What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2014

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is it premixed or do you mix your own bourbon/ rye? I admit ive never had an old fashioned yet!

It's already got Rye in it, so you just need to put it on the rocks. I haven't tried it yet, but I don't imagine it'd stand up to a true bar made Old Fashioned.

It's already got Rye in it, so you just need to put it on the rocks. I haven't tried it yet, but I don't imagine it'd stand up to a true bar made Old Fashioned.

9:10 am on my 32nd birthday!

Already thinking about going home and draining the last quarter of my last bottle of PVW20 - bring on home time!

Happy birthday mate!

Picked up another baby saz yesterday, might have to make this one last at $95 a bottle!

9:10 am on my 32nd birthday!

Already thinking about going home and draining the last quarter of my last bottle of PVW20 - bring on home time!

Happy Birthday mate! I'm 32 as well on Friday!

PVW20! Crikey! I've got one bottle of Lot B left. Deciding between that or cracking a G.T Stagg, Weller BTAC or one of the 4 Roses Store Bottlings I've been saving.

Depends on the bar! It's a good deal better than some bars I have been in and a lot cheaper as well.

Plus you can have it whenever you want without leaving the comforts of home!

Agree with your post.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys.

Hard choices there dux. Good problem to have.

$95 for baby saz is harsh! Now that Ritt is widely available I wouldnt even consider it at that price, last I bought was $80 from memory and that was pushing it.

Well I wasnt a complet glut with the PVW tonight, saved 100ml in a sample bottle for a later date, who knows when I will get another taste. Had some martell cordon bleu instead.

$95 for baby saz is harsh! Now that Ritt is widely available I wouldnt even consider it at that price, last I bought was $80 from memory and that was pushing it.

Omp im hearing what you say!

Ive had a bottle of Ritt for about 4 months ( not my first) and thought initially that it was a good solid whiskey. When I tried the Baby Saz I thought it was outstanding and stuck with it. Tried the Ritt again today and was surprised.! Its better than good and probably better value that saz, might have to have both in stock.

Let this be a lesson to all, revisit your whiskey regularly, as you might just be surprised!

Leaning all the time!

[quote name=bjbronwyn;434451

Let this be a lesson to all' date=' revisit your whiskey regularly, as you might just be surprised!

Leaning all the time!

Found that with Rare Breed. Also really liked it once I stopped adding ice to it!

A small pour of KCSB for me tonight. I haven't been back to this bottle for a while, shame on me because it's excellent stuff. After enjoying some Bulleit Rye of late, I'm picking up mint on the nose and palate of this KCSB. It's not as forward as it is in the Bulleit Rye but it's definitely there. And as I type this, each sip seems better than the last! First the Bookers and now this. Seems as though I'm a Beam fan ...

Tried Bakers lately? Love that stuff, but sadly I'm all out!

I've never bought a bottle of Bakers, however I did try it about six years ago at a relative's place. I wasn't that into Bourbon at the time but we had Bookers, Bakers, Basil Hayden's and Wild Turkey Rare Breed one Sunday afternoon. We drank them all neat. I remember the Bookers being too hot for me; even now I always add a little water. We both enjoyed the Bakers and the Rare Breed but thought very little of the Basil Hayden's. In fact I've never bought a bottle of Rare Breed either, so they are both on the list for future purchase and consumption/enjoyment :)

For me, I think the availability of them in every store I walk into (Dan's, First Choice, BWS etc) means I tend to look past them more than I probably should. I enjoy all the Small Batch Collection (except the port added one), and Rare Breed, but never seem to find myself reaching for them in store.

Rare breeds a regular for me, almost the perfect bourbon for my money.

Never really took a shine to the small batch collection, BH is a complete rip off and the port one is nasty!

Been a while since bookers, I think I need to try it again

BTW I think knob creek is excellent

Good tip, my local is out already.

Came home with a bookers instead. Then got home and jumped on aldi online and ordered two more WT101 8year 1 litres, a four roses small batch and a knob creek.

I understand that a lot of you wont be interested, but the new WT Diamond will be available at a lot of bottle shops around as of 16th august including dans. I am a fan of all wt expressions, and im looking forward to this one!

I think its a blend of 13 and 15 yo bourbons, paying homage to earths longest serving current master distiller. Price is heavy though at a cost of $150!

Considering it ran at $130 (I think) at the Gift Shop, $150 landed here isn't bad at all. I'm up for buying 1, but probably not 2.

Oh, and where is getting it?

Edited by camduncan

If it is anywhere as good as the tradition Im up for it. It has been said before but It is still hard to understand why they would depart from 101 proof.

If it is anywhere as good as the tradition Im up for it. It has been said before but It is still hard to understand why they would depart from 101 proof.

Eddie Russell said he didn't have enough whiskey with adequate proof to make it at 101 proof (or words to that effect) when I asked him about it. That is the proof he originally wanted. Seemed a bit dicey but that is what the man said. Older whiskey at WT (This 13 and 16 yo whiskey) was barreled at a lower proof back at that time than it is now I believe so I suppose it is plausible.

Interesting. I cant provide any qualified insight into how master whiskey blending like this works, but I would have happily have settled on a slightly smaller bottle if the proof was higher. 750ml is bigger than standard anyway.

Considering it ran at $130 (I think) at the Gift Shop, $150 landed here isn't bad at all. I'm up for buying 1, but probably not 2.

Oh, and where is getting it?

It will be widely available in many stores, but Dans and first choice will be the cheapest. Stores are placing orders now, I think thirsty camel and sip n save here in Adelaide, are going to stock it, not sure what their sister stores are called interstate. It will be nationwide. Suprising its not on the dans website already, I would want to spark interest before it hits the shelves.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.