Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a Laphroaig 22 distilled in 1987. Also, an Ardbeg Bloodtub Valinch released by Murray McDavid. That one is going to be an interesting one.

Received this hoss today:

K1qcrn0.jpg?2

Bottle 10 of 362, Cask 3624 (Distilled 5/1983, bottled 8/2012). The reviews I have been able to find seem to lean toward it being 100% bourbon matured. Given the fairly dark color, I would have guessed it spent time in sherry, but I'm totally down with 100% bourbon. Given that they got 362 bottles out of the "single cask" at 29 years, I think we can assume there was a fair amount of re-racking done at some point. Regardless, it looks delicious. Too bad I'm saving this one for a rainy day . . . Might be a few years before I get a chance to open it.

Edit: In case anyone was wondering, the color of the bottle isn't being affected by the furniture it's sitting on.

Edited by garbanzobean

Picked up a Macallan CS a couple of nights ago, and a Signatory 1996 Mortlach 12 year last week. Really digging the Mortlach.

Alchemist Springbank 10 (distilled December 1995, bottled April 2006--Not sure what it's been doing for the past 8 years). This one is a batch that combined first fill port and bourbon casks. Which is to say that I don't think this one is going to stay closed for very long.

Given the fairly dark color, I would have guessed it spent time in sherry, but I'm totally down with 100% bourbon.

Mit Farbstoff?

Or maybe just a really active cask...

Mit Farbstoff?

Or maybe just a really active cask...

I don't think so, it's NCF/NC. I'm really not sure what the deal is, but I'm choosing to believe it's a good sign. I guess we'll find out when I get around to opening 'er up.

Purchased a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for $44.95 as a going away present for a coworker whose last day was today. Also, couldn't resist buying an old bottling of Black Bottle to use in my Mamie Taylors. I'm predicting great success.

My 3 springers arrived at my hotel today, now I have 8 bottles spread out over two bags to take back home. Can't wait to do some tasting!

My 3 springers arrived at my hotel today, now I have 8 bottles spread out over two bags to take back home. Can't wait to do some tasting!

Up in Calgary and decided to try some Canadian labels I hadn't seen before. So I picked up a Tangle Ridge and a CC Sherry Cask. The tasting will have to wait till I get back home to Atlanta.

Up in Calgary and decided to try some Canadian labels I hadn't seen before. So I picked up a Tangle Ridge and a CC Sherry Cask. The tasting will have to wait till I get back home to Atlanta.

Have you tried these yet? Tangle Ridge is definitely one of my favorite Candians.

Snagged a lone Glenmorangie Discovery Pack. It has a 750ml bottle of Glenmo 10yr and a 50ml bottle each of The Lasanta, The Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'Or all for the price of the 750ml. Pretty good deal to me!

Grabbed an AD Rattray Caperdonich and a Cheiftans Balmenach this weekend at one store and a Macallan CS at another. The Caperdonich and Macallan are both gifts for a friend, hope they enjoy them!

Ordered a Scott's Selection Sherry Wood Ardmore 1977/2003. Had a discount code so the total price was less than $150 + shipping.

I'm taking a bit of a gamble with this, but Serge seems to regard older Ardmores extremely highly, and has rated either this or its sister cask highly. I figure it's peated whisky from the late 1970s from a heavily blended distillery . . . Pretty good bet. The non-whiskyfun reviews I was able to find refer to it as "Caol Ila-like" in character, so I'm tentatively hopeful I didn't just waste my money.

Against my better judgment I bought a 2014 Ardbeg Supernova. Just taking my money at this point...
Edited by garbanzobean

Against my better judgment I bought a 2014 Ardbeg Supernova. Just taking my money at this point...

$169.99!! Assholes!!

9397032536ebf21476a0731165a92c3a.jpg

Heard its great though!

Me? I'll just buy two Uigeadails instead.

I think i'm with you on this one, I can actually get 3 Uigeadails for that price.

Heard its great though!

Around here the price of Uggie has gotten pretty stupid as well which is rather annoying. I would be lucky to get one and a half for that price.

$169.99!! Assholes!!
Heard its great though!

I think i'm with you on this one, I can actually get 3 Uigeadails for that price.

Sorry, it was actually $159.99. I'm not a fan of Oogie, especially for the $70+ it goes for around here, but even at $55 I have no use for it in my cabinet. Obviously I'll be disappointed if the SN doesn't far surpass it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!