What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2014

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Glad I'm not the only one thats not a fan of Knob Creek SB. Still yet to try the regular version. So many bourbons, so little time.

I'm enjoying another few fingers of Makers 46. Kinda ashamed I like it as much as I do but I think its pretty nice compared to std Makers.

Finished off another WT 12 tonight. Got two left from memory.

Just cracked a bottle of RR 101 ten years.

i've held onto two bottles of this for a few years. Never tried it. Blows the 12 year old away - sensational bourbon it is lads.

Gave my last bottle away a few years ago. Found a stash of them for $100 each at the start of last year, but didn't get any. I think they're all gone now.

Gave my last bottle away a few years ago. Found a stash of them for $100 each at the start of last year, but didn't get any. I think they're all gone now.

This was a Vintage Cellars from memory. Same thing happened. I wasn't looking to buy when I was there, went back a month or two later and they'd sold all 24 of them.

Went to WhiskyLive yesterday.

Not a bad afternoon truth be told. Pretty much tried every bourbon they had there and Christine worked her way through most the scotch she wanted to try.

I now know that I dont like Hudson Baby Bourbon or James E Pepper and that Willet Pot Still Reserve was decent, but I am not sure I would pay the money for it. Was also speaking to the sales rep for Southtrade and he pretty much confirmed that Eagle Rare will be loosing its age statement and that they have no real plans to bring in anymore BT than what they already have out on the market.

One of the highlights was trying the Willett Estate 25yr old Rye they had at the bar. That was pretty amazing.

Not a bad afternoon truth be told. Pretty much tried every bourbon they had there and Christine worked her way through most the scotch she wanted to try.

I now know that I dont like Hudson Baby Bourbon or James E Pepper and that Willet Pot Still Reserve was decent, but I am not sure I would pay the money for it. Was also speaking to the sales rep for Southtrade and he pretty much confirmed that Eagle Rare will be loosing its age statement and that they have no real plans to bring in anymore BT than what they already have out on the market.

One of the highlights was trying the Willett Estate 25yr old Rye they had at the bar. That was pretty amazing.

Wish I had gone now. Did you try Blanton's Gold that is high on my list to try. I think even although Blanton's is mad by Buffalo Trace, that Woolworths have the distribution rights in Australia rather than Southtrade. Here hoping they keep it or Blanton's will go the way of Evan Williams when Coles lost the rights and increase greatly in price (more than double in price for Evan Williams Single Barrel) . Harlen told me at that talk we went to, that we pay about the same as the USA for Blanton' yellow label, which considering how much we get ripped off on other stuff is amazing.

I went to Whiskey Live last year just to try Blantons Gold..... only to be told it wasn't available to taste :hot: I was pretty ticked off as most every other bourbon on offer was stuff I have bottles of at home already. I still had a great night, caught up with some great people and tried some good whiskey, but I was underwhelmed by the overall bourbon selection.

Another example of why I almost never believe anything I hear from store employees or distributors. I'm sure he was just passing on what he had heard from someone else, but that's not true. Eagle Rare is not losing it's age statement. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?22333-An-Open-Letter-to-Sazerac&p=421641&viewfull=1#post421641

Tasted several things yesterday while catching up with Scott (Hightower) for his daughters 6th birthday.

Started with some High West Rendezvous Rye (reminds me a lot of Willett 4yo Rye – need to do a side by side on this), then tried some Crown Royal Maple Finish (maple syrup with a kick – would work great on ice cream).

In no particular order over about 5 hours, we then worked our way through some Jim Beam Signature Series (12yo), BT White Dog (I poured a shot for someone who didn’t want it, so I couldn’t waste it :)), Jim Beam Distillers Masterpiece (the latest Sherry Cask finished one), ORVW 10/107 and finally some Woodford Four Wood.

Finally for fun, we finished off the afternoon trying to imitate Ale 8-1 by mixing Mountain Dew and drinking Dry Ginger. I think we got close, but without an original to compare to, we were guessing from memory (mine 2 months old, Scott’s 2 years old).

A great afternoon spent with great people celebrating a gorgeous girls birthday. Makes me wonder what we'll get to next time we catch up for an actual tasting though :skep::bigeyes:

Edited by camduncan

Wish I had gone now. Did you try Blanton's Gold that is high on my list to try. I think even although Blanton's is mad by Buffalo Trace, that Woolworths have the distribution rights in Australia rather than Southtrade. Here hoping they keep it or Blanton's will go the way of Evan Williams when Coles lost the rights and increase greatly in price (more than double in price for Evan Williams Single Barrel) . Harlen told me at that talk we went to, that we pay about the same as the USA for Blanton' yellow label, which considering how much we get ripped off on other stuff is amazing.

Interesting post.

I did miss that post Joe. It doesn't surprise me in the least and if only I read that post before I went, could have smacked him with some truth!

I did try all the Blanton' that they had there and maybe it cause my palate was getting a little boozed out, but I really preferred the Private Reserve to the Gold. It was a lot smoother and coated the mouth in a nicer way, where I felt the Gold had bit more of a burn and let a slightly bitterness on the tongue.

Opened up a bottle of KCSB I've had sitting in the cupboard for a while. Never had KCSB before but it definitely reminds me of a bottle of Booker's I polished off earlier in the year, albeit more restrained and refined.

Almost no alcoholic sting on the nose despite the high strength. In comparison to the Bookers, I find a little less of the char and burnt sugar ... perhaps this is why the spicy, herbal side (almost rye-like) seems more apparent. Also, there was a scent and flavor lurking around in the Bookers that I could never pin down, but I think I've finally figured it out. It's Maraschino (as in Maraschino liqueur). It's not exactly the same, but I popped the stopper off my bottle of Maraska Maraschino to investigate and I'm satisfied I'm not imagining things. The finish is drying, which some people will not like but it suits me just fine. On the negative side, it definitely doesn't have viscosity that I remember with the Bookers, and considering the proof it seems a bit too thin (gasp). Still, I think it’s pretty good, but the price – being $15 or so more than Bookers – seems off-kilter.

Edited by holdtheice

Guys,

Aldi is selling KC for 79.99 and Jim Beam Signature Craft for 64.99

Also drinking some EWSB2003. Really really liking this atm.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in to First Choice, hadn't been for a while, they had Bulliet Rye for $49.50, I picked up a bottle, it is as good as I remembered it to be.

Rounding out the end to a nice weekend. I don't buy into all the hype but its a darn nice pour.

post-10510-14489821128477_thumb.jpg

Not quite 'what I'm drinking', but a couple of pics of the stuff I bought back from KY....post-563-14489821145226_thumb.jpg

post-563-14489821144697_thumb.jpg

Is the Willett thing a glorifier? Cause that looks nice. I am a real sucker for bourbon advertising stuff. That and glasswear. But dont ask me why.

Did a little tidying up and organising on the weekend. Not super happy but it will do for now. Pretty much everything you see was found in opshops or fleamarkets. Except the buffalo trace glorifier and err the booze of course.

4yvuhyqe.jpgamynyruz.jpgvurupatu.jpg

A great collection there Stephen!

Being child free for a night last night, I poured the wife a wine, then kicked off with a pour of Old Fitz 1849, followed with some Four Roses Small Batch during dinner, and finished with a nice pour of BT Cream Liquor.

Hi all just after a address or name of a good bottle shop in Melbourne cbd as I have been working here for the past month and myWife and daughter are coming down next week end. Thanks all

http://www.thewigscellar.com.au/old/

Open weird times so check before you go.

They used to have a heap of BT 90 proof half bottles but someone cleaned them out, I only got to buy one for myself.

Otherwise head out to ackland cellars in st kilda, its a nice trip to take the family down the strip for the famous cake shops and a walk along the esplenade. The cellars have a few oddities from time to time including OGD and FR yellow.

Hi all just after a address or name of a good bottle shop in Melbourne cbd as I have been working here for the past month and myWife and daughter are coming down next week end. Thanks all

Probably worth the twenty minute trip to Nicks? Straight down the eastern freeway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.