What Bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2014

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Made the 45 minute trip to my closest Binny's. Picked up 2 FRSB PS (OESO and OBSK), Smooth Ambler 7 yr Rye, James E Pepper 1776 Bourbon, and HH Ultra Deluxe (only eponymous HH product I've seen). My fiance picked out a bottle of wine for <$10 and told me I could pay for it since I already had such a large purchase. :lol: I hope to find some EWBIB, I think that could mix well with the HHUD to bring up the proof and add a little more complexity.

Someone mentioned Maker's Barrel Proof? I can't wait to see that in my area...

Jason

Jason I hope you're not disappointed with the Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe (I was) as it's very basic stuff with a very nice label. I has it's uses but I wouldn't expect much.

I aquired a bottle the hard way this past weekend,Kinnickinnic whiskey, was at my last show for the year,and decided to take a walk around as I had finished setting up early,was walking across an isle when BAM I was being pushed backwards,some lady in a mini van was backing up and smacked me good,put a nice dent in her tailgate.I didn't hit the ground but was shocked to hell,she got out and was very apologetic and asked if I was alright , I replied I dont know I just got hit by a mini-van.Anyway she parked her vehicle and came back over by me and asked if I drank tea(she was a food vendor)I said no I drink whiskey,a few hrs. later she came back and set this bottle in my lap. Still a bit sore, and have not tried it yet,but it is a blend of bourbon,rye and malt whiskey.Man I tell you, damn near run over at an art show!

I could not resist, I went back and bought he last two bottles of FRBP private selection OESQ after test driving yesterday. The sweetness of the higher corn mashbill may not appeal to everyone but it was just sooooooo smooth it's impossible to turn away. Have 1 open and 3 for the bunker. The yield on the barrel was a paltry 24 bottles so it went fast. FR's said it's the smallest yield they've ever had on a private selection. Speculation is there had to have been a small drip leak over the ten years of aging.

Stumbled upon ETL for the first time since winter, so I grabbed one (limit one per customer, of course). Also picked up an OBSK for good measure.

I could not resist, I went back and bought he last two bottles of FRBP private selection OESQ after test driving yesterday. The sweetness of the higher corn mashbill may not appeal to everyone but it was just sooooooo smooth it's impossible to turn away. Have 1 open and 3 for the bunker. The yield on the barrel was a paltry 24 bottles so it went fast. FR's said it's the smallest yield they've ever had on a private selection. Speculation is there had to have been a small drip leak over the ten years of aging.

Most likely they were sharing a barrel, there is no way that a barrel only yield 24 bottles.

Most likely they were sharing a barrel, there is no way that a barrel only yield 24 bottles.

While they certainly might have been sharing a barrel, I would disagree that there is 'no way that a barrel only yield 24 bottles'. I have seen more than one "very short" barrels (typically 8 yrs +) where the yield winds up being under 60 bottles. It does happen, albeit not very often (thankfully for us!)

I took a gamble on a WT101/8yr decanter from 1984. Overpaid (although honestly not sure what the retail was originally for these decanters?) but it felt pretty full - and the cap/head was firmly attached (not even needing the tacky scotch tape you see on some!) with the tax stamp unbroken. I was ecstatic to find it was full - with no discernible loss! The cork promptly broke, but was firmly sealed - and after straining out the pieces it filled up an empty AAA bottle about as full as it gets! Looking forward to tasting tonight!

Also picked up another Lot 40 (pre-2012 release) at the same store. I know, not bourbon - sue me :)

24 is really really low. Must have been a leaking barrel or something other damage? Even a short barrel at less than 60 bottles is more than twice the yield of this barrel. I was just imagining 24 bottles' worth of bourbon in a barrel...that thing would have to be pretty much empty...

While they certainly might have been sharing a barrel, I would disagree that there is 'no way that a barrel only yield 24 bottles'. I have seen more than one "very short" barrels (typically 8 yrs +) where the yield winds up being under 60 bottles. It does happen, albeit not very often (thankfully for us!)

I took a gamble on a WT101/8yr decanter from 1984. Overpaid (although honestly not sure what the retail was originally for these decanters?) but it felt pretty full - and the cap/head was firmly attached (not even needing the tacky scotch tape you see on some!) with the tax stamp unbroken. I was ecstatic to find it was full - with no discernible loss! The cork promptly broke, but was firmly sealed - and after straining out the pieces it filled up an empty AAA bottle about as full as it gets! Looking forward to tasting tonight!

Also picked up another Lot 40 (pre-2012 release) at the same store. I know, not bourbon - sue me :)

Elijah Craig barrel proof. 5th release I believe. 134.8 proof. I am a little torn though because when I asked if my usual guy was working he had gone for the day. I told another guy my friend had been in here and bought something. He described my friend to me. I meant he was in last week, but the worker says he was just in here and bought a bottle from him of some thing 4 roses. He went on to say it was something crazy hard to get and we only got a few bottles. He walked over and checked the box to find out...oh man we must have already sold them all. At least I got my ECBP today though as a consolation.

Edited by Cards fan

Thanks to a friend, got four each of W10 KBF selection and MMCS and some other specials. :)

Popped open the W10 and had a first pour and this is excellent! I like this as much as ECBP and drink similarly!

In comparison, the only W10 I bought was a blind purchase and from west coast, wasn't good.

post-2364-14489821436241_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigerlam92

24 is really really low. Must have been a leaking barrel or something other damage? Even a short barrel at less than 60 bottles is more than twice the yield of this barrel. I was just imagining 24 bottles' worth of bourbon in a barrel...that thing would have to be pretty much empty...

The original post that you responded to speculated that it was a leak in the barrel.

While traveling in TX, picked up a Weller 12 and a store selection FR OBSF. Not bourbon, but also picked up a bottle of Stranahans. It's a heavy suitcase, but worth the hassle of checked baggage.

Picked up the following today:

1) FR LE 2014

2) Private Selection FR OBSF 126 proof

Makes me feel much better about passing on EC 23 yesterday. Can't believe I found the FR LE since all my stores have told me good luck in finding it.

Thanks to a fellow SBer, I've finally got another bottle of standard ETL.

Of course, I'll be out again very very soon....

Picked up the following today:

1) FR LE 2014

2) Private Selection FR OBSF 126 proof

Makes me feel much better about passing on EC 23 yesterday. Can't believe I found the FR LE since all my stores have told me good luck in finding it.

Spec's? I bought the OBSF at the store on DeZavala. Did they have the LE?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!