Btac 2014

KyleCBreese
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have no idea if they're on a different schedule from the rest of Maryland, but the major stores already got their BTAC for the year. It would be interesting to discover that different stores in the same county got it month(s) apart.

Last BTAC season is when we spoke about this. He didn't get any this year. Also checked my VA ABC stores today and nothing has shown up in my places in VA yet.

In years past the NH state liquor store showed their inventory online, but last year they didn't. You just have to hunt the NH ABC stores. It sucks.

I got a 2014 GTS as a wedding gift from my wife. That stuff is incredible; I can't wait to try the Weller and the ER17...

Of all of them, ER 17 is the one that interests me least. I have last year's ER 17, and think it's good, but the standard ER is also good, and frankly the extra age on ER 17 doesn't amount to a big improvement. That's probably the only BTAC I would pass on.

One of the larger chains in Indiana is raffling a couple of bottles of 2014 GTS as part of a special promotion tomorrow.

Today I picked up a bottle of Thomas H. Handy that I "won" the right to buy previously. I'll actually be passing that one on to a friend, though. Considering how nanners things have been with limited edition American whiskies this year, I'm pretty satisfied with obtaining 3 out of 5 of the 2014 release. At this point, only Sazerac 18 has completely eluded me. I'd like to at least try a glass of it before BT starts releasing their own distillate as Saz 18. Looks like Jack Rose is my best option at this point.

Today I picked up a bottle of Thomas H. Handy that I "won" the right to buy previously. I'll actually be passing that one on to a friend, though. Considering how nanners things have been with limited edition American whiskies this year, I'm pretty satisfied with obtaining 3 out of 5 of the 2014 release. At this point, only Sazerac 18 has completely eluded me. I'd like to at least try a glass of it before BT starts releasing their own distillate as Saz 18. Looks like Jack Rose is my best option at this point.

Are you in Montgomery County? I'm picking up my bottle of THH this weekend. I wish I had "won" the GTS, though. <sigh>

Are you in Montgomery County? I'm picking up my bottle of THH this weekend. I wish I had "won" the GTS, though. <sigh>
Yeah, this was from the Montgomery County thing.

Of all of them, ER 17 is the one that interests me least. I have last year's ER 17, and think it's good, but the standard ER is also good, and frankly the extra age on ER 17 doesn't amount to a big improvement. That's probably the only BTAC I would pass on.

It's getting good reviews. Also, the 2012 (possibly 13) ER17 is one of the best bourbons I've ever had!

I hear this year's WLW is the creme de la creme of the 2014 BTAC, however. Only about 2000 bottles also, so if you find it, grab it!!

This should surprise us, it made me scratch my head. I received a bottle of GTS this week. It was a gift from my wife. Having read all of the information sheets I looked at the bottle and realized right away that at 128.2 proof, it was last years version. In a bourbon crazed world where we have lotteries, waiting lists and people searching high and low going to great lengths to score anything BTAC, this bottle survived a year. Moral of this story? If the liquor store holds it back, it doesn't matter how hard we search. I don't know and don't care if it was an accident or intentional.

I let some people at the Trace know about this, they found it pretty funny also.

Moral of this story? If the liquor store holds it back, it doesn't matter how hard we search.
Edited by Old Dusty

One of my local shop's spirits buyer rarely puts out any allocated releases. He randomly releases a few bottles or offers them to his better customers so older bottles definitely can be found. Your wife should have bought a lottery ticket the same day!

This should surprise us, it made me scratch my head. I received a bottle of GTS this week. It was a gift from my wife. Having read all of the information sheets I looked at the bottle and realized right away that at 128.2 proof, it was last years version. In a bourbon crazed world where we have lotteries, waiting lists and people searching high and low going to great lengths to score anything BTAC, this bottle survived a year. Moral of this story? If the liquor store holds it back, it doesn't matter how hard we search. I don't know and don't care if it was an accident or intentional.

I let some people at the Trace know about this, they found it pretty funny also.

It happens. They might be holding it back for a good customer and he/she never shows. It gets uncovered when the boss decides to clean out the office.

It doesn't happen with bourbon at our store but we have found some awesome vintage bottles of wine.

If I understand it correctly in GA, 3 different distributors handle the BTAC. 1 handles WLW, 1 handles ER17, and one handle GTS, Saz, and Handy. That's why they never seem to show up at the same time here.

Well then that makes perfect sense....wait, what? Since when are distribution deals done by product rather than producer? Seems really confusing and odd. Normally the three tier system is so straightforward and transparent.....:rolleyes:

I believe somebody told me that in some cases it has to do with the product/brand's history. Makes sense for Weller since BT has had it since 1999 (and ER since 1989?), so maybe the GA distributor had exclusive rights prior to that and was able to retain them? But yeah, definitely :rolleyes:

If I understand it correctly in GA, 3 different distributors handle the BTAC. 1 handles WLW, 1 handles ER17, and one handle GTS, Saz, and Handy. That's why they never seem to show up at the same time here.

Interesting. I knew WLW was a different distributor for whatever bizarre reason amongst the many, many bizarre and idiotic liquor policies in this state but was not aware ER17 was split out separately as well.

Interesting. I knew WLW was a different distributor for whatever bizarre reason amongst the many, many bizarre and idiotic liquor policies in this state but was not aware ER17 was split out separately as well.

I was discussing that with Jat on Friday. I didn't realize ER17 was split out as well, but that is how it was explained to me.

If the system made sense to us, it would also make sense to the flippers.

I think the insanity is the best chance we have of getting to a few before they do, so in a way I'm grateful things are so nutty.

I'm not sure if my brother in GA is trying to fool me and make this a xmas present for me, but he said he missed out on GTS and WLW on Wednesday. Does that sound right to what others are seeing?

I'm not sure if my brother in GA is trying to fool me and make this a xmas present for me, but he said he missed out on GTS and WLW on Wednesday. Does that sound right to what others are seeing?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.