What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2014

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a blast at Whiskey Live Brisbane on the weekend - as a guest Fri night, and serving for Buffalo Trace on Saturday. Got to taste some great pours, in no particular order:

Buffalo Trace

Eagle Rare

Elmer T Lee

Hochstadter's Slow & Low Rock and Rye

Bernheim Wheat Whiskey

Blantons Green

Blantons Original

Willett Pot Still

Pure Kentucky

Kentucky Vintage

Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Jack Daniels unaged Rye

Jack Daniels Rye

Jack Daniels Sinatra Select

Woodford White Dog

Woodford Reserve (barrel select)

Woodford Malt Whiskey

...... And of course, there was the 'under the table' selection :bowdown:

One of the highlights was hearing our very own Scott (aka Hightower) launching into Frank Sinatra renditions on the Brown Forman stand every time someone asked for a pour of the Sinatra Select :)

Mate, when I go the Star I usually just go to the sports bar and I really cant recall anything that stands out there. They do have a pretty decent cigar shop though!

It looks like you had more than a bit of fun Cam! Woodford did not have that selection in Sydney!

Did anyone see if Dan's ever actually had the Winkles for sale? Cause as far as I can see, it went from coming soon to sold out.

Did anyone see if Dan's ever actually had the Winkles for sale? Cause as far as I can see, it went from coming soon to sold out.

It was listed as "coming soon" yesterday. Either it went up for sale briefly and some scumbag bought the whole lot (probably to resell) or there are shenanigans happening on the part of Dan Murphy's or the distributor. Either way it's typical of the slimy hysteria that surrounds the Van Winkle releases (and to a lesser extent the BTAC bottlings). I've never had one and honestly don't give a damn if I never do.

Or, because it's on strict allocation, they only got a handful of bottles and they sold out quickly. :)

Or, because it's on strict allocation, they only got a handful of bottles and they sold out quickly. :)

Perhaps ... but all of the Lot B, PVWFRR and ORVW selling out in less than a day? I'm going to stick with my conspiracy theories ...

Edited by holdtheice

Maybe but I reckon it would have been all brought by staff members or their families, I was checking mainly to see the prices an it went from coming soon to sold out

A source at SouthTrade told me last year that the majority of the Van Winkle products coming into the country gets allocated to bars and clubs. Very little makes it through to retail. What little does has to be allocated across the country. We're talking a few handfuls of cases, not pallet loads.

A source at SouthTrade told me last year that the majority of the Van Winkle products coming into the country gets allocated to bars and clubs. Very little makes it through to retail. What little does has to be allocated across the country. We're talking a few handfuls of cases, not pallet loads.

I am sure that is the case, just seems unlikely that Dan's put it for sale and we all missed it :)

Back from Singapore. Made the decision to save purchasers for DF on return (Melbourne airport had a number of Woodfords, including the derby bottle). Unfortunately, that wasn't available in the smaller store on the way back in. Nonetheless, I'm a sucker for JD special bottles so got the 'old 27' bottle, one of the gold medal bottles, a 1.75 JD and a rare breed. Had another litre to use but moved on.

So you didn't pick up anything from the stores in Singapore? Did you get to any of them to browse? Bars with a good selection? Going in just over 2 weeks and can't wait :)

So you didn't pick up anything from the stores in Singapore? Did you get to any of them to browse? Bars with a good selection? Going in just over 2 weeks and can't wait :)

Just got lazy. Drunk a lot of beer over there. Ate a lot of food. Had the time, just didn't. Enjoy it though.

Finishing off a bottle of ORVW 107 whilst watching college football fom Croke Park (!).

Went to a local with a few family friends last night. Everyone was ordering cocktails and bottles of wine, so on a whim I grabbed a Jim Beam and Cola can. I'd forgotten how easy these are to enjoy, and it washed down my chicken parmy nicely..... And it was sweet enough that I didn't even want to look at the desert menu :)

Glad you said that Cam, Bourbon and cola have a natural affinity and sometimes it's good to simply enjoy something simple.

Went to a local with a few family friends last night. Everyone was ordering cocktails and bottles of wine, so on a whim I grabbed a Jim Beam and Cola can. I'd forgotten how easy these are to enjoy, and it washed down my chicken parmy nicely..... And it was sweet enough that I didn't even want to look at the desert menu :)

It's all my brother in law drinks and it has to be JB (will not touch anything else, even if given to him). I'm good for 2 cans max.

Can't do jbw premixes.

Tried but just can't.!

If it was the rye it'd be a different story

Can't do jbw premixes.

Tried but just can't.!

If it was the rye it'd be a different story

Tried that one in the bottle with 7(?) year old bourbon?

I smashed through a six pack of Woodstock at a mates 30th. Its cheap and the cola doesn't coat my throat like the JB White cans do. I wont drink the Rare Breed cans as I reckon thats a joke of advertising.

Also have more than a few decent pours on the weekend. Wild Turkey Diamond, RHF, EWSB03, GTS, FR Super Premium and ELT. The EWSB blew them all away. That just hits my palate perfectly. I really need to find more of it.

One day I'll do a side by side tasting of my EWSB '93 thru '97 bottles (from back in the day when it was $40 each). Got 2 of each stashed in a cupboard. They need to get opened I say :)

One day I'll do a side by side tasting of my EWSB '93 thru '97 bottles (from back in the day when it was $40 each). Got 2 of each stashed in a cupboard. They need to get opened I say :)

If you can find a '98 and '99 I will send you a spare '00 to get you to the turn of the Century:grin:

I have been drinking some I.W.Harper 12 year old that my folks brought back from Japan - it is smooth, very drinkable.

Also drinking Rusell Reserve.

Cam, I wised I had brought a hell of a lot more EWSB when it was $40 :)

So a crazy question. My brother-in-law lives in Melbourne but is coming to the US to visit at the end of October. My wife's favorite bourbon is Blanton's. I can see online that Dan Murphys has Blanton's gold, but does anyone loca know of anyplace that has straight from the barrel? Or is this something that might be released later on? Thanks for any info!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.