a $10 bottle or a $1000 bottle?

Just because you wouldn't pay that price doesn't mean you should throw stones at the "pigs" for being what you consider "more equal" - live & let live IMO.

Please pardon my bemusement at the plight of malt drinkers and the prices that are found on many of them. Particularly, as it relates to many of the discussions we've had here on SB regarding escalating bourbon prices and the angst that is causing. As I referred to, we tend to bitch on $5 upward movements on our favorite bottles, and cringe when possibly the greatest whiskey available anywhere, crosses into 3 digit territory! :lol:

Honestly, who gives a feck. I mean I (say I) wouldn't pay that much for anything, and i don't actively look for most of this, but if I stumbled across a Tun? Who knows. At any rate is it any worse than someone posting a pic of AE Cask or some wildly overpriced TX bourbon? To each their own, live and let and all of that.

It's just whisky guys and what's the point of it all if you can't drink, enjoy, and share with other whisky lovers? Price wise, who gives a flying f¥€k?! As long as you're drinking and sharing pours, why should it matter if you're pouring from a $10 bottle or a $1000 bottle?

Just because you wouldn't pay that price doesn't mean you should throw stones at the "pigs" for being what you consider "more equal" - live & let live IMO.

Sorry Joe - not directed at you but at the comments regarding the apparent need for some people to show off. I'm sufficiently chided and apologize if my post came off too gruff.

Since I started this mess, I'm guessing this is directed at me, Johnny? If so, I'll state AGAIN, I am only bemused at the prices that are thrown about on these, and poked a little fun at the discussion on "sales and good deals", and compared it to the multiple price discussions we have had on SB of late. Certainly, that can't be a large problem for you? I never said one shouldn't pay whatever price may be on any of them, I didn't say anyone is wrong for doing so, I didn't throw stones of any kind, and I certainly did not say I wouldn't pay whatever price.

Sheeze, two posts in the Foreign Whiskey section, and I got one guy lookin' at me like I got 7 heads for suggesting he look for a bourbon in Canada, and now feathers flyin' here because I'm just........I'll stay up top.

Ha, I was mostly joking in my post on the bourbon up north, I tried to convey that in my response to you but It did come off harsher than I meant. Though I did actually think you had 7 heads... ;)

As for the topic at hand, I went ahead and ordered a few bottles of Glendronach 12 (aka 18) to bunker for when the 12 really becomes 12. Next I'll have to hit the 15 and 18 when they are about to hit their actual age statement. Also grabbed a few Bruichladdich Rocks for the bunker.

As for the topic at hand, I went ahead and ordered a few bottles of Glendronach 12 (aka 18) to bunker for when the 12 really becomes 12. Next I'll have to hit the 15 and 18 when they are about to hit their actual age statement.

Say what now.....??

I went ahead and ordered a few bottles of Glendronach 12 (aka 18) to bunker for when the 12 really becomes 12. Next I'll have to hit the 15 and 18 when they are about to hit their actual age statement.

I guess you're referring to the fact that Glendronach was closed between 1996 and May 2002. The 12 yo that has been bottled in the last couple of years has actually been older. Theoretically, starting June this year they will have 12yo whisky that was produced since re-opening. So any 12yo bottled in late 2013 and up to June will be no younger than 17. The 15yo must also be from pre 1996 stock, making it also at least 17yo. The 18's, 21's & single casks are the only current age stated botlings that theoretically don't contain older stock. Having said that, just because the 12 is really 17 doesn't mean it tastes like a 17yo. They are likely using a high proportion of re-fill (or even more tired) casks to make up the 12, more first fill for the 15, and saving the fresher casks for the older expressions.

The good news is that the first three batches of the Cask Strength have been great and likely contain only whisky distilled since the re-opening. Therefore, when the 12 & 15 become really 12&15 again, the quality will likely still be high. What is unknown at the moment is what the distillate made by current ownership (took over in 2008) will be like once it comes of age around 2020.

Edited by portwood

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!