What bourbon are you drinking? Fall 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Attention! Cross posting alert. For a couple of you members that seem to like to cross post a lot, go back to your regular program and pay no attention.

Update! I vatted a 1:1 sample of MM and MMCS. I took it to a regular Monday night tasting (scotch this week) that I attended with Vosgar and a couple of other friends. The general consensus was that it was pretty darned good. I think MM may have missed the boat on this one. Maybe they should have tried a 101 proof version of MM before coming out with a cask strength. :skep:

On a side note here, Gary brought along a sample too. Like me, just in case the scotch wasn't particularly good. Anyway, he brought a nice sample of a PS of Knob Creek 120 proof. All I can say is, dayummmm! If all Beam stuff tasted as good as this………………. No funky or "off" Beam yeasty flavor at all. It was slightly sweet, chewy, very flavorful, and totally unique. Sure didn't figure it for a Beam product. Totally surprised me in a very delightful way.

Joe

First bottle of Booker's in a good long time. Better than I remember, and it helps I got it for cheaper than VA's $59 MSRP.

Enjoying a nice pour of 4RSmB LE with the Oregon vs Arizona game. Here's hoping that this game is a little more competitive than the earlier NFL game. :22:

Bookers. regular 'ol 2013-7. such a rich, deep, flavorful bourbon, and its a fantastic sipper!

post-10727-14489821514579_thumb.jpg

Eagle Rare 101........the final pour. Myself and a co-worker have been working on this bottle for a while and finished it off tonight. Such a great bourbon. Such a pity it's discontinued. I shall miss it.

(Sorry for the sideways photo. Not sure why that happened or how to fix it.)

post-10727-14489821514579_thumb.jpg

VSOF nice as always

JB 7 yr low proof but flavorful

JB EA last of the night but didn't pick up much difference in the JB's

Had EHTBP and '14 GTS watching the boys in blue win again!!

After 29 years, we're having a blast in KC.

Had EHTBP and '14 GTS watching the boys in blue win again!!

After 29 years, we're having a blast in KC.

.and you deserve it and you are welcome for Big Game James.......

Been offline for a few days, so this is from last Saturday. Had a taste of the new PHC Wheat Whiskey, I got red hots and a freshly baked cake-hot sugar thing, the jury is still out for me. Then I had a nice pour of ER101 NOLA, very fruity, cereal - like, fruity pebbles. Finished with PHC10 yr wheated, magnificent bourbon, cinnamon, brown sugar, some cherry.

Last night, a nice bedtime pour of Gallenstein OWA, delicious.

Got the weekend off. Which is rare in the world of retail. So starting off with some good ol' BT over ice. Such a solid bourbon for the money.

Catskill Distilling Company Most Righteous Bourbon or CDC MRB. Look forward to it with a little more age.

Ted

Just poured my glass and have to say it's one of the best nosing whiskey's in the land. I usually let it rest for 30 minutes or so before I drink, and this stuff absolutely fills the room up with it's delightful bouquet!

I am not sure why but I always want to work on thinning the herd. Opened a bottle of Larceny a few weeks ago. My thinking was that it will soon be available in Indiana so it will be easier to replace than in the past. The problem is I am enjoying it so much that I am already looking to replace it. I can't thin the herd when I want to replace everything I like. :lol:

The nose is great but I find SB blend or weller 12 to be...deeper and more complex still. Palate kills it for me, more flavors than I can handle, great sipper without water. Water dulls the full experience a bit for me.

I dunno'. It's definitely a manly pour straight. A large ice cube in it for 30 seconds or so opens it up quite a bit for me. I'm enjoying some right now just that way. Definitely tasting the Cognac tonight.

As the ice melts, the nose definitely suffers, but the palate is still powerful.

October 3rd has multiple special meanings for me, so I opened my first bottle of HHSS #2. It's really nice, though it needed some water to get it started. Still a bit closed off, but my initial impression is of oak spices with an underlying sweetness and a velvety mouthfeel. Not getting much on the nose yet. Something special.

Facimus mala in malis. In memoriam.

I'm watching the Royals-Angels game accompanied by a pour of BT. I will probably follow it with a pour of OGDBiB. Since I seriously started to refine my taste in bourbon, I've found the ones I didn't care for that much a decade ago, I really enjoy now, such as OGDBiB. I really like how its high-rye character plays against my corny and oaky go-to bourbons of mine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.