What Bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2014

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finally picked up some Evan Williams 10 year. Don't know how I've not tasted this one yet.

It was the '03. Did you guys say you liked the '04, or the '03 better?

My preference was 02, 03, and then 04

Picked up a store select Old Forester Single Barrel today. Curious about this one.

Obviously a different barrel, but I wasn't really impressed with the one my local store got. After discussing the selection process, the cost and the actual bourbon made available to them, they stated they would never do another with Old Forester. I found it surprising that the selection wound up being more per bottle than the standard stuff as opposed to less which is typically the case with other selections.

None the less, mine was decent, but not worth the mark up. If I recall it was in the 4-6 year range. Hopefully yours will be more memorable than the bottle I got. I chalk my purchase up to supporting the local shop that supports me with nice things.

Procured a store selection of Buffalo Trace, and a batch 5 of ECBP. Not a bad start to the weekend.

Never even saw this in KC

Could be distributor related. Here's hoping a bottle will find itself your way in the near future!

My preference was 02, 03, and then 04

co-sign ... although the store select '03 I have beats both the standard '03 I found and the '02... but it is really splitting hairs. '04 is less interesting, but again, I've enjoyed every EWSB I've had ('99 through '04) for what it was.

I like the EWSB series because I also like certain wines/vineyards - regardless of the growing conditions in that year, I always buy certain producer's wines - certain vintages are better, but the lesser vintages are still fun to explore and for the point chasers, can often provide value.

I scooped a 750, 'House Pick' of Angel's Envy (Port Wine Cask finish) by a local retailer. He gave me sample to taste... it was pretty darned good. Very nice, different finish. Also grabbed the first I've seen of the new 7-year old Bernheim Wheat. I don't expect it to be much different (if any at all) from the existing NAS BW; but I figured I'd do a SBS at some point and see if I could find a difference.

Picked up a store select Old Forester Single Barrel today. Curious about this one.
Obviously a different barrel, but I wasn't really impressed with the one my local store got. After discussing the selection process, the cost and the actual bourbon made available to them, they stated they would never do another with Old Forester. I found it surprising that the selection wound up being more per bottle than the standard stuff as opposed to less which is typically the case with other selections.

Had a good-sized sample (rather than a baby pee cup) at a local that bought one. It was borderline awful. All over the place. Might have just had bad mojo that day because I'm a huge fan of OF Sig 100. I'm going to have to go back and hit it again.

Had a good-sized sample (rather than a baby pee cup) at a local that bought one. It was borderline awful. All over the place. Might have just had bad mojo that day because I'm a huge fan of OF Sig 100. I'm going to have to go back and hit it again.

My advice would be to just stick with the reasonably price OF Sig 100. Known quantity vs the barrel selections.

Is it me or did GA just have a huge Stagg Jr shipment? I've seen a ton of it on the shelves in the last 2 weeks.

Just you. :)

Really, I've only seen it at the one place I bought it and those Stagg bottles have been there for about six weeks. Maybe it's an ITP/OTP thing.

I scooped a 750, 'House Pick' of Angel's Envy (Port Wine Cask finish) by a local retailer. He gave me sample to taste... it was pretty darned good. Very nice, different finish.

All AE bourbon is finished in port casks. The "house pick" probably means they had AE come in an do a custom blend for them which consists of 3 different post-port cask finishes; A is like 3 weeks, B is 6, C is like 9? I can't remember the exact times per version. The proportions should be written on the side of the bottle.

It's been months since I did it at a local store. I leaned heavily toward "A" which is the closest in flavor and complexity to their Cask Strength LE (which is da bomb!).

co-sign ... although the store select '03 I have beats both the standard '03 I found and the '02... but it is really splitting hairs. '04 is less interesting, but again, I've enjoyed every EWSB I've had ('99 through '04) for what it was.

I like the EWSB series because I also like certain wines/vineyards - regardless of the growing conditions in that year, I always buy certain producer's wines - certain vintages are better, but the lesser vintages are still fun to explore and for the point chasers, can often provide value.

Just you. :)

Really, I've only seen it at the one place I bought it and those Stagg bottles have been there for about six weeks. Maybe it's an ITP/OTP thing.

Picked up Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10yr, I like the 7 so I thought I would give the 10 a try.

Man I wish Texas had this. Apparently the 7 year is in a few select stores but I don't think the 10 year is though I've never seen it. Would love to find the 10 year.

I am enjoying the SAOS 10yr. Very curious to see what their actual juice is like once it is aged. If they can distill and age as well as they can source it should be pretty good!

Though I technically purchased it last Friday at the gift shop, I had to ship it to myself (didn't have big enough bags to safely pack them in for airline checking) and they arrived today.

(2) WFE 9yr bourbons, (1) WFE 6yr rye, and (1) of their new 2 yr ryes.

I don't often venture out on Saturdays but Mrs tt got an appointment for the girls to get their do's at Petco.

Seeing I was out and they were going to be there awhile I decided it was time for hunting trip north of the border. I had googled six stops and my first four I was getting pretty discouraged. I have a better selection in my bunker than all of them put together.

Stop #5 yielded a ECSB #5 and a EC21. Since I had never tried the EC21 and it was $129.00 it came home with me.

Stop #6 was even more better:

Very Old Barton 6 year x2 with plenty more on the shelf

Woodford Reserve Classic Malt - first time I've seen it

Angels Envy Rye - first time I've seen it and since there was dust must be last years release

Jack Daniels 2012 Holiday Select - first JD I've bought in 3 years but the 90.4 proof @ $44.99 got me

Now if only Petco would call and say the girls are ready I can enjoy some nice pours.

I don't often venture out on Saturdays.

Lucky bastard. We spend all day Saturday running around. Just got back actually. I lost of lot of life-force today, as I do every Saturday. Makes the first pour later on that much sweeter though.

Barterhouse x1

HH 8/86 x2

McKenna barrel pick x 1

excited about all, as I really like BH and HH, and I helped pick the McKenna.

Good day all around.

B

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!