What Bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2014

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A very thoughtful friend brought me a couple goodies from her trip to Japan. Not sure if it's visible, but the Evan Williams 12yr is 101 proof, which is pretty cool.

e9674798cf2213a716ff50a416d046a9.jpg

I am definitely jealous of the bottles people found in Kentucky this past weekend though. Nice work everyone.

A very thoughtful friend brought me a couple goodies from her trip to Japan. Not sure if it's visible, but the Evan Williams 12yr is 101 proof, which is pretty cool.

e9674798cf2213a716ff50a416d046a9.jpg

I am definitely jealous of the bottles people found in Kentucky this past weekend though. Nice work everyone.

Binny's order:

2 EW BIB (this can be found in CA, but this is still cheaper even with shipping)

1 Old Charter 8 (can't find this on the shelf here, not expecting much, but curious)

1 VOB BIB (a backup bottle for the backup bottle, just to be safe)

1 Mellow Corn (again not expecting much but curious)

1 JTS Brown BIB (the throwback label is almost worth the price alone)

My first ever dusty - mid 80's WT101 8yr.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19399[/ATTACH]

That's the sort of prize that makes the hunt worthwhile.

Binny's order:

2 EW BIB (this can be found in CA, but this is still cheaper even with shipping)

1 Old Charter 8 (can't find this on the shelf here, not expecting much, but curious)

1 VOB BIB (a backup bottle for the backup bottle, just to be safe)

1 Mellow Corn (again not expecting much but curious)

1 JTS Brown BIB (the throwback label is almost worth the price alone)

Wow, it looks like you were shopping at my house. The OC 8 it a very mild bourbon with no rough edges. It's as good or better than most 80 proof bourbons. My last EW BIB, I decided I like HH 6 year better, or splurge on Henry McKenna 10 year BIB.

Edited by PaulO

Wow, it looks like you were shopping at my house. The OC 8 it a very mild bourbon with no rough edges. It's as good or better than most 80 proof bourbons. My last EW BIB, I decided I like HH 6 year better, or splurge on Henry McKenna 10 year BIB.

I wish I could get HH6, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to get HH6 (or any other HH branded product) in California, even by mail order. If someone knows of a place that ships HH6 or other HH-branded products, please let me know. Otherwise I have to wait until the Christmas season for my buddy to make is annual visit to his parents in KY and, hopefully, mule me back a couple bottles.

I have not seen Charter on the shelves out here in CA either; I am not sure it is totally nonexistent or just nonexistent is the 50 or so stores I have visited recently. I am interested in it because, as I recall, it is a very high corn mash, different in that way that most other bourbons. I am building my bourbon "library" so the Charter and the Mellow Corn are going to fill out that end of the spectrum (with ryes on the opposite end).

My original order included an Old Fitz BiB (which would have played backup to the existing bottle I have from a previous order), which another item that is not available on the shelves in CA as far as I can see. But they were out so I substituted a second EW BiB, which I find to be an enjoyable bourbon -- nothing mind-blowing, but a solid pour,

Paul,

Old Fitz BiB has limited availability in CA. At least, I have seen it here. In fact, there was a store closer to you that had it. It was a big shop in Oxnard.. maybe a year ago? I also saw it recently at a store near me.

It's clear that both HH products and Charter were available at some point, since I have found examples of both from dusty hunting.

FWIW, I would take current EW BiB over the OF BiB any day. With my luck they are the same and I'm letting my perception run the show :rolleyes:

If someone knows of a place that ships HH6 or other HH-branded products, please let me know.

I have not seen Charter on the shelves out here in CA either;

My original order included an Old Fitz BiB . But they were out so I substituted a second EW BiB

Edited by bmajazz

FWIW, I would take current EW BiB over the OF BiB any day. With my luck they are the same and I'm letting my perception run the show :rolleyes:

Those are two different mashbills.

Paul,

Old Fitz BiB has limited availability in CA. At least, I have seen it here. In fact, there was a store closer to you that had it. It was a big shop in Oxnard.. maybe a year ago? I also saw it recently at a store near me.

It's clear that both HH products and Charter were available at some point, since I have found examples of both from dusty hunting.

Yeah, I should have known that Old Fitz BiB would be around somewhere, since there is VS Old Fitz to be found here and there. Still, Binny's has a pretty good price ($19.99 as I recall), so even with shipping the total price might be equal to or less than the shelf price here.

I know Charter dusties have existed in CA, so that is part of the reason I figure it is probably out there somewhere on shelf in CA, but I have never seen it, dusty or not.

As to HH, I know that HH products like Fighting Cock and so on are around, but I have never seen an actual HH-branded product. Again, the problem could be that I have not been to the right place; like the mega-liquor stores in LA that are not BevMo could be the place to go.

For me, the Binny's shipping for six bottles is less than $30, which means less than $5 a bottle, and the tax is way less that CA tax too. If you look at something like VOB 100 at $13.99 from Binny's, that is a screaming deal even when you include shipping. IF you could get it here (and you cannot) it would certainly be a $20+ bottle. Also, much as I hate to admit it since it makes me too similar to consumerist drones who I look down on, internet shopping late at night after sampling a few bourbons is just too easy. Point, click, go to bed. Booze arrives a few days later. What a country!

From what I was told. I'm the first person to be sold this from Va ABC.

[ATTACH]19417[/ATTACH]

Was that off the shelf or was that a special order? As I went last week to a couple of stores and didn't see it, and didn't see it listed in the special order catalog.

Thanks!

Was that off the shelf or was that a special order? As I went last week to a couple of stores and didn't see it, and didn't see it listed in the special order catalog.

Thanks!

No it wasn't off the shelf. A restaurant ordered two bottles and I inquired about it as well. So this morning the manager calls me and let me know they had then in. Dm me I may be able to help next week.

I got an entire case of ETL. Great batch too.

That's the key, finding a batch you like and buying several bottles. I have always assumed that distributors divide bottles among several stores in an area but, since BT doesn't include the barrel number on the bottle, it is isn't always certain.

I bought another bottle of Crown's SA OS, 8 year. I love this selection and it has almost dried up. I want to add a few more to the bunker before they disappear.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!