Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ahh hell. I randomly ran into and purchased a bottle of Glen Garioch 1991 batch 38. I have peat addiction issues.

You seem perfectly normal to me.

I know Total Wine also has a Battle Hill bottling of Mortlach @ 14yrs and 43% abv. Unless I hear some pretty amazing things about that one, I'll be giving it a pass. I may take a leap of faith on a similar bottle by G&M (might be a few years older), since Ralfy seems to at least partially recommend G&M's non CS Mortlach offerings. He had a significantly older bottling, though (21 yrs vs 16 or 17 I think)./QUOTE]

Recently purchased the Battlehill Mortlach 14 at TW&L with the help of a $15 discount coupon upon purchasing at least $75 worth of spirits. It's an excellent non-peated single malt that I've been nursing along these past few nights. For my money however, the G&M bottling of the Linkwood 15 was the best I've encountered this year although it's significantly pricier than the BM 14. I've become convinced that if one desires a quality single malt at a comparative budget price, you cannot go wrong with the Bunnahaibhain 12 (46.3% ABV), $43 at your TW&L.

Talisker 10. Have a Longrow peated open at the moment, figured I'd put this one on deck.

Saw a pile of older Glenmorangie various wood finished bottles, but was disappointed that no Port Wood were among them. So, took a flyer on a Burgandy Wood finished, as a substitute.

Saw a pile of older Glenmorangie various wood finished bottles, but was disappointed that no Port Wood were among them. So, took a flyer on a Burgandy Wood finished, as a substitute.

So am I! Will be curious to hear how the burgundy finish is. Reportedly was a bit dry and earthy with some spicy bite to it. Not like the standard Glenmo at all.

There is a 21yo Sauternes finish and a 25yo Malaga finish from long ago that sound like they would be really interesting. A really spendy...

Let us know what you think of the Burgundy finished Glenmorangie. There's a store here in southeast Florida that still has one bottle each of the Burgundy and the Madeira finishes, priced at $50 apiece. I picked up their last Port wood finished bottle for only $40. Ralfy recently did a video comparing the older Port wood finish with the newer Quinta Ruban and scored each of them 89. Ian Buxton in his 101 whiskies to try before you die book, picked the Quinta Ruban as one to try, stating that it's an improvement on the older Port wood. For one thing, its ABV is 46% while the Port wood is 43%.

Not a bourbon, and certainly not an extreme dusty, but I grabbed a bottle of macallan 18 for $125 in a rough neighborhood of Chicago. Guy who owns the place said he's had it since 2008 and no ones ever asked for it. I think it's about $175-$185 at binnys

I was lucky enough a few weeks ago to run across a lowly bottle of this guy off of an older store's shelf.post-8720-14489821344659_thumb.jpg

post-8720-14489821344659_thumb.jpg

And thanks to a helluva a guy and fellow member looking out for me......post-8720-14489821344996_thumb.jpg this old thing.

I wonder if that is the same one from the Glenmo Cask Masters voting. I went to a tasting where we got to vote on a Bordeaux, Burgundy, and Manzanilla cask finish. There were a few of these tastings held throughout the world and the winner was Manzanilla which I think is or will shortly be released. They were all very good but the Manzanilla was the most pronounced.

A few of us voted for the Grand Cru Burgundy cask finish - if that is what you have, I'm glad to see they released it as well and will be looking out for it. I thought it was more subtle, which is why I preferred it.

I don't think this is that one, Mark. It's the older style label, and was in a clump of other Madeira and Sherry wood finished. So I'm guessing it was from that same time period a few years ago.

Interested in hearing more about your tasting. How long ago did you taste them?

A bottle of last years portwood Laph Cairdeas. Good price and liked it enough for a reload.

Placed an order for a Duncan Taylor Dimensions Caol Ila 29 1983/2012, should be cask 3624, for $239. It's REALLY hard to down these older Caol Ilas when they drop into my lap. I know Caol Ila will never be as collectible as the other Islay malts, but the older IBs seem to have a consistent quality that doesn't always seem to be there with other Islays, now that they are all so popular. It's surprising what $250 gets you with Caol Ila vs what $250 gets you with Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Port Ellen, or even Laphroaig as of late. What is funny about that is that I can totally buy Caol Ila's sister malt, Lagavulin 16, for almost $20 a bottle cheaper than the standard Caol Ila 12. It's a strange world we live in, fellas.

Edited by garbanzobean

It was a year ago May, if I remember ... probably should look for a Glenmo thread to elaborate to prevent thread drift here ... :) I'll take a look.

Kind of like picking a favorite child really - they were all very good. I didn't know they had done an earlier Burgundy finish, would like to hear what you think about that too Joe when you get around to it.

During our Wednesday tasting yesterday I had the opportunity to try a couple of the new Kavalan whisky's from Taiwan. The basic single malt was very much like a decently aged (10-12yo) Highland/Speyside dram, especially considering their reportedly very young age, with some nice honeyed fruit notes and a very pleasant finish but perhaps not the best QPR. The King Car whisky is a slightly different blend of barrels (8 different woods reportedly) and is a more refined and mature tasting version of the regular single malt but it is pricey as well at around $100. As a sucker for different whisky from around the world I ended up bringing the King Car Whisky home with me.

Unfortunately no clear indication that the more interesting sounding cask strength Kavalan's from the Solist line will be coming to Atlanta anytime soon.

Rather curiously on the bottom portion of the King Car box and bottle it says "Pure Taiwan" but it is covered over with tape. The phrase managed to survive however on the back of the box of the regular Single Malt.

post-8493-14489821347921_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489821348149_thumb.jpg

post-8493-1448982134837_thumb.jpg

During our Wednesday tasting yesterday I had the opportunity to try a couple of the new Kavalan whisky's from Taiwan. The basic single malt was very much like a decently aged (10-12yo) Highland/Speyside dram, especially considering their reportedly very young age, with some nice honeyed fruit notes and a very pleasant finish but perhaps not the best QPR. The King Car whisky is a slightly different blend of barrels (8 different woods reportedly) and is a more refined and mature tasting version of the regular single malt but it is pricey as well at around $100. As a sucker for different whisky from around the world I ended up bringing the King Car Whisky home with me.

Unfortunately no clear indication that the more interesting sounding cask strength Kavalan's from the *Solist line will be coming to Atlanta anytime soon.

Rather curiously on the bottom portion of the King Car box and bottle it says "Pure Taiwan" but it is covered over with tape. The phrase managed to survive however on the back of the box of the regular Single Malt.

I purchased a bottle of King Car recently, and plan on opening it after I get through my bottle of Nikka Taketsuru 17. I'm even more excited to try it after your admission that you took it home AFTER you tried it, since I didn't even sample it prior to talking myself into buying it. I'm considering bugging my local bottle shop about getting the Solist bottlings as they become available in MD. Most folk seem spun up about the sherry cask, but I'm more excited about the bourbon cask, personally.

*The intentional misspelling of Solist also makes it potentially a fun whisky to share with friends, as it provides a fun anecdote beyond "This whisky is from Taiwan. Also, Taiwanese whisky is really good."

Edited by garbanzobean

I purchased a bottle of King Car recently, and plan on opening it after I get through my bottle of Nikka Taketsuru 17. I'm even more excited to try it after your admission that you took it home AFTER you tried it, since I didn't even sample it prior to talking myself into buying it. I'm considering bugging my local bottle shop about getting the Solist bottlings as they become available in MD. Most folk seem spun up about the sherry cask, but I'm more excited about the bourbon cask, personally.

*The intentional misspelling of Solist also makes it potentially a fun whisky to share with friends, as it provides a fun anecdote beyond "This whisky is from Taiwan. Also, Taiwanese whisky is really good."

Don't necessarily rely on my odd decision making process about buying whisky! I like getting bottles from around the world. Which is not to say it wasn't good. It was a very nice whisky. Just not sure it is $100 nice if it were a standard scotch brand. But I hope you enjoy it as well!

Ordered in 3 of the different Springbank 14's, olorosso, manzanilla, and amontillado. I'm looking forward to trying them when they arrive!

Happy August to me!

Had been looking for a few things to fill a box for an order and got inspired by some rum to fill the box. Whisky included an oddity from Austria finished in Austrian wine barrels from Hans Reisetbauer. Single malt aged for 7 years. A complete impulse buy so no idea what I am getting. The other two are Glendalough poitins. A bit of an oddity for poitin, these are made with malt and sugar beets and then "matured in virigin Irish oak" for a short but unspecified period of time. The clear one is "Mountain Strength" at 120 proof while the amber bottle is the basic poitin that is further aged in sherry casks. Hmm.

post-8493-14489821355125_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489821355125_thumb.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl2

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!