What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I agree! That stuff is irresistible. Have you had the Great King Street New York Blend? Not as dynamic at the FH, but a real comfort pour: round and fatty, clean and dirty at the same time.

I did have a pour of the GKS NYB at John Glaser 's initiation. ;) Unfortunately, it was towards the end, so I don't remember much of it! :lol: Hopefully, one of my brothers will bring it on the 17th, so I can get a redo. :D

John Glaser is a master for sure. Have you had the Last Vatted Malt Joe? It's EPIC! Tom picked up a couple and is always kind enough to share some with me. He has to watch me though because I tend to get carried away with my pours on that one. :D Man it's so good!

Haven't had that one, Josh. But, I know what to ask Tom for next time I see him at the Gazebo! Or, I may blow off the GBS Scotch Night, and head to Indy for Tom's BBB!!! :lol:

I did have a pour of the GKS NYB at John Glaser 's initiation. ;) Unfortunately, it was towards the end, so I don't remember much of it! :lol: Hopefully, one of my brothers will bring it on the 17th, so I can get a redo. :D

I would bring the NY Blend but finished mine. I agree with Aaron though, a really round and chewy whisky with light to medium peat. Not the same fire (heh) as the Flaming Heart but really good. I wish I had bought more.

I would bring the NY Blend but finished mine. I agree with Aaron though, a really round and chewy whisky with light to medium peat. Not the same fire (heh) as the Flaming Heart but really good. I wish I had bought more.

I've been enjoying the Compass Box Hedonism. Very good for a grain scotch. Nice and delicate; great dessert scotch.

I had some 1401/6 and a 22 year old Mortlach last night.

The Batch 6 doesn't get much attention, as it's often brought up in the context of not being as good as the 3, but I enjoy the hell out of it every time I pour a glass.

That 6 is a dandy of a pour & should be considered on its own merits.

I had some 1401/6 and a 22 year old Mortlach last night.

The Batch 6 doesn't get much attention, as it's often brought up in the context of not being as good as the 3, but I enjoy the hell out of it every time I pour a glass.

I think the reason is that it is very different than the 3 and just doesn't quite measure up. The fact is, not many other scotches measure up, but very few share the same name. I really enjoy all of the American TUNs. Granted I like the larger sherry influence of the 3 and 9 more, but that doesn't mean the 6 isn't really good as well.

Chatted up with some buddies last night with a solid pour of Compass Box Peat Monster, accompanied with a bag of Brownie Brittle. Great pairing! As the brownie brittle is basically a bag of burnt corners of the brownie pan pieces, and it's slightly sweet and dark chocolate character paired so well with the smoky and peaty CB, I'm already drooling over my next vatting: Peat Monster and OGD 114. :yum: if it's as good as I think it will be, I'll send the recipe to JG for his future consideration! :lol:

Chatted up with some buddies last night with a solid pour of Compass Box Peat Monster, accompanied with a bag of Brownie Brittle. Great pairing! As the brownie brittle is basically a bag of burnt corners of the brownie pan pieces, and it's slightly sweet and dark chocolate character paired so well with the smoky and peaty CB, I'm already drooling over my next vatting: Peat Monster and OGD 114. :yum: if it's as good as I think it will be, I'll send the recipe to JG for his future consideration! :lol:

At WF, I had some Bowmore Darkest Sherry with some dark chocolate. I had no idea that the two would pair so well. Might start trying different combos. I'm crushing a bottle of Laphroaig 25 right now which is salty and super fudgey - I imagine it'd go great with dark chocolate.

At WF, I had some Bowmore Darkest Sherry with some dark chocolate. I had no idea that the two would pair so well. Might start trying different combos. I'm crushing a bottle of Laphroaig 25 right now which is salty and super fudgey - I imagine it'd go great with dark chocolate.

Me, too. I had no idea it would be so good together, either. The brownie brittle just happened to be there...The Laphroaig and dark chocolate sounds great. Really looking forward to the OGD114 and CBPM vatting tonight.

Me, too. I had no idea it would be so good together, either. The brownie brittle just happened to be there...The Laphroaig and dark chocolate sounds great. Really looking forward to the OGD114 and CBPM vatting tonight.

Sounds worthy of Mad-Vatter status! I'm looking forward to reading about your experiment.

After a couple of weeks without "proper" whisky, I drained a sample bottle of K&L Karuizawa 1999 - lovely stuff for me (I do love a good bottle rocket fight - i.e. I'm not sensitive to sulphur) that precipitated a hunt for K&L Karuizawa bottles.

My own vatting of the various odds and ends of bottles over the last couple of years. I'd say it is primarily a blend of approximately equal parts of Abelour A'bunadh, Longrow CV, Chivas 12, Dewar's 12 and Great King Street, with dashes of JW Green and Gold, Cragganmore 12, Glenmorangie 18, and Ancnoc 16. I've dumped in the last pours of a Knapoggue Castle 1993, a nip of Redbreast 12 CS, a little Jameson's Black, Jameson's 12 and Gold Reserve, and Black Bush. There's a couple more in there but I've lost track at this point.

I'd give you tasting notes but they would be pretty pointless. I call it ... whisky. And it is good. :)

My own vatting of the various odds and ends of bottles over the last couple of years. I'd say it is primarily a blend of approximately equal parts of Abelour A'bunadh, Longrow CV, Chivas 12, Dewar's 12 and Great King Street, with dashes of JW Green and Gold, Cragganmore 12, Glenmorangie 18, and Ancnoc 16. I've dumped in the last pours of a Knapoggue Castle 1993, a nip of Redbreast 12 CS, a little Jameson's Black, Jameson's 12 and Gold Reserve, and Black Bush. There's a couple more in there but I've lost track at this point.

I'd give you tasting notes but they would be pretty pointless. I call it ... whisky. And it is good. :)

Sutton Solera - never the same pour... ;)

Enjoyed a two finger pour of RB 12 tonight. A nicely balanced pour of subtle flavors it was!

Enjoyed a two finger pour of RB 12 tonight. A nicely balanced pour of subtle flavors it was!

Needs more fingers...

K&L Faultline Longmorn 21yr from sample bottle - yeah, this is a good one (refill sherry butt) & I might have to add this to the purchase list.

And following that last one up with a pour of Compass Box the General - yeah life is good...

Needs more fingers...

You are correct Max! Next time I'll lay off the Mellow Corn and have a more appropriate portion.

Cracked open my CB The General and enjoyed it immensely. Monster nose.

I think I'll make RB 12 my Game of Thrones pour tonight. Figured it would be in the spirit of the show, as most characters I get attached to end up with a red breast (with a sword sticking out of it) in no time at all! :duel:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!