What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2014

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.thewigscellar.com.au/old/

Open weird times so check before you go.

They used to have a heap of BT 90 proof half bottles but someone cleaned them out, I only got to buy one for myself.

Otherwise head out to ackland cellars in st kilda, its a nice trip to take the family down the strip for the famous cake shops and a walk along the esplenade. The cellars have a few oddities from time to time including OGD and FR yellow.

It was not me, that's for sure!

Nice collection Vietish! I've started unconsciously collecting some different looking decanters I've found round the traps. Need a bigger house so I can have a mans cave again.

Enjoying Four Roses Small Batch alot lately, had couple pours on Friday night and opened this. Up there with High West Rendezvous as my fav Ryes at the minute.

post-10510-14489821163296_thumb.jpg

Picked up some Virgin Bourbon today at my local First Choice. On special for $37. Interesting that they had Knob Creek on the shelf. Only $5 dearer than Dan's, and I don't have to wait for shipping. Didn't pull the pin as there some other stuff I want at that price point first (High West Double Rye, Elmer T Lee, Bookers etc), but good to know it's there.

Its funny you say that as my local Dans had both KC on the shelf today.

That's interesting. It still shows as online only on their site. Also of interest, Heaven Hill Try Make (the Rye whiskey that makes Rittenhouse) will be available soon at Dan's. $60 for a 750ml....

I see ORVV will be available soon at dans. No price as yet, whos going to have a guess how much?

I heard a rumor that Dan's purchased a majority share in Southtrade - the company bringing in BT products. Guess it means they'll be able to stock what they want from the BT selection now.

I wonder if that will flow on to bws and woolies? My guess for orvw is $120.

I may be abit cynical but my guess is to obtain what little allocation Australia gets for vw products to corner the market and cut the little guys out.

They also sell alot of bt stuff already, so I suppose it is possible that prices could decrease.

Doubt it though

Given the prices they charged when they got stock of Van Winkle late last year, I doubt they'll do us any favors. I'm more holding out that we might see more products like Benchmark, Weller and Ancient Age.

Now that would be great! Quite enjoyed aa 86 whilst over in the USA last year. Haven't had the privilege of the others you mentioned Cam.

Fingers crossed

I would be very surprised is ORVW is less than $230 at Dan's. Weller is high on my to try list. I have been drinking regular for Australia (40%) Buffalo Trace, I always go back to it and I always have a bottle open. I remember Harlen saying it is his favourite bourbon, and he as heaps to chose from. I forgot to ask him if he notice a large difference between the 45% and 40% Buffalo Trace. Next drink I am buying is Crown Royal Maple flavour (it appeals to me), hopefully it drinks as good as it sounds.

I'm a fan of the Crown Royal Maple, but I'm one of the few on here who enjoys a flavoured whiskey when I feel like something different..

I will play too, I reckon ORVW willl be $169

Also would love to see weller come to australia, havent tried the benchmark and even though I enjoyed my last bottle of AA 10 year, its not something I would search out, I would just be happy to get the full strength BT back

Considering there is shortages of Buffalo Trace product in different parts of the US I don't know what the likelihood of us getting Weller is. Maybe Antique 107, but would really love some Weller 12. I've bunkered a few to make the 'blend' of the two made famous on here, but its hard going to even see Weller for sale on the interwebs.

I wont hold my breath for a good deal from Dan's. I would guess north of 150 and closer to 200.

I have some Weller and while its ok, its not really one of my favs and hardly a go to pour for me. I am really burning through EWSB2003. I need to actually slow down on it. Tonight its a decent pour of FR Super Premium

Did you previously have a 2002 bottle of EWSB to compare? I didn't really fancy mine but it opened up well over time. Have a 2003 I think I'm gonna crack when I get back in country! Had some Rittenhouse crafted Old Fashioneds before leaving SYD on Sunday night. Love that stuff.

Enjoy the trip mate!

Just cracked open a bottle of CEHT Small Batch.

It does a have a nice bit of heat for a 50% and I like that.

Edited by Vietish

Sipping on some WT101 8 year after ordering some of aldi online, 1liter for $69, I got a few for the collection, they also have stetson for $45, they seem to fast becoming a very handy bourbon supplier.

Had a nice afternoon at The Gresham Bar in Brisbane CBD yesterday. Enjoyed a pour of Jefferson Reserve followed by an Old Fashioned made with Eagle Rare. A great place to sip away and immerse yourself in the restored early 20's charm. Best of all, they don't server food so you can BYO your lunch :)

Thought I'd give my top five that ive been drinking recently, strictly neat. The criteria is just easy to obtain in the Aussie market

1. Baby saz

2. Ew2002 sb

3. KC SMLB

4. HW Rend Rye

5. Templeton rye

I know that I have a preference for low proof ryes, but to me I love the spice I get without the heat. Its kinda hard to describe.

Honorable mentions go to Bt, wt101 and wt forgiven!

Thought I'd give my top five that ive been drinking recently, strictly neat. The criteria is just easy to obtain in the Aussie market

1. Baby saz

2. Ew2002 sb

3. KC SMLB

4. HW Rend Rye

5. Templeton rye

I know that I have a preference for low proof ryes, but to me I love the spice I get without the heat. Its kinda hard to describe.

Honorable mentions go to Bt, wt101 and wt forgiven!

Edited by onemorepour

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.