Btac 2014

KyleCBreese
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone seen a worse price yet? That's a bill or two above what I've seen at (legal) auction, even. I don't really pay attention to the secondary (black) market, so I don't know if that's what folks consider to be a "fair" price nowadays.

Has anyone seen a worse price yet? That's a bill or two above what I've seen at (legal) auction, even. I don't really pay attention to the secondary (black) market, so I don't know if that's what folks consider to be a "fair" price nowadays.

Quite a bit more than what I've seen "elsewhere", but my take is always that value is in the eyes of the beholder. I'd never give anyone $200 for a PVW 20 but I know people who would stab their neighbor for the chance to pick one up at double that price. Thankfully, my neighbors aren't in that bucket :D

You're completely right not to pay attention. It's not worth it.
I certainly agree, since I paid MSRP for my bottle of GTS this year. 15 miles away from this store, in point of fact.

Man, I was faked out by a merchant. We were talking about various bourbons and the specifications for bourbon, and then he hits me with, 'Hey, we've got some special bottles from Buffalo Trace you might be interested in. Come and take a look.' Bam! I think I'm gonna get offered a BTAC selection, but he shows me an experimental bottle and a single oak - I was bummed and I shoulda known better than to get my hopes up.

I just picked up my very first GTS at MSRP[emoji106]

Hoping I can convince the manager to let me pick up an ER17 as well.

This year's ER17 seems woodier than recent past, more like from years ago as I remember. Compared it back to back to a 2011 and a 2012 while watching Lisa Ling documentary on ayahuasca. 2011 more refined and probably the best for most palates, 2012 great with more "grass" but to my taste that day I preferred bolder 2014. But then I like the stronger ones. I dug through boxes for older ER17 with no luck. Maybe try it to older GTS another day. How's 2014 GTS comparing to past?

I have no idea what is going on in Ohio with this. I did put my email in for an online lottery of one bottle.

Without getting into details, I just stumbled on a bottle of BTAC Stagg 2014. I've never purchased any of the BTAC expressions before, and I normally don't prefer very high proof whiskey. This one comes in at a whopping 138.1, which to me is just plain insane. Obviously I will need to cut this one with some water. I'm just curious if anyone out there has sampled this one, and if so, I would love to know what I'm in for. Cheers!

Without getting into details, I just stumbled on a bottle of BTAC Stagg 2014. I've never purchased any of the BTAC expressions before, and I normally don't prefer very high proof whiskey. This one comes in at a whopping 138.1, which to me is just plain insane. Obviously I will need to cut this one with some water. I'm just curious if anyone out there has sampled this one, and if so, I would love to know what I'm in for. Cheers!

You're in for a big, bold, kick-you-in-the-face-and-you'll-like-it, maybe-I-should-be-in-Fight-Club-because-this-makes-me-feel-like-a-man, pure bourbon as it oughta be experience. Cut it with a small cube or a splash of water if you like, no one here will complain if you do, but I recommend letting its brashness shine through.

There are barrel proofers, and then there is GTS. Cut it, dilute it, whatever you want. Just don't take a swig--it will hurt. To get the full impact of GTS though, give very small sips a shot, and just try to savor it. Stress, very small sips. It will still hit with a wallop, but you'll hopefully see what the fuss is about.

Was this a liquor store find? did they finally hit CA.

And on Topic, GTS is great stuff. When I had an open bottle, I would usually take my first sip straight, then cut it to about 100 proof.

There were allocation numbers somewhere right? Seems like Stagg has been the easiest to get. I just got my first BTAC bottle ever, Stagg for $79 at VA ABC. Along with PVW 20 and ORVW 10, it's been a good week! :)

I have not seen these in stores (which is no surprise even for the ones I go to, and I don't really hunt). While at lunch yesterday, I saw a bottle of the GTS behind the bar (which also was no surprise since the place has lots of basic BT offerings; the GTS was the only bottle I'd have bothered to try - the rest are readily available everywhere). Had a pour (although I'm embarrassed to tell you what I paid) instead of ordering a beer like I was going to. Nice little after burn on the first sip, just enough to remind me of the higher than usual (100 is my fave) proof. A hint of cinnamon and candy apple. The real surprise was the finish - a good three to five minutes after the taste, I STILL got a nice warm chocolate, caramel, leather (in a good way) flavor with a comforting mouth coating. Didn't want to finish my lamb burger as it would disrupt the taste. Good news was, I saved the last taste for dessert so after the lamb disappeared, I sat back and . . .

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Anyone see the ordering email from Bevmo for WA state? I'm still waiting on mine many weeks after receiving the original "top 1%" email. And now I've received another "top 1%" email from them about ordering Winkle, but again it's a "wait for the ordering email" situation.

Anyone see the ordering email from Bevmo for WA state? I'm still waiting on mine many weeks after receiving the original "top 1%" email. And now I've received another "top 1%" email from them about ordering Winkle, but again it's a "wait for the ordering email" situation.

I'm not in the top 1% so I haven't received any email.

I'm not in the top 1% so I haven't received any email.

Funny part is neither am I, I don't shop that much there. What I have done is buy multiple bottles of ECBP and several GTS 2013's, all of which I found on the shelf in the last year. After talking with the folks at the store, it sounds like they are targeting the shoppers who buy the premium spirits. I'm thinking that must be the case, I really don't spend all that much at the store.

Funny part is neither am I, I don't shop that much there. What I have done is buy multiple bottles of ECBP and several GTS 2013's, all of which I found on the shelf in the last year. After talking with the folks at the store, it sounds like they are targeting the shoppers who buy the premium spirits. I'm thinking that must be the case, I really don't spend all that much at the store.

Well that's odd. I've purchased multiple ECBP's, Booker's 25th, and numerous other higher end bottles from them as well. Weird system they have for sure.

Got a call from a local store today offering me either a bottle of THH Rye or ER17.

I thought it over for about ten seconds and went with the Rye.

Got a call from a local store today offering me either a bottle of THH Rye or ER17.

I know some critics have panned it this year, but I had a couple pours from a friend's bottle and really enjoyed it. I thought it needed a good bit of water to tone the heat down, but I rarely drink barrel proof bourbons and ryes neat anyway.

I have had no luck finding any BTAC in San Antonio, but I know its here. Got the run around today as the stores inventory shows they have 3 bottles but couldn't find them. I was told they were either damaged or stolen. Not sure what to believe. It's been pretty frustrating.

I know some critics have panned it this year, but I had a couple pours from a friend's bottle and really enjoyed it. I thought it needed a good bit of water to tone the heat down, but I rarely drink barrel proof bourbons and ryes neat anyway.

Yeah, I know it hasn't been the most highly reviewed this year, but I have read some good reviews on it. Glad to hear you liked it. I figured I might get another shot at the ER17 next year.

The tasting notes BT released on it sounded like it'd be in my wheelhouse.

I would have gone with the ER 17 simply because of allocation. I think there were only around 3,200 bottles of ER and it's actually 19 years (2 of it swimming in a steal tank), but if THH is your preferred, then go for it. It is definitely good too, and the barrel proof is a bonus.

I would have gone with the ER 17 simply because of allocation. I think there were only around 3,200 bottles of ER and it's actually 19 years (2 of it swimming in a steal tank), but if THH is your preferred, then go for it. It is definitely good too, and the barrel proof is a bonus.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.