Empty Bottle Support Group 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I emptied my bottle of Pappy 23 and really can't say I'm that sorry to see it go. It was excellent Bourbon and I don't regret buying, nor drinking, nor sharing it waith friends; but it's become such a 'unicorn' in the last few years that I'm kinda glad it's no longer taking up space on my shelf. I may have to find a spot for the empty bottle, however.... It's signed by JVWIII.

Finished off a W12 last night. I know some of you think it has gone down hill in the past year or so, but the bottle I had was excellent.

I emptied my bottle of Pappy 23 and really can't say I'm that sorry to see it go. It was excellent Bourbon and I don't regret buying, nor drinking, nor sharing it waith friends; but it's become such a 'unicorn' in the last few years that I'm kinda glad it's no longer taking up space on my shelf. I may have to find a spot for the empty bottle, however.... It's signed by JVWIII.

Fill it with SB blend and share with friends who are free of the whiskey nervosa curse! They will probably never know the differnece and think you are a demi-god... :lol:

Fill it with SB blend and share with friends who are free of the whiskey nervosa curse! They will probably never know the differnece and think you are a demi-god... :lol:

And that's probably the reason those empties are on ebay (for more than unopened bottles of other really decent bourbons at liquor stores!)

In the past lil bit W12, EWSB 03, JB Sig Craft, 4RSmB, ETL, and a Tornado have bit the dust.

That would be, at a minimum, disingenuous, no? :bigeyes: I figure, if they knew enough to respect a bottle of Pappy-23 for what it is, rather than for the hype; then, they'll like a pour of some other nice Bourbon. If all I wanted was to impress fools, I guess I could refill it with ordinary stuff, and serve it to someone I don't really care much about... but, where would the fun be in that? :rolleyes:

That would be, at a minimum, disingenuous, no? :bigeyes: I figure, if they knew enough to respect a bottle of Pappy-23 for what it is, rather than for the hype; then, they'll like a pour of some other nice Bourbon. If all I wanted was to impress fools, I guess I could refill it with ordinary stuff, and serve it to someone I don't really care much about... but, where would the fun be in that? :rolleyes:

The biggest issue with the refill plan is that you must then proceed to let fools into your house.

And that's probably the reason those empties are on ebay (for more than unopened bottles of other really decent bourbons at liquor stores!)

Indeed it would be disingenuous. :grin: But it is a big assumption (and we all know what happens when you assume!) to think that most people outside our little circle of obsessive fanatics knows Pappy, any Pappy, for anything other than the hype.

Besides, those that do know enough to respect PVW23 for what it is will no doubt appreciate the SB Blend!

To get back on topic another Ritt DSP1 hit the circular file last night.

Edited by tanstaafl2

The biggest issue with the refill plan is that you must then proceed to let fools into your house.

Unfortunately that is almost unavoidable. But as a good host it is important to be prepared!

I remember reading a story back when I first joined, which I think was on this site, about someones good friend, who was otherwise a good guy, but had a nasty habit of going straight for the host better bottles of bourbon and guzzling it by the glass without regard for what it was with the primary purpose of drinking for effect.

Although in that case, given the potential shortages of OWA and Weller 12 these days, even the SB Blend might be too good for him... :hot:

someones good friend, who was otherwise a good guy, but had a nasty habit of going straight for the host better bottles of bourbon and guzzling it by the glass without regard for what it was with the primary purpose of drinking for effect.

I forgot I had a Taylor Tornado open, with only a pour or so left. It wasn't in the proper place on my shelf. I forgot I moved it. :rolleyes: It is now history. Sure glad I have a few more stashed away. :grin: Anyway, that, and a Binny's Weller 12 will soon be on their way to recycling heaven. :pope:

Cheers! Joe

Finished a BTEC 23 year giant french oak. My local was selling the 23 and 19 as a set for $45 total. The 23 had a little too much oak for my tastes...but for the price I can't complain. Looking forward to opening the 19 year

Finished a BTEC 23 year giant french oak. My local was selling the 23 and 19 as a set for $45 total. The 23 had a little too much oak for my tastes...but for the price I can't complain. Looking forward to opening the 19 year

At that price the 19yo pretty much made up for having to suffer through the 23yo! :cool:

I don't think I have seen a single BTEC for $45 in the past 3 years, much less two!

At that price the 19yo pretty much made up for having to suffer through the 23yo! :cool:

I don't think I have seen a single BTEC for $45 in the past 3 years, much less two!

They had the two bottles taped together and labeled as a set. I couldn't believe it... The only other bottles of BTEC I see in TX are $72

My first contributions to recycling in 2014.

SB HHSS

Binny's Weller 12

2013 ER 17

Larceny

KBS ETL

Very soon to follow will be a 200 ml of T.W. Samuels BIB, and a 1987 Cabin Still.

post-3455-14489820388064_thumb.jpg

Just poured the last of my very last bottle of PH Cognac Finished. One of my all-time favorite drams. Sorry to see that one go.

a HH BIB and a MC to the recycling bin, and the remains of my first Dickel 9/103 consolidated into a 100ml bottle so I could also get the Dickel bottle into the recycling tonight

almost done clearing near-empties outta here.

Ive decided that in 2014 I will have just the following around here on a regular basis, and only try new stuff at bars/restaurants/parties, rather than buying a bottle of something new (to me) every few weeks and being less than thrilled with half of them and having a lot of partials sitting around here

Dickel 9/103

Booker's

KCSB

WFE 8 year

HH BIB 6 year

HH 90 proof 6 year

Edited by 393foureyedfox

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!