Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think you're comparing apples to oranges a little bit. Grabbing an official distillery bottling from a series that is well regarded (minus the 10 year, which is a dog I guess) is not the same thing as trying to decide which maybe awesome, maybe mediocre Independent Bottling to purchase when given the choice of a completely unknown Douglas of Drumlanrig PE 27yr (ref cask 7000) or a K&L Caol Ila 31yr that has generally been very well regarded. Either way, I'm trying something new. I should probably also mention that where I live, I can literally drive about 25 minutes and order a glass of Port Ellen at a bar, so this isn't a bucket list issue for me. I will absolutely not regret passing on either bottle if I change my mind at any point. At any rate, the bottle was selling for $341.

Congrats r.mx on your bottle! I just picked up my order today of a single Port Ellen bottle. This will probably be the first and last bottle I ever get. The store had 3 other original Port Ellen bottled items, I think a 8,9 and 11 edition, each $1500. Needless to say I passed. I'm happy with this little guy.

[ATTACH]18810[/ATTACH]

Ah! You're the one that snagged that! Congrats! I take it you're either in the Bay or LA ;)

Yeah, those other original release bottling prices are nuts. I guess that's what happens when Diageo prices the current release at $3,000. And the other Signatory bottling is also a little pricey.

I have a sister to your bottle that I'm opening next week. Smokybeast just covered it too - it looks like a good pick. I'll post my review of it here when I open it.

I'm in the Bay Area and close to both shops. I would have liked to get an OB bottle, but it's not like I could appreciate a bottle of that cost. It looks like someone canceled their order of the Signatory 26 year since it's back on the site. After I read Smokybeasts, Josh Feldman's and LA Whiskey Society's review of the McGibbon's Provenance... along with a very average review of Signatory from LA Whiskey Society I would rather just save the $100 and go with the Provenance bottle. It was a bit tough, considering I like cask strength but I get a feeling I'll like the final selection. Looking forward to your review!

Found a spot while out last weekend that had some dusties. Tried to bargain, but will have to go back when the owner was there. Had an old Longmorn 15, some Johnnie Walker Green, Glenmorangie 12 Madeira, old Glenmo 18, and a few of these lovely HP 18's. Grabbed one to see if it was still good. Cracked it open last night, and it was amazing. Definitely going back for the rest of them.

post-8048-14489821142771_thumb.jpg

Congrats r.mx on your bottle! I just picked up my order today of a single Port Ellen bottle. This will probably be the first and last bottle I ever get. The store had 3 other original Port Ellen bottled items, I think a 8,9 and 11 edition, each $1500. Needless to say I passed. I'm happy with this little guy.

[ATTACH]18810[/ATTACH]

I bought a couple of those recently myself.

Bought a Laphroaig Cairdeas 2012 and a Yamazaki 12. Both at $45 each. :cool:

Tracked down and bought a 2nd Octomore 4.2 Comus today. Found that it's one of the last few bottled. Happy.

Tracked down and bought a 2nd Octomore 4.2 Comus today. Found that it's one of the last few bottled. Happy.
Excellent choice!

A few bottles today that have been on my must try list, but for whatever reason I avoided, so today I decided to buy them all, glenfarclas 105, monkey shoulder and a talisker storm. So far the storm tastes too young, the farclas too one dimensional (even with water) and the shoulder is suprisingly good, something of an aniseed and honey finish too it which I wasnt expecting, not a balanced pour but interesting.

Maybe its not a scotch night.

Edited by onemorepour

Corryvreckan at $50 (guy couldn't find a price on the bottle, was thrilled to score it)

Glenfiddich 15 (couldn't pass it up at $40)

Green Spot

A few bottles today that have been on my must try list, but for whatever reason I avoided, so today I decided to buy them all, glenfarclas 105, monkey shoulder and a talisker storm. So far the storm tastes too young, the farclas too one dimensional (even with water) and the shoulder is suprisingly good, something of an aniseed and honey finish too it which I wasnt expecting, not a balanced pour but interesting.

Maybe its not a scotch night.

I had Monkey Shoulder with a gourmet doughnut at a place near me that serves whiskey and desserts (odd, yes). Very nice pairing! The anise that you mentioned, along with a bit of fusel spice that I got, really went well with all the sweetness.

Wow that place sounds amazing, like Willy Wonka for adults.

I can see the monkey shoulder working with dessert, not that I would of thought of it myself, but yeh its a soft and sweet pour and I get that spice, has a bit of baked pear and cinnamon spice to me, with triple sec citrus thrown in, maybe would work with a custard or cream filled donut?

On the topic of whisky and food, I was drinking yamazaki 12 the other day and it was savoury in a way I hadnt noticed before, I kept thinking roast lamb and rosemary. And last night I tried the talisker storm with fresh shucked oyster which was nice.

Bought a bottle of Kavalan King Car Concertmaster. This will be my first bottle of Kavalan, and I was forced to choose between this and the Port finished Concertmaster. The interwebz lead me to believe that I made a wise choice, but time and my palate will tell . . .

Found a 2012 Lagavulin 12 yr CS today. $82 OTD. Pretty stoked about that. :cool:

As you should be! Nice find and nice price although I am no longer surprised by prices from up there in the land of lakes. Rarely see the 2013 edition here and haven't seen the 2012 since I started looking last year.

As you should be! Nice find and nice price although I am no longer surprised by prices from up there in the land of lakes. Rarely see the 2013 edition here and haven't seen the 2012 since I started looking last year.

Lonely shelf full of 2013's are calling me too for a few bucks more. But yea, they're few and far in between for sure.

Noticed my Clynelish 14 getting low so picked up another at a small shop at a great price - $45.99. My local Binny's is out and a web search revealed that most Binny's locations are out or low stock. Hope that's not a bad sign...

Also picked up a Yamazaki 12 at the same shop for $42.99. Been wanting to try that one and couldn't resist at that price.

Not much of a scotch drinker but I had a pour of laphroaig quarter cask last week, and it really stuck with me. Picked up a bottle today.

Not much of a scotch drinker but I had a pour of laphroaig quarter cask last week, and it really stuck with me. Picked up a bottle today.

Welcome down the dark path. Sláinte!

Well, I finally took the plunge on my "expensive" celebratory whisky purchase of the year. Got a bottle of the 2013 Brora 35. Ultimately, the price/quality got me ($499). I may still get a Caol Ila 30 from K&L, and intend to purchase a Nikka Taketsuru 17 at some point, but that's going to be about it as far as my scotch/whisky expenditures go for the rest of the year.

Now for the fun part: announcing why I purchased the Brora. My wife and I are expecting our first child around the holidays!

Well, I finally took the plunge on my "expensive" celebratory whisky purchase of the year. Got a bottle of the 2013 Brora 35. Ultimately, the price/quality got me ($499). I may still get a Caol Ila 30 from K&L, and intend to purchase a Nikka Taketsuru 17 at some point, but that's going to be about it as far as my scotch/whisky expenditures go for the rest of the year.

Now for the fun part: announcing why I purchased the Brora. My wife and I are expecting our first child around the holidays!

Congrats Eric! Get ready for the ride of your life. My wife and I are having our fourth and final in October. We couldn't be busier or happier.

-Steve

Saw Green Spot on the shelf for the first time in my area yesterday. Picked up a bottle despite the low proof and price. Heck, it was my birthday!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!