Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay 2013. Last bottle on the shelf - hopefully the 2014 will fill the void soon.

I will be seeking this out, as it was quite possibly my favorite pour last evening at the GBS Scotch Dive. Tons of fully pedigreed top-notch scotches on the table, but this one hit me well. Plus, it was fun to hear a dozen goofballs butcher the name up... :lol:

My first purchase in a while and likely my last for a while more. Funds are tight these days but I was excited to see these bottles, though I have to decide if CW actually gets that second Mortlach or not ;). j/k CW

post-9128-14489820875246_thumb.jpg

Just arrived this week thanks to the help of a fellow SBer. A new addition to my little Irish Whiskey family.

post-8493-1448982087569_thumb.jpg

Had not seen this one before and information seems to be limited. Appears to be a 19 year old or so single malt from 1991 that possibly was aged the entire time in a rum cask. A single cask offering but unfortunately not cask strength in this case. Apparently some of these barrels were at cask strength but this one is a modest 43% which is the only shortcoming I see. At least until I open it! Not entirely sure what to expect. The few reviews I can find mention a chocolate finish.

post-8493-1448982087592_thumb.jpg

Oooh, rum aged/finished Bushmills, very cool. I'm a huge fan of rum barrel aged whiskeys, please be sure to post some tasting notes from this. Isn't the Bushmills 21 year fum finished? I have a 10 and a 16 but no 21 and have never tasted it.

Just arrived this week thanks to the help of a fellow SBer. A new addition to my little Irish Whiskey family.

Had not seen this one before and information seems to be limited. Appears to be a 19 year old or so single malt from 1991 that possibly was aged the entire time in a rum cask. A single cask offering but unfortunately not cask strength in this case. Apparently some of these barrels were at cask strength but this one is a modest 43% which is the only shortcoming I see. At least until I open it! Not entirely sure what to expect. The few reviews I can find mention a chocolate finish.

Oooh, rum aged/finished Bushmills, very cool. I'm a huge fan of rum barrel aged whiskeys, please be sure to post some tasting notes from this. Isn't the Bushmills 21 year fum finished? I have a 10 and a 16 but no 21 and have never tasted it.

The Bushmills 21 is a "triple wood" aged in bourbon and sherry that is then married in "Madiera infused" casks for the final two years.

I would love to know if this really is a single cask of whiskey that was aged in a rum barrel its entire life or if it is regular whiskey that is then put into a rum cask for finishing and given the name "single cask" just because several barrels of whiskey were used to fill up the rum barrel and then called single cask because they barreled the rum casks individually. I suppose I need to see if Bushmills will spill the beans although I am not hopeful they will.

The Bushmills 21 is a "triple wood" aged in bourbon and sherry that is then married in "Madiera infused" casks for the final two years.

I would love to know if this really is a single cask of whiskey that was aged in a rum barrel its entire life or if it is regular whiskey that is then put into a rum cask for finishing and given the name "single cask" just because several barrels of whiskey were used to fill up the rum barrel and then called single cask because they barreled the rum casks individually. I suppose I need to see if Bushmills will spill the beans although I am not hopeful they will.

Wow, I was way off then. Is the 16 year rum finished? I swear I read that one of their single malts mentioned rum but I could easily be mistaken.

I agree, I wish there was complete transparency with all bottles of whiskey. I like to "geek out" and know where it was aged, what barrels were used for what time period, what the mashbill/blend was (if not single malt) and all the rest of it's history.

To my knowledge no Bushmills regular bottling is rum cask finished which is one of the things that made this one interesting. The 16 is similar to the 21 except they are married together in a port infused cask. The 10yo single malt is mostly bourbon casks and doesn't have any finishing.

They have done some rum cask finished single malt limited editions over the years but this is the first one I have gotten my hands on.

Wow, I was way off then. Is the 16 year rum finished? I swear I read that one of their single malts mentioned rum but I could easily be mistaken.

I agree, I wish there was complete transparency with all bottles of whiskey. I like to "geek out" and know where it was aged, what barrels were used for what time period, what the mashbill/blend was (if not single malt) and all the rest of it's history.

Seems to be a rum finished Irish Whiskey kind of week. Teeling (who owned Cooley before Beam bought it) released their first whiskey available in the US last month but I didn't have access to it. Until now!

post-8493-14489820876547_thumb.jpg

Found it on the shelf in Atlanta today. That must be some kind of record getting a new product in Georgia which always seems to be notably slow.

A blended NAS whiskey sourced from Cooley with a reported high level of malt in the blend that is finished for 6 months in Flor de Cana rum casks. This one is at 92 proof which is a little better. Hope to try it soon! Haven't tried it but am told it adds a bit of sweetness but not a strong rum component.

post-8493-14489820876309_thumb.jpg

Seems to be a rum finished Irish Whiskey kind of week. Teeling (who owned Cooley before Beam bought it) released their first whiskey available in the US last month but I didn't have access to it. Until now!

Found it on the shelf in Atlanta today. That must be some kind of record getting a new product in Georgia which always seems to be notably slow.

A blended NAS whiskey sourced from Cooley with a reported high level of malt in the blend that is finished for 6 months in Flor de Cana rum casks. This one is at 92 proof which is a little better. Hope to try it soon! Haven't tried it but am told it adds a bit of sweetness but not a strong rum component.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18406[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18407[/ATTACH]

Compass Box Peat Monster 10th Anniversary to go with the cigars I bought for tonight.

Joining David on the Compass Box theme, by picking up an Asyla to go along with an additional ETL Commemorative.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18406[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18407[/ATTACH]

Let me know about that one. I may grab one too.

A little taste of new Teeling. A light golden yellow color which you can fully appreciate until open thanks to the dark glass bottle. A bit spicier than I expected for a 92 proof blended whiskey. Didn't really appreciate any specific rum influence other than a bit of sweetness in the mid palate of all places. A lighter style to be sure. Didn't try any water with it and it may need a little time to sit after opening as there seemed to be a bit of pressure on the cork when I opened it.

post-8493-14489820885093_thumb.jpg

Went out poking around in a couple of stores (one was closed which I did not expect but certainly can respect. It was a smaller place although they occasionally do a nice barrel pick or two). Turned into more of a scotch run as I did not see much interesting on the bourbon side.

I did however pick up a couple of unexpected Compass Box bottles.

First was a 2010 Third Edition Flaming Heart 10th Anniversary which I think I got for a pretty decent price. It was the price of the current 2012 release plus a case discount making it about $82 before taxes.

The second was a special 10th Anniversary of the Double Single blended whisky originally done as a one off for a particular hotel in Scotland. This one was a limited edition of an 18 year old Glen Elgin single malt (76%) married with a 24 year old Port Dundas single grain whisky (24%) with only 876 bottles available. Not quite the hot deal the Flaming Heart was but still about retail. Plus I get two more swanky acrylic boxes! Who wouldn't like that?

post-8493-14489820919349_thumb.jpg

And speaking of Glenmorangie (We were speaking of Glenmorangie, correct???) I also saw a bottle of Astar and Finealta at a decent price that was probably unchanged from when they first came out. Threw in a Balvenie 15 while I was there just for the heck of it since it is allegedly going away. Needed that case discount!

post-8493-14489820918656_thumb.jpg

But I couldn't let scotch dominate so I found some hot deals on rum and picked up a couple of those as well which I will post in the appropriate thread.

post-8493-14489820918889_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820919114_thumb.jpg

Went out poking around in a couple of stores (one was closed which I did not expect but certainly can respect. It was a smaller place although they occasionally do a nice barrel pick or two). Turned into more of a scotch run as I did not see much interesting on the bourbon side.

I did however pick up a couple of unexpected Compass Box bottles.

First was a 2010 Third Edition Flaming Heart 10th Anniversary which I think I got for a pretty decent price. It was the price of the current 2012 release plus a case discount making it about $82 before taxes.

The second was a special 10th Anniversary of the Double Single blended whisky originally done as a one off for a particular hotel in Scotland. This one was a limited edition of an 18 year old Glen Elgin single malt (76%) married with a 24 year old Port Dundas single grain whisky (24%) with only 876 bottles available. Not quite the hot deal the Flaming Heart was but still about retail. Plus I get two more swanky acrylic boxes! Who wouldn't like that?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18459[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18460[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18461[/ATTACH]

And speaking of Glenmorangie (We were speaking of Glenmorangie, correct???) I also saw a bottle of Astar and Finealta at a decent price that was probably unchanged from when they first came out. Threw in a Balvenie 15 while I was there just for the heck of it since it is allegedly going away. Needed that case discount!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18458[/ATTACH]

But I couldn't let scotch dominate so I found some hot deals on rum and picked up a couple of those as well which I will post in the appropriate thread.

May I ask what you paid for the Glenmorangie's? I saw these recently at $85 each and was hesitant to pull the trigger.

May I ask what you paid for the Glenmorangie's? I saw these recently at $85 each and was hesitant to pull the trigger.

$85 is a solid price on those bottles. Both are discontinued, so you won't likely see them any cheaper. Astar is my preferred of the two.

$85 is a solid price on those bottles. Both are discontinued, so you won't likely see them any cheaper. Astar is my preferred of the two.

Oh man, $85 is great for Astar, one of my true regret bottles for not buying a few when they were available. Finealta is a decent dram, and that price is the lowest I've ever heard of for it, but that Astar really has me jealous.

I don't know anything about the compass box bottles but given the few I've tried from them I'm betting those are outstanding whiskys.

Nice job!

Picked up one of these the other day, as did a few friends.

My, my! That must have taken a couple of farthings to coax it home.

My, my! That must have taken a couple of farthings to coax it home.

Luckily found on a shelf at original MSRP, along with quite a few others. A very nice friend picked them all up and made sure they found their way to folks who would drink them.

Good point. What ever the cost it is nice to see them go to a good home where they get used as intended!

Been kind of an odd week for me with Compass Box. Earlier I found a Flaming heart 2010 and a Double Single limited edition at decent prices and today I noticed for the first time a CB Eleuthera at another store that I have probably walked by two dozen times without noticing. It was discontinued in 2005 and the bottle has been sitting there ever since. Only concern is how it might have been affected by nearly 10 years on the shelf but most dusty's seem to survive and this was in good shape at a reliable store with a good fill so I took a chance.

Reportedly 15yo Clynelish and 12yo Caol Ila from a long time ago and under $50 bucks. Seemed like a good deal.

All the recent talk about Glenmo led me to pick up an 18yo to keep the CB company. Have never had it before so decided to give it a go as well!

And it will hopefully help keep me in good stead at the store with the FRSBLE is on the horizon...

post-8493-14489820924099_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820923645_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820923872_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!