What Bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2014

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saturday's purchase: McKenna 10 Year. This is my first actual bourbon purchase of a bottle, so I'm pretty excited about it.

Russell's Reserve SmBSB Loch & Key Selection - first time I've come across a store select of a Wild Turkey label.

Hopefully that RRSmBSB will be good, my local store is bringing one in soon, looking forward to that selection.

Today I found a OGD BIB on the dump out rack for $16. Figured I'd take it home, no reason to dump out good bourbon.

Though I technically purchased it last Friday at the gift shop, I had to ship it to myself (didn't have big enough bags to safely pack them in for airline checking) and they arrived today.

(2) WFE 9yr bourbons, (1) WFE 6yr rye, and (1) of their new 2 yr ryes.

Lucky dog! I was in there one week after you (3 days ago) and they were sold out of everything except the 2 year rye, 6 year rye and the 23 year bourbon ($375).

Just returned from the bourbon trail. Picked up some good stuff...

1 GS Selection OBSO

1 GS Selection OESK

1 GS WFE 2 year Rye

1 VOB BIB

1 Makers 46

Let us know what you think Pug.

I had a sample of it a couple of months ago at the whiskey shop, I like it a lot. The first sip out of the bottle probably needed a few more minutes to burn off some of the burn, but it's a smooth and delicious bourbon (says the bourbon neophyte).

Picked up a Booker's 127.1 proof for $37. Never had it and want to compare it to ECBP. Probably will go back and pick up some SAOS 7 since it seems pretty difficult to get where I live. I really like that stuff.

Just a little ole bottle of OWA107. Almost done with the one in my bar so time to restock!

Got a line on some Weller 12. Nice way to start a vacation. Anyone have tips for shipping bottles back home?

I recommend FedEx Home Delivery - much faster than regular ground shipping and for whatever reason, it's way the hell cheaper. If you can - print the shipping label and affix to the box beforehand so you can just drop it off without having to get probed by anyone.

If you're getting a lot of sloshing from the juice in the bottles, try and mitigate with extra paper/padding inside. If you've got it on hand - rice inside an envelope, taped to one of the inside walls of the box works really well to mask sloshing.

/tips learned from beer shipping

Someone sent me a "test tube" half full of gumballs along with some bottles once. I thought he was just being nice.

I once used dry quinoa in the envelope because we were out of rice. My girlfriend was pissed. Tried to assure her it was less than $.30 worth. Didn't matter.

What geographic area are you located in BigRich, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in Metro Atlanta

I broke down and bought a Rhetoric yesterday. Haven't tried it yet, but plan to do so in the near future. I like the Barterhouse, but I'm not blown away by it. I guess I'm just a sucker for the unique.

Come to think of it, I usually find myself thinking that purchases over $90 are not worth it. I've enjoyed every bottle I've paid that much for, but being honest with myself I usually reflect back with a "that was good, but it wasn't $100 a bottle worth of good" attitude. Was the Booker's 25th that much better than the regular Bookers? Not in my view (but hey, it looks cool on the shelf).

On the other hand, I've almost always found that the $45-75 bottles are worth the price. And I buy enough $20 Costco special EWSB's, OGD 114, etc. to balance things out.

Picked up SAOS 7, I have the 10 and like it, looking forward to trying the 7 tonight.

Bought a bottle of OBSK for $45 in Lexington - just can't pass up that price.

Wow, grab a case at that price.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!