What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My son is at that South Carolina game! Me, I'm taking my first sip from a store selection 10 YO McKenna BIB. First experience with McKenna and I am really enjoying it. Really hard to put your finger on any one thing. It is really bourbony and really good.

ER10yr last night. Pretty god store picked barrel.
It think everything at that store is good. How'd you get in??!?! :D

Bourbon fans spend their entire lives sharing with angels. That sort of thing cuts a lot of red tape.

Bourbon fans spend their entire lives sharing with angels. That sort of thing cuts a lot of red tape.

:grin:

I always placed the ungodly good selections to the devilishly :70358-devil::70358-devil::70358-devil: good picking team, including me on some of he most recent.

Even not counting the typo, it helps that we all have a good consensus on what we like.

Speaking of heavenly good picks, the ETL in the glass is hitting it tonight.

B

Long day of high school soccer with a very competitive match this evening. It is a double pour night! Enjoying a nice pour of Crown OBSK, 2014 Whiskey of the Year. OBSK is always good stuff!

went to a friends b-day/housewarming party tonight. He was gifted about 15 bottles of bourbon, including RR10/90, multiple EC12's, HH6/90, Old Bardstown 101, MichtersSmB, Rebel Reserve, multiple FRSB's (he likes those), BH, ETL, KC, Bulleit rye, multiple Larceny's, and others I cant remember.

Im a WT fan, but remember not liking RR 10/90 much last time I tried it, so I tried it again. Same result. Then had some HH 6/90 and thought it was much better than the RR. I'm still poor at verbalizing what I do or don't like about a bourbon, and can't put my finger on what it is with that one. I think WT gets better with proof hikes, maybe that was it.....I think the same thing about HH and Beam stuff.

Let me guess, Rebel Reserve was a gift from the brother in law.

I dont know who brought that, Id never seen/noticed it out anywhere before. I gave him several of those gifted bottles, one of them being the HH6 90, which was probably cheaper than the Rebel Reserve....but, I know it's his favorite mixer bourbon. It's also one I'd take over half of the others gifted him. But, I'm cheap and easy....at least my wife says that about me

Had a couple of pours of JPS at a party tonight (just 'cause I won't buy it doesn't mean I won't drink it). I find it to be a decent pour...nothing outstanding, but a fairly well balanced sipper with light spice countering the dry oak finish.

I fired up my pit today and smoked three rack of ribs, two pork tenderloins and about 20 ABTs. Little did I know it would turn into what I consider one of my top three bbqs ever. I had some old high school buddies over and after dining until we couldn't eat any more, we still found the will to share the following bourbons and beers - Stagg Jr., OFBB13, FRLESmB11, Goose Island BCBS and Founder's KBS.

Let me guess, Rebel Reserve was a gift from the brother in law.

There's no such thing as bad bourbon. Some are just better than others. There just happens to be many, many others that are better than Rebel Reserve.

It's been a Four Rose night, a couple of pours of small batch followed by a 2014 SB LE after the Cards lost to the Reds.

Let's hope we can toast something special to the Cards after this month is over!

Makers 46. I like it. Nice wheater nose. Good flavor - if lacking a bit of depth. I wonder: has anyone tried to substitute M46 for OWA in a variant of the SB Blend? Will give this try myself when I can get my hands on a bottle of Weller 12.

Makers 46. I like it. Nice wheater nose. Good flavor - if lacking a bit of depth. I wonder: has anyone tried to substitute M46 for OWA in a variant of the SB Blend? Will give this try myself when I can get my hands on a bottle of Weller 12.

You'd end up with a much lower proof result, but it could be interesting.

When I approach creating my SB Blend, I look to the OWA to provide the "base" and "body" of the mingling. It's a thick, chewy, sweet, and powerful wheater that is ripe to be converted. The W12 gives it the sparkle. Dry, oaky, and sooty. Kinda like Coke concentrate and soda at the restaurant...The combination of the two are meant for each other. IMO, I don't think MM46 can replace the body of the OWA. Not, that it won't result in an interesting or good combo, but I don't think it will be in the SB Blend vein.

I love the SB Blend and can't argue with anything you said. Maybe as AMG notes, the lower poof of the M46 isn't sufficient as the base. Will have to open a bottle of the OWA and do a side by side. At least OWA IS available widely in NJ. Would love to get my hands on a bottle of the Makers Barrel Strength...

Finished off a sample vatting I did of OGD BIB with Old Forester Sig.... 1/2 & 1/2. Pretty good. A bit sweeter than I would've guessed it would be, but not too sweet. I think I'll have to make up a larger batch.

finally emptied and put the KY tavern BIB out for recycling. The other one will just stay in the 'discontinued' stash.....er, bunker....

now, onto a more enjoyable sip o' OGD114

Thanks to a trade with another SB'er, I'm enjoying a nice sip of Beam's Black Label, 101 month 90 proof. Classy plastic bottle, but really nice bourbon inside. I have a bit of a supply now to enjoy.

I look forward to a blind flight with some other Beam products someday.

Me being a tax accountant and today being September 15 (the major federal filing deadline), today I've had a WTRB, two Blantons, and a Bakers. Later tonight I'm going to fire up a cigar and do a BT wheater flight. OWA, W12, ORVW 10/107 '13, and WLW '12. It's been a rough three months, but today is a good day.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!