What Bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2014

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My first bottle of Ezra B 101 7 yr. First time I've seen it in the wild so had to have some.:cool::cool:

Decided to pick up a Rhetoric. I am one of the few who likes Barterhouse so it will be interesting to see how this compares.

Decided to pick up a Rhetoric. I am one of the few who likes Barterhouse so it will be interesting to see how this compares.

I am liking it a lot more than the Barterhouse.

What was the price point? If you don't mind me asking!

One more Bookers 25th for my bunker. Its the third I've put back and likely my last.

Oh and Parker's Promise of Hope. It just looked lonely sitting there.

What was the price point? If you don't mind me asking!

Don't mind at all, I paid $90

Picked up a ECBP batch 3, WT rye 101 (new), and an Bowman Millennium Edition.

Grabbed a michters 10 year...they also had BTEC and BT Single Oak, but I have plenty of those.

Placed an order from K&L for their store barrel picks. Pick up 1 bottle of #1700 and there is just 9 bottles left out of 108. And 2 bottles #1087 (96 bottle yield) which is sold out now. I have way too many of their EC store selects but I do love them.

Placed an order from K&L for their store barrel picks. Pick up 1 bottle of #1700 and there is just 9 bottles left out of 108. And 2 bottles #1087 (96 bottle yield) which is sold out now. I have way too many of their EC store selects but I do love them.

Too many EC12 barrels, too little time and $$.

I tell everyone that chases the Smooth Ambler CS stuff or even just the off the shelf 7 yr, just get a bottle of K&L's Faultline bourbon and be done with it. No, it's not the most amazing MGP sauce for $40, but it's a SA 10 and 7 yr blend the David's picked out and at least they got it right by having them proof it out to 100 rather than knock it down. If you think about it, it's a fairly rare opportunity.

Too many EC12 barrels, too little time and $$.

I tell everyone that chases the Smooth Ambler CS stuff or even just the off the shelf 7 yr, just get a bottle of K&L's Faultline bourbon and be done with it. No, it's not the most amazing MGP sauce for $40, but it's a SA 10 and 7 yr blend the David's picked out and at least they got it right by having them proof it out to 100 rather than knock it down. If you think about it, it's a fairly rare opportunity.

I really like the Faultline (which is a blend of the high and low rye mashbills from MGPI, The 10 is the low rye I believe) but enjoy having both of the mashbills by themselves as well to compare. The Smooth Ambler notes the younger bottles are the high rye but I don't think they seem to talk as much about the 10yo on the website that I could find in a brief search. And bottles of late seem to be inconsistent about noting the source as Indiana at all which seems odd as they are generally pretty up front about the source.

The other problem being that not everyone has ready access to K&L products. In my case that may well be a good thing...

after junkyarding for old mustang pieces (where the hell did all the millions of 79-86 mustangs go?!), I stopped at a Sam's to stock us up for the weekend's graduation/licensure party. I knew from last time that they were the cheapest on Booker's, and I wanted a new one for the blind tasting, so I grabbed one for $43. Also, my wife's favorite wine, which was already a good $5 cheaper there than here locally, was now priced an additional $2 cheaper for some reason, so I loaded her up. Also grabbed a 24 case of Heineken for my friend who is painting my Mustang for me....he gets all excited when I show up with a case to give him.

I noticed the batch says 2013-7 on the Booker's. Did they change the way they name the batches, or is it some special selection?

Edited by 393foureyedfox

after junkyarding for old mustang pieces (where the hell did all the millions of 79-86 mustangs go?!), I stopped at a Sam's to stock us up for the weekend's graduation/licensure party. I knew from last time that they were the cheapest on Booker's, and I wanted a new one for the blind tasting, so I grabbed one for $43. Also, my wife's favorite wine, which was already a good $5 cheaper there than here locally, was now priced an additional $2 cheaper for some reason, so I loaded her up. Also grabbed a 24 case of Heineken for my friend who is painting my Mustang for me....he gets all excited when I show up with a case to give him.

I noticed the batch says 2013-7 on the Booker's. Did they change the way they name the batches, or is it some special selection?

I think 2013-6 and 2013-7 are the whiskey writer panel selected batches. Not sure if the numbering change is permanent but I believe that's how Booker's 25th is numbered as well.

Two FRSBLE 2014 and two FRGS OESQ bottles, I just love me some OESQ. And again appreciation to this board and the great members particularly the one that helped with this.

20140625_145639.jpg

Best regards, Tony

I think 2013-6 and 2013-7 are the whiskey writer panel selected batches. Not sure if the numbering change is permanent but I believe that's how Booker's 25th is numbered as well.

cool. it'll be interesting to see if its somehow different than my older bottle.

cool. it'll be interesting to see if its somehow different than my older bottle.

I have a bottle from batch 2013-7. Recently my local Costco started to sell Bookers and the batch numbers is not the same. I'm unsure if the Costco batches are recent. Personally I really like batch 2013-7 over the last standard batch of Bookers. The 2013-7 seems to have a bit more caramel and a very slight orange citrus note that went perfectly with orange bitters in an old fashioned. The finish is also a bit woodier to me. I'll pick up another bottle once this one is done, only 1/4 left.

WT101 to vat 50/50 with some 4RYL I already have. This is a combo I have been wanting to try for sometime so work permitting tonight will be that night.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!