What bourbon are you drinking? Spring 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

How about a wonderful $11 bourbon? Virgin 7yr 101 is that. Drizzled over a heaping pile of crushed ice on another steamy evening here, Down South. Sipped......nah, Slurped :) up while again sittin' out back listening to the Braves on the radio.

I have never seen Virgin Bourbon. But, with the name Virgin, I guess the first time you have it must be memorable. I wonder if it is similar to OE 7/101?

I have never seen Virgin Bourbon. But, with the name Virgin, I guess the first time you have it must be memorable. I wonder if it is similar to OE 7/101?

Heehee. Nice, Broo. :). Over the years and bottles of both that I have enjoyed, there have been more similarities than differences. I have done SBS's where I could not tell the difference. At other times, I think that one or the other has more...of something. (Sorry, but I can't say more, because I can't put it onto words). In general, though it's difficult to talk in absolutes with NDP bourbon like Ezra, I think these whiskies come from the same Mother.

Oh Yeah, could be the same, both are ramped up standard Heaven Hill profile though the Virgin is sold at a much better price.

Revisiting my 60:40 PMP I made a tad over 3 weeks ago. I have never had the real thing but this is pretty tasty. I think I will try mixing up a 50:50 to compare this to before it is gone.

Yep, love that 129 proof CEHTBP as well. I have half an open bottle, with one in the bunker fortunately. Still annoyed I left one on the shelf earlier in the year. Haven't seen another one since.

Larceny for me tonight. Such a solid bourbon.

One of my favorites. I had the chance to pick up a second bottle but left in on the shelf. I'm hoping I can track down the next release.

Still working the bottle of Woodford, over some ice tonight.

Drowning sorrows from missing a epic netting of a monster Muskie, off the dock, that was holding on to a 12" inch walleye on a jig. And light tackle.

That's a memory that will live forever. Loving Lac Seul fishing .

B

Finished off a bottle of OE101 tonight that I started on this week. My vacation bottle.

4 days staycation

starting with these

4R 2014 LE smB

ff5e27f4-3ee0-49df-9f19-c972dc532e60_zpsvdkczi3p.jpg

Pappy 23 is signed by Julian

a2409dfc-94f4-4d11-bb75-b97139b0c1ad_zps184cdt5r.jpg

Trying both lines for the first time tonight with 4RYL an WSR. WSR is forgettable. I need to broaden my 4R thirst...gonna pick up a small batch when the yellow is done. work my way up the line, hopefullyf OWA is a hell of a lot better than WSR.

Well I wish I had a staycation! However, a little WLW 125.3 before and with the morning coffee.

Stayed with the OC last night. This stuff definitely has that BT sweetness.

Some GBS 4R OESO, really great. Its the most finicky bourbon I can recall in terms of how much water is the right amount as anything over mutes some of my favorite aspects of this recipe. A couple drops as in 2-3 per 1.5oz. has been just the ticket and once I dialed that in it has been a consistently stellar pour.

Had a good week and enjoying some Jefferson Reserve...still not worth the $ I paid for; probably my last bottle.

Trying both lines for the first time tonight with 4RYL an WSR. WSR is forgettable. I need to broaden my 4R thirst...gonna pick up a small batch when the yellow is done. work my way up the line, hopefullyf OWA is a hell of a lot better than WSR.

I have had both older WSR and newer and I just can't get into it. However, it is probably because I tried both after having had OWA and WL12. I find it too thin and lacking flavor. OWA, on the other hand, is a lot better. I have find the more recent NAS version to be better than the earlier NAS version. I believe you will enjoy the FRSmB more than 4RYL. It is a little spicier and the bump in proof helps.

After several days of Asahi and Kirin beer, shochu and sake, I'm kicking back with a pour of FR 125th. It never disappoints.

I have had both older WSR and newer and I just can't get into it. However, it is probably because I tried both after having had OWA and WL12. I find it too thin and lacking flavor. OWA, on the other hand, is a lot better. I have find the more recent NAS version to be better than the earlier NAS version. I believe you will enjoy the FRSmB more than 4RYL. It is a little spicier and the bump in proof helps.

Have you tried a 1:1 or 3:2 vatting of OWA:WSR? I enjoyed my vatting but I need to do a another 3 way side by side of the OWA, WSR and W12 I have open to remember which of the 3 I truly like the best on their own. IIRC it is the OWA. I am trying to nurse what's left of the W12 as I doubt I will find another until Fall.

Have you tried a 1:1 or 3:2 vatting of OWA:WSR? I enjoyed my vatting but I need to do a another 3 way side by side of the OWA, WSR and W12 I have open to remember which of the 3 I truly like the best on their own. IIRC it is the OWA. I am trying to nurse what's left of the W12 as I doubt I will find another until Fall.

I haven't. I have vatted the SB Blend (OWA/WL12). However, I haven't purchased a WSR in a while. I do have an older paper label bottle I could mix to see how it tastes. I am like you. I try to milk the bottles as long as I can since new bottles are difficult to find.

I had some Blantons at our favorite steakhouse tonight. It's been awhile since I've had that and it tasted nothing like I remember. I picked up so much vanilla that I don't remember, it reminded me of ER10 despite the different mash bills. In fact, I thought of the thread recently about the private single barrel purchase that switched out ER10 with Blantons because the barrel fit the profile more. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, as I do ER10, but it's just always amazing to me how something old can taste so new. Palates are funny that way.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!