What Bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2014

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Couple of Gift Shop OBSO's courtesy of a fellow SBer who is on the trail. Starting to pile up quite a few barrel proof selections, especially once the GBS barrel comes in

I passed on several decent priced bottles today. I am saving my $$$ for a few store select FR BPs but I want to try a few of the recipes first. I am also waiting on a couple other store selects that should be coming in soon. I did walk out with an OWA. I haven't seen one in Indy since last fall. The price was a little higher, $27.99. There were only 3 bottles on the shelf so I thought I should pick up one.

I went on a trip to Florida and came back with:

2007 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

2008 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

2012 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

2013 Thomas H Handy Sazerac

Woodford Masters Collection 4 Wood

Elmer T Lee

Elmer T Lee

Nice trip, I'm a wee bit jealous!

Elmer T Lee

Must have been on the east coast?

Elmer T Lee

You sell your liver for this buy?

Finally found some Weller 12, picked up 3. Also a handle of Larceny. $20 rebate makes it pretty cheap. I wish this stuff was available in MN.

It was a good day 8yquhutu.jpg

The bottle of Few collaboration you got there... Was really disappointed, lacked body and complexity... I hope you like it more..

The bottle of Few collaboration you got there... Was really disappointed, lacked body and complexity... I hope you like it more..

We are not allowed to like that one. You know, because of labeling laws :)

Figured I'd give it a whirl. Obviously the Four Roses was the prize of the day. Excited to try it.

we were having my licensure party today, and I wanted to do a blind tasting of 100-ish proof bourbons, so I picked up an OGDBIB, to go along with the WT101, HH6BIB, Dickel 9 year, and CEHT SmB I already had. Of the 5 of us that participated, 3 picked the Dickel 9 as the best, one picked the CEHT, and one the OGDBIB. I could barely distinguish the CEHT and the OGD, but marginally put the CEHT above the OGD. My picks, in order, were: Dickel 9 (go figure...), CEHT, OGDBIB, WT101, and HH6BIB (which surprised me to put it last, but, it was a good mix to start with, so even last place wasnt bad in that crowd).

people brought lots of bottles for gifts too:

post-10005-14489821069872_thumb.jpg

a Fighting Cock 6/103 (the name guarantees it to always be a gift among this crowd), a McKenna BIB, two Old Bardstowns, a KCSB, a BT white dog, a HH BIB gold, a Noahs Mill, and a Cardhu scotch (from a scotch buddy. Im exposing him to bourbons and hes trying to get me into scothes, to which I have practically no experience). Quite a score, but I was most excited at the store pick McKenna BIB. Fun times!

CEHT, OGDBIB, WT101, and HH6BIB would have been my order too. I can't include Dickel 9 because I haven't tried it. I don't care much for Dickel 12 but I understand they are quite different. Of course, CEHT falls down the list of buys a little because of its price relative to the others.

CEHT, OGDBIB, WT101, and HH6BIB would have been my order too. I can't include Dickel 9 because I haven't tried it. I don't care much for Dickel 12 but I understand they are quite different. Of course, CEHT falls down the list of buys a little because of its price relative to the others.

yeah, with me barely being able to distinguish CEHT SmB from OGDBIB in a blind tasting, $17 beats $40+ every time. The cooler label and classy bottle of the CEHT doesnt justify 2.5x the price.

The Dickel 9 is so peculiar in profile and taste that it was easy to tell what I had from the first sniff. That's an easy 95 on that one, and well beyond all the others, to me. Im still kinda surprised HH6 came in last. I'd never had any CEHT before, and I kinda expected the OGDBIB to be last for me, yet it came in a very very close third, behind the CEHT. 3 of us found CEHT and OGDBIB barely distinguishable.

of the 20+ bourbons out on the counter tonight, Booker's, MM46 and new WTRB got hit the hardest. I was kinda glad the MM46 got hammered, as Ive kinda waned on my interest in it, and the guy pounding it really enjoyed it.

We are not allowed to like that one. You know, because of labeling laws :)

Shaddup, Kevin!

I hope that it's some tasty whiskey.

yeah, with me barely being able to distinguish CEHT SmB from OGDBIB in a blind tasting, $17 beats $40+ every time. The cooler label and classy bottle of the CEHT doesnt justify 2.5x the price.

When the classy bottle is emptied fill it with Grand Dad and serve with a straight face.

When the classy bottle is emptied fill it with Grand Dad and serve with a straight face.

I bet few would know any better

ETL Comm. Was lucky to find it at $45. Around here, its been put on the shelves at 50-100% mark-up. I thanked the owner for putting it out at a fair price (he knows his bourbons well), and told him I would be back. He was genuinely happy that I was happy. Bourbon can be a lot of fun.

ETL Comm. Was lucky to find it at $45. Around here, its been put on the shelves at 50-100% mark-up. I thanked the owner for putting it out at a fair price (he knows his bourbons well), and told him I would be back. He was genuinely happy that I was happy. Bourbon can be a lot of fun.

Yeah, me too! I believe I know the OFSB you are talking about. I saw an on-line tasting review of it. I thought they were going to have two different barrels but I only saw one in the store. I passed for now because the price was significantly higher than I expected, not to say it isn't worth it but I need to know more before buying.

I flinched a little at the price, but figured I would check it out for science. I didn't crack it this weekend but probably will soon. I want to grab some OF Sig to do a SBS. Don't currently have that on hand. I do have a 200mL Woodford, though, which might make an interesting comparison.

Old Forester was something I thought might make a good choice in the ever contracting world of barrel selection possibilities. After all, we like the birthday selections pretty well...

I still hold hope. Perhaps this one is just a difference in preferences between the tasters who selected it and the customer.

tbt

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!