Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Damn. I'd say happy birthday, but it looks like you already had one.

Birthday gift from my wife today.

u7u6y2u7.jpg

Inspired by the Bruichladdich thread, I picked up a Laddie 10 for $44.99 today.

Leaving the country friday, Couldn't pass this at 39,99$!

y6e4yzej.jpg

I would have bought that too.

Is the quinta ruban good? It is a bit of a gamble for me, never tasted a glenmorangie before but i love sherried whiskies, cant wait to crack this one open!

I enjoy the Quinta Ruban but it is not a ground breaker. Then again the basic Glenmorangie line seems aimed at pleasing the majority rather than being a trend setter (Which makes the Nectar d'Or that much more interesting by breaking out of the mold a bit!). Just be aware that QR is Port finished, not Sherry.

Birthday gift from my wife today.

u7u6y2u7.jpg

Holy crap! Nice gift!! I've been wanting one of those for a while now.

I enjoy the Quinta Ruban but it is not a ground breaker. Then again the basic Glenmorangie line seems aimed at pleasing the majority rather than being a trend setter (Which makes the Nectar d'Or that much more interesting by breaking out of the mold a bit!). Just be aware that QR is Port finished, not Sherry.

Then this Will be even more interesting! I Will compare to the mac 12 i've got open at the moment!

Not in my hands yet, but a few of the K&L new releases are in transit. Benrinnes 17 CS, Glen Elgin 18, Bruichladdich 21/22, Balmenach 25. Also added another Miltonduff 30 and a Craggy 23 and Arran 17 CS. It should be a good weekend... :D

Not in my hands yet, but a few of the K&L new releases are in transit. Benrinnes 17 CS, Glen Elgin 18, Bruichladdich 21/22, Balmenach 25. Also added another Miltonduff 30 and a Craggy 23 and Arran 17 CS. It should be a good weekend... :D
I broke down and ordered a K&L Caol Ila 1983. I have a friend picking it up for (legal) transport back to the east coast. Looks like you are going to have way more fun than me, though . . .

I broke down and ordered a K&L Caol Ila 1983. I have a friend picking it up for (legal) transport back to the east coast. Looks like you are going to have way more fun than me, though . . .

I'll probably only open the Benrinnes right away. If it blows me away, I may have to grab another. The rest can wait...well, maybe not the Arran either. :D

Good man. Looking forward to your notes on this.

Just bought the Tweeddale Batch #3 Blended Scotch Whisky. I believe it is 50% 14 years old - 21 years old (12 year age stated) blended malt and 50% 18 yr old single grain. Natural colored and non-chill filtered at 46%. This will be my first high quality blend. I really appreciate blenders taking the time to note the quality of their grain whiskey. It seems like such an important component of most blends that is just waived away these days simply as 'filler.' I might even open this one up once it comes in the mail.

Picked up my order of 1995, 18 year Glen Elgin from K&L.

post-11296-14489821229399_thumb.jpg

I'll probably only open the Benrinnes right away. If it blows me away, I may have to grab another. The rest can wait...well, maybe not the Arran either. :D

Would love to hear your notes about Benrinnes. I'm tempted but with more whiskeys to buy in the coming months I have to be a bit more particular.

Out on a raid but not really looking to buy. Saw the new Balvenie 15yo single cask sherry and after a lengthy internal debate I finally broke down and bought one. Proof is 95.6 which was a little disappointing but it still seemed to have a lot of color and maturation for 15 years in sherry barrel caught me fancy. Just one can't hurt, right???

post-8493-14489821232396_thumb.jpg

I'd be curious about your thoughts on the current K&L single barrels. I'll be down in California near several K&L's a bunch in the next few months and I'll have the opportunity to pick up a few. I already ordered the Craggy 23, Arran 17, Glenlivet 16, and a Bladnoch 11. I want to get the Livet '81 and the Laddie 21 but otherwise I'm not sure. There are so many good choices to be had at the Redwood store (where I will be) and I don't even know where to start.

Suggestions?

He seems to really like that Benrinnes

Never tried that distillery. Wonder if it's worth taking the plunge...

Thanks to a tip from a thoughtful fellow GBS/SBer I was able to pick up a bottle of the Arran Devil's Punchbowl Chapter I from 2012. Already have the DPBII from last year and was able to do a side by side with the DPBI at the recent GBS dark side gathering in May. The DPBII was good but the DPBI was better so I am happy to be able to pick it up at more or less MSRP well after it's original release.

post-8493-1448982126766_thumb.jpg

Chapter III is rumored to be due out soon. Not sure if I will be pursuing that one without at least trying it first.

Oh, who am I kidding? Of course I will!

Chapter III is reported to be different with no peat barrels but instead the addition of some wine barrel finished whisky in the blend.

post-8493-14489821235116_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489821235357_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489821235116_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489821235357_thumb.jpg

post-8493-1448982126766_thumb.jpg

Not to put words in his mouth...

It really reminds me of a CS Clynelish with just a bit more heather/must & slightly more honey. This is a good one to ponder.

I had a Signatory 11yo from Binny's that was was much better than I expected. Great, fresh Speyside fruit forward with a solid, mostly mild malt background. Full of character. Driscoll says he's never had a bad Benrinnes, but we all know he's a shill ;)

The Quinta Ruban is excellent if your tastes (like mine) run towards sherry. It has always been a big hit with my friends as well. Enjoy!

The Quinta Ruban is excellent if your tastes (like mine) run towards sherry. It has always been a big hit with my friends as well. Enjoy!

The Lasanta is the sherry finished Glenmorangie version. Quinta Ruban is finished in ruby port casks. I find it really changes with time open. A newly opened bottle I had showed a very clear red winey note but with the bottle open a month, the red wine faded to a chocolatey richness. I liked the later experience better but YMMV.

Yes. My mistake. I had them backwards but I love both the QR and the Lasanta.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!