Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Grabbed a Benriach Heart of Speyside, Glendronach 12, and a Highland Park Dark Origins. Some grumpy jagoff in Binny's caught me looking at some Kavalan and 10YO Willett in one of their glass cases and said "you're not gonna buy anything in there are you? What are you rich?" What an ass!

Grabbed a Benriach Heart of Speyside, Glendronach 12, and a Highland Park Dark Origins. Some grumpy jagoff in Binny's caught me looking at some Kavalan and 10YO Willett in one of their glass cases and said "you're not gonna buy anything in there are you? What are you rich?" What an ass!

Nice one Steve. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just curious, which Binny's?

Oh Binny's 10% off sale has made me a poor man. Funny how that works? Since it's the FWotM, I'll get the Benriach open this week so I can comment on it. The Clynelish was aged in a sherry cask, nice ruddy color to it. More expensive than it should be but I've missed out on sherried Clynelish in the past and at 19 years this would seem to be well-aged. I have to hand it to Blackadder for squeezing every penny they can out of their casks, but I can also say that everything I've had of theirs has been top notch.

8412627afbe17edb19668c69f30895c3.jpg

Edited by AaronWF

Nice one Steve. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just curious, which Binny's?

It was the Naperville store. I was so annoyed that I didn't get the story on the Willett. I've been staring down the Kavalan Solist Sherry for the last few visits (especially after Aaron's review), but even with the 10% off, it's still a bit out of my price range right now.

Nice grabs Aaron!

Beautiful whiskies Aaron. I too just made a purchase at Binny's, but before I did I was eyeing that Blackadder Clynelish you got there. Unfortunately, it was too much for my wallet so I went with the Clynelish Distiller's Edition. Also picked up a North British 16 year old Grain whisky. Can't wait to see what good Scottish grain whisky tastes like.

Got a Glen Grant 10yr today. Had a pour recently at a bar and quite like it. Definitely on the sweeter end of the scale. Great price too.

Oh Binny's 10% off sale has made me a poor man. Funny how that works? Since it's the FWotM, I'll get the Benriach open this week so I can comment on it. The Clynelish was aged in a sherry cask, nice ruddy color to it. More expensive than it should be but I've missed out on sherried Clynelish in the past and at 19 years this would seem to be well-aged. I have to hand it to Blackadder for squeezing every penny they can out of their casks, but I can also say that everything I've had of theirs has been top notch.

8412627afbe17edb19668c69f30895c3.jpg

So, that Clynelish is going to be open this weekend, right?

Ordered a Scott's Selection Sherry Wood Ardmore 1977/2003. Had a discount code so the total price was less than $150 + shipping.

I'm taking a bit of a gamble with this, but Serge seems to regard older Ardmores extremely highly, and has rated either this or its sister cask highly. I figure it's peated whisky from the late 1970s from a heavily blended distillery . . . Pretty good bet. The non-whiskyfun reviews I was able to find refer to it as "Caol Ila-like" in character, so I'm tentatively hopeful I didn't just waste my money.

Well, rats. The store contacted me to let me know they had "lost" the bottle in their recent move and had to cancel my order. Anyone want to bet they checked wine-searcher and discovered it was going for like $400 elsewhere? I'll check back on the site a few more times and see if it magically goes up in price (and comes back in stock).

In other annoying news, I never was contacted by that bottle shop to come pick up my Ardbeg Supernova. I know other stores have gotten it locally, so I may still buy a bottle. The hesitance here is that I know of a few mid-late teens Springbanks that are languishing, totally unloved. Specifically, 15, 16, and 17 yr old cask strength stuff. Sure, those aren't the same thing as teh super rare Ardbeg or old school Ardmore, but I am thinking they might be just the cure for what ails me . . .

Beautiful whiskies Aaron. I too just made a purchase at Binny's, but before I did I was eyeing that Blackadder Clynelish you got there. Unfortunately, it was too much for my wallet so I went with the Clynelish Distiller's Edition. Also picked up a North British 16 year old Grain whisky. Can't wait to see what good Scottish grain whisky tastes like.

That North British is very tasty stuff for the price; sweet and creamy. I'll look forward to your report! I hope the Clynelish DE goes over better for you than it did for me...

A Compass Box Delilah's bottle. Haven't hit on it yet, but am pretty sure that it will more than feed my Dark Side appetite, as the CB portfolio has done for me since my discovery of it.

A Compass Box Delilah's bottle. Haven't hit on it yet, but am pretty sure that it will more than feed my Dark Side appetite, as the CB portfolio has done for me since my discovery of it.
The abv is a bit low, but I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit. It's very much a bourbon/scotch/more-ish blend.

Picked up a few bottles of Kavalan Sherry Cask (57.8%) over the weekend. It's a bit pricey given the age, but very solid.

Found these on my current trip...

post-11008-14489821479751_thumb.jpg

Such a lovely color on the Oban...

post-11008-14489821480165_thumb.jpg

As you can see...already enjoying the Caol Ila. :70358-devil:

post-11008-14489821479751_thumb.jpg

post-11008-14489821480165_thumb.jpg

Bought a bottle of my favorite, Laphroaig 10.

Thought about trying the new Triple Wood but ultimately passed on it since I've never had it before and a bottle was about $70.

Clynelish 14 from my local shop. I had never tried it before and was reading a website that had it grouped with Springbank & HP (2 of my favs) as being similar tasting. Opened it last night and really liked it. Reminded me of Springbank for sure, more so than HP. The price was very reasonable. I think I'll have to pull the trigger on that Blackadder from Binny's that Aaron splurged on recently.

Passed on the Beam Quarter Cask. Not too fond of the previous signature releases or Beam in general but thought about it for a minute.

Passed on the Beam Quarter Cask. Not too fond of the previous signature releases or Beam in general but thought about it for a minute.

Sorry, not sure why this posted in here and it won't let me delete it. See what happens when I accidentally venture into the Dark Side

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!