Btac 2014

KyleCBreese
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm not sure if my brother in GA is trying to fool me and make this a xmas present for me, but he said he missed out on GTS and WLW on Wednesday. Does that sound right to what others are seeing?

That is about when it started showing up. These days much of it seems to go to on premises accounts and very little dribbles out to the stores, even the big ones. I have had a bit of luck getting some at or near MSRP but I haven't seen it on a shelf anywhere close to retail in a while with the possible exception of Handy and even that is getting to be rare.

That is about when it started showing up. These days much of it seems to go to on premises accounts and very little dribbles out to the stores, even the big ones. I have had a bit of luck getting some at or near MSRP but I haven't seen it on a shelf anywhere close to retail in a while with the possible exception of Handy and even that is getting to be rare.

Weller was out the week before last. Stagg, Handy and Saz was out the beginning of last week. Have not seen or heard a peep about ER17. As noted earlier, in GA these are handled by 3 different distributors, so they trickle out slowly. None I saw or bought were on the shelf. I can confirm from 1 liquor store owner, people were following the trucks and stood around over an hour for the truck to get unloaded and the order to get put in the system.

Weller was out the week before last. Stagg, Handy and Saz was out the beginning of last week. Have not seen or heard a peep about ER17. As noted earlier, in GA these are handled by 3 different distributors, so they trickle out slowly. None I saw or bought were on the shelf. I can confirm from 1 liquor store owner, people were following the trucks and stood around over an hour for the truck to get unloaded and the order to get put in the system.

Because of this exact reason, a d-bag who never stepped foot in the store beat me to a THH...the only one received.

Would love to have some but no how no way am I following trucks around or standing in line to get a bottle.

Not going to happen.

Would love to have some but no how no way am I following trucks around or standing in line to get a bottle.

Not going to happen.

Wow that is crazy! Yea I'm not staking out the distributor and following them around town. I guess we'll get a bottle if they have car trouble.

Then there are asshats like whoever this guy is (from NC): http://i.imgur.com/PtSzupl.png

9 x THH

4 x SAZ18

4 x WLW

6 x ER17

16 x GTS

3 x PHC8

A picture like that implies that those are all 2014 releases. However, it could also be a bunker picture with multiple years being represented, which I find no issue. Before we assign the wrong kind of hat to the anonymous photographer, that would be nice to know.

If they are all 2014, then I tend to agree that we're looking at a flipper's take, and an impressive one at that, which likely left real enthusiasts/drinkers with a big fat doughnut wherever this person is located. A haul like that would be very hard to accomplish unless the liquor store(s) have no policy for allocation or bottle limits.

This would not likely happen in the Chicago area because I don't know of any store that would allow one person to buy all of that at once. Binny's for example, has a 1 bottle per customer/per store policy - and that's if you're lucky enough to figure out that it was delivered on a particular day. There are a lot of Binny's, but driving to 5 or more different stores in one day (to get the whole set) prior to them selling out, in mid-afternoon traffic, is near impossible. Only if you had an army of volunteer straw purchasers on call, that could leave work without notice, would this even be possible around Chicago. All of the other smaller stores, at least where I'm located, that receive BTAC will not generally sell to strangers - the few bottles they get are reserved for their good customers that have established relationships with the store owner or have some other lottery/allocation scheme in place.

A good question for those here at SB is if a store got an allocation like the one pictured, allowed unlimited purchases, and you had the disposable funds available, how much BTAC would you buy? Would you be a shelf-clearer or exhibit some restraint and leave bottles on the shelf for others to buy?

A picture like that implies that those are all 2014 releases. However, it could also be a bunker picture with multiple years being represented, which I find no issue. Before we assign the wrong kind of hat to the anonymous photographer, that would be nice to know.

If they are all 2014, then I tend to agree that we're looking at a flipper's take, and an impressive one at that, which likely left real enthusiasts/drinkers with a big fat doughnut wherever this person is located. A haul like that would be very hard to accomplish unless the liquor store(s) have no policy for allocation or bottle limits.

This would not likely happen in the Chicago area because I don't know of any store that would allow one person to buy all of that at once. Binny's for example, has a 1 bottle per customer/per store policy - and that's if you're lucky enough to figure out that it was delivered on a particular day. There are a lot of Binny's, but driving to 5 or more different stores in one day (to get the whole set) prior to them selling out, in mid-afternoon traffic, is near impossible. Only if you had an army of volunteer straw purchasers on call, that could leave work without notice, would this even be possible around Chicago. All of the other smaller stores, at least where I'm located, that receive BTAC will not generally sell to strangers - the few bottles they get are reserved for their good customers that have established relationships with the store owner or have some other lottery/allocation scheme in place.

A good question for those here at SB is if a store got an allocation like the one pictured, allowed unlimited purchases, and you had the disposable funds available, how much BTAC would you buy? Would you be a shelf-clearer or exhibit some restraint and leave bottles on the shelf for others to buy?

Two of each. One for now, one for the bunker. Unless I was picking up for a fellow SBer.

I don't think I could justify the costs of cleaning out the shelves since that would be about $3000.

I'd buy all the Weller and Saz 18 they have since I have had such little luck finding them elsewhere and would assume I need to stock up for the future.

Followed by a case of the Stagg and a bottle each of the other two, I'd say.

So he is an asshole. Understood.

From the Reddit:

Family_Gardener[S] 0 points 17 hours ago

One thing you can count on is butthurt in this subreddit. Bring on the downvotes, boys!!!

That said, I'll give you a little info to chew on as you fire up the torches and pitchforks:

1. NC is a state controlled distro, meaning each county puts in requests at the state level. They get allocations based on county size but also requests.

2. These were procured over a handful of counties, all with lists that I've been on for years now and spend plenty of money with. That said, BTAC doesn't get the press that Pappy gets, so some gets left unrequested. Moreover, I got less than half at all but one of these counties.

3. 1/3 of this is going to friends, family, and trading partners

4. The rest is being consumed by me and some friends at tastings and yes - gasp! - flipped. Gotta get VWFRR somehow…

Now that's out of the way, if you feel the need to downvote and be butthurt then go for it. Who am I to judge? I wish I could take 100 downvotes from each and every one of you that feels inclined to give one.

If you are in NC and can't find any, sounds like this is your guy. If there is one person doing this and posting photos, surely there are more. I think I will go enjoy something inexpensive and relatively unpopular.

Other than the BevMo lottery, has anyone picked up this year's BTAC from a retailer in California yet?

My impression is that liquor stores in Cali have not actually received the bottles yet, but I am not entirely sure.

Other than the BevMo lottery, has anyone picked up this year's BTAC from a retailer in California yet?

My impression is that liquor stores in Cali have not actually received the bottles yet, but I am not entirely sure.

Havent seen it yet. One store said possibly this week or early next week

Total wine in CA got theirs a couple weeks back. I don't know of any other store that has gotten it yet though. I keep hearing next week or two.

From the Reddit:

If you are in NC and can't find any, sounds like this is your guy. If there is one person doing this and posting photos, surely there are more. I think I will go enjoy something inexpensive and relatively unpopular.

Yeah just moved to Asheville in July and am guessing this is why I didn't get any this year. I am all for getting as much as you can if you are going to drink and or give to others, but that is just beyond stupidity. Home much can one person need and or have! Not to say I wouldn't like a case of each, but come on, who needs 16 bottles of GTS! Maybe I can get to a few ABC's before him next year.

Yeah just moved to Asheville in July and am guessing this is why I didn't get any this year. I am all for getting as much as you can if you are going to drink and or give to others, but that is just beyond stupidity. Home much can one person need and or have! Not to say I wouldn't like a case of each, but come on, who needs 16 bottles of GTS! Maybe I can get to a few ABC's before him next year.

I should clarify, I was lucky enough to find some bottles of BTAC this year, but they were all with contacts back in Kentucky. I have been unable to find any in NC. I am guessing that since I won't be in KY too much over the next year, those contacts might not be able to come through for me next year for BTAC. Sorry for any confusion this might have caused.

Still looking in NC myself. Based on what I'm being told it hasn't hit the central or Western part of the state yet. No one at the stores has any idea of when. Most don't even know what I'm talking about...

Some guys get all the girls. Some guys get all the BTAC and Pappy.

Every time I want to get upset about BTAC, I remind myself - I've got a great girl, and I foresee that there will always be great whiskey in our bunker.

This BTAC gobbling behavior, too, shall pass. Let us nose a 4R barrel selection and breathe deeply. The hot commodity will not (and can not) remain bourbon forever.

Look after your non-gouging small store, and bask in the loyalty buzz.

Ommmm.

Oh, and never support the flipping market by buying from them. That's pretty important, too.

Look after your non-gouging small store, and bask in the loyalty buzz.

This times a thousand.

I may not have snagged 16 bottles of Stagg. But I also didn't chase any trucks or drive to multiple counties.

My local store has hooked me up with every limited release in the past year - including a bottle of Stagg and an ER17 from the BTAC, and in a week or two, whichever Pappy bottle I request.

I'm happy with the relationship I have with my non-gouging local shop.

Oh, and never support the flipping market by buying from them. That's pretty important, too.

The key to so many "limited edition" things in life. Don't let emotion get in the way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.