Maker's Mark Cask Strength

joboyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't seen any in Indy but, if I found one for $35 or less, I would walk out with it without much thought. I would think about if it was slightly more.

Binny's reduced the price from $49 to $34 because they got a second wave of deliveries and it was sitting on the shelves at half a bill. Picked another one up.

I finally got around to trying this and it is not a favorite. To me it was way to sweet. Tasted like someone slipped a couple tablespoons of sugar in my bourbon when I wasn't looking. ;)

Closer to sanity but that's still about $70 for 750. If it were more special, say 8 years old or so, maybe, but the regular stuff at just a higher proof isn't tempting.

I did a blind SBS last night with MMCS and a recent bottling of OWA. The MMCS beat it easliy in every category. Better appearance, nose, texture, taste, and finish. And I love me some OWA, so I was a little suprised that MMCS beat it so easily. With that being said I'm not sure it's worth $35 for a 375ml. OWA costs $22 for a 750 around here, so I could get 3 750s of OWA and a 6 pack for the price of 750ml of MMCS. I'm happy to have a bottle, but it probably won't be a regular on my shelf because of the price. However - if they aged it for another two years it would absolutely be worth it, and would probably be a top 5 choice for me.

Finally opened mine, really enjoyed the first pour. Had a nice old rick house component to it balancing out the sweetness. Looking forward to additional pours.

I like the cask strength version better than the regular, but it still tastes too young. I'm not planning on picking up another, especially considering the exorbitant price.

Passed in this the other day at BevMo. Reasoning was the same as several others on this thread: it's just regular makers uncut, and frankly regular Makers isn't all that special. They should be altering more than just the proof at that price point.

Time to admit I was wrongfully quick to judge this one. Picked up a 14-02 bottle at a much more reasonable $35 the other day. With a fair bit of water and 10-15 minutes of air, this is a lot more complex than the pour I had the week after KBF and worth the price of admission.

Passed in this the other day at BevMo. Reasoning was the same as several others on this thread: it's just regular makers uncut, and frankly regular Makers isn't all that special. They should be altering more than just the proof at that price point.

Is that any different from EC12 vs. ECBP? They are very different products. I really like MMCS and it's a different experience than MM.

Is that any different from EC12 vs. ECBP? They are very different products. I really like MMCS and it's a different experience than MM.

I would agree with this. They are different experiences to me and I like MMCS much better than the standard offering.

That's a fair point. But ECBP is priced lower (providing you're not being gouged).

Yes and no. ECBP wasn't two to three times as much as EC12 or $80 for a 750 when it first out (I realize in some places it is now but that wasn't coming from HH). Oh, and its an age stated 12yo whiskey!

It does really come down to what you like best. If you aren't a MM fan it is hard to justify getting the MMCS at such a premium even at the (slightly) lower cost it seems to be now outside of the distillery.

Of course one might say the same thing about barrel proof Baby Saz, otherwise known as Handy...

My few experiences with MMCS was that it didn't have the intensity I associate with "cask strength". ECBP and THH, to me, have a flavor intensity or density that makes them different than EC12 or Baby Saz. They're also all a lot higher proof than MMCS, which is a big part of it. I think if they left some barrels of Makers at the top of the rick house for 7 years and then bottled them at cask strength, it would fall more in line with my expectations.

End the barrel rotation maddness Makers! (which you'd think would save them a boat-load of dough, no?)

Yes and no. ECBP wasn't two to three times as much as EC12 or $80 for a 750 when it first out (I realize in some places it is now but that wasn't coming from HH). Oh, and its an age stated 12yo whiskey!

It does really come down to what you like best. If you aren't a MM fan it is hard to justify getting the MMCS at such a premium even at the (slightly) lower cost it seems to be now outside of the distillery.

Of course one might say the same thing about barrel proof Baby Saz, otherwise known as Handy...

Maybe with the new capacity they can begin to reduce the barrel rotations, I suppose needed to keep everything relatively homogenous, and begin to enjoy some of the diversity and hoped-for brand extensions it would naturally create? One can hope ...

I'm going to be heading down to MM in a couple of weeks. My Ambassador barrel has finally come of age! Gonna get a bottle from my barrel, and grab a few more MMCS's.

Cheers! Joe

Just snagged one from Binnys for $34.99....haven't tried it yet but my wife did approve of the purchase because "the bottle is cute"

Just snagged one from Binnys for $34.99....haven't tried it yet but my wife did approve of the purchase because "the bottle is cute"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.