Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

BigBoldBully

I cut way back on purchases, having acquired a collection, and got into single barrel buys at a local distillery - I can't drink it fast enough, lol.  Its been nice to gift some nice whiskey to friends.  Also, frustrated with availability, I worked my way thru all the KSB's out there, and found several modest offerings that are nice enough, always available, and modestly priced - in otherwords, they are under the radar. 

Just noticed last week, Virgin Bourbon is not on my shelves anymore?  Any news?  It wasn't my go-to, but always assuring when I went in the store, and there were many dozens of fifths on the shelves at my ankles.  

6 hours ago, musekatcher said:

Virgin Bourbon is not on my shelves anymore? 

In the world of bourbon, virgins don't last long.

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, musekatcher said:

I cut way back on purchases, having acquired a collection, and got into single barrel buys at a local distillery - I can't drink it fast enough, lol.  Its been nice to gift some nice whiskey to friends.  Also, frustrated with availability, I worked my way thru all the KSB's out there, and found several modest offerings that are nice enough, always available, and modestly priced - in otherwords, they are under the radar. 

Just noticed last week, Virgin Bourbon is not on my shelves anymore?  Any news?  It wasn't my go-to, but always assuring when I went in the store, and there were many dozens of fifths on the shelves at my ankles.  

The age statement was dropped a couple months back. Perhaps you’re seeing the transition to NAS. It will be back but as a potentially younger and possibly more expensive virgin.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, flahute said:

Surely this is the sign we’ve reached the peak. 

7F1AC1F6-3507-47A6-B208-31BC3BC22E09.jpeg

Without question someone will walk into that TW looking for a $150 gift bottle and snag that without doing any research. 4 year old bourbon from an unknown distillery, no thanks. 

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Without question someone will walk into that TW looking for a $150 gift bottle and snag that without doing any research. 4 year old bourbon from an unknown distillery, no thanks. 

You know they will!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, flahute said:

This is awesome.

If the rum was any indication, we'll be buying dusties of these ironically for 20 bucks in 10yrs.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

This is awesome.

If the rum was any indication, we'll be buying dusties of these ironically for 20 bucks in 10yrs.

I am all in for dusties of this at $20. I will personally deliver them to you in London. But only if we go to Drummond St. for Indian food.

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Wellllll, it does seem to be a "reach" . . . .  ?

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, PaulO said:

Here's another aspect - major grocery chains have gotten into the liquor business.  They have a lot of inventory too. 

I was in a large grocery store the other day.  I was surprised to see a baker's rack type shelf standing next to the bourbon area.  On that shelf they had: KY Owl $119.99, Yellowstone in a tube $99.99, Yippe-Ki-Yay $79.99, and some other pricey mystery juice. ?

I agree, the big liquor chains have moved toward allocating to their best customers, small independents are jacking up prices on their limited stocks.

I the past month I have found Weller SR for $24 in a grocery store, Blanton's for $60 in a grocery store, ER 10yr for $30, BT for $25 in a Walgreen's and Blanton's in a Walgreens for $65. I found Weller 12 yr in a smaller liquor store for $70, and McKenna 10yr in a big chain for $40.

My best availability and best prices are not in liquor stores lately, at least for the harder to find bourbons.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

But . . . but . . . it's got palm trees on the bottle and they aged it in NEW, CHARRED OAK barrels.  BTW, I found a picture of the first guy to purchase a bottle.

1993583722_TBModel.jpg.aceea1704ad23c93e0f9ba2e8e440f7e.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

But . . . but . . . it's got palm trees on the bottle and they aged it in NEW, CHARRED OAK barrels.  BTW, I found a picture of the first guy to purchase a bottle.

1993583722_TBModel.jpg.aceea1704ad23c93e0f9ba2e8e440f7e.jpg

And, it has The Tommy Bahama name on it!

15 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

They know the name and that's what they're counting on to drive sales.

On 12/11/2019 at 12:11 AM, The Black Tot said:

This is awesome.

At least the Rum they released in the fancy bottle was good stuff sourced from foursquare. The boom is far from over.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, DCFan said:

They know the name and that's what they're counting on to drive sales.

I know lots of quality names but they can’t just be on anything and get my money. Mobil 1 makes good motor oil but if they bottle some bourbon I’ll be passing. 

3 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I know lots of quality names but they can’t just be on anything and get my money. Mobil 1 makes good motor oil but if they bottle some bourbon I’ll be passing. 

I don't know - it might cost more up front, but you're not considering that you only have to drink it every 7000 miles.

• I like it 2

That’s admirable you have such high standards. But for every noble person like yourself there are 99 other spendthrifts.

I heard you can only get a bottle of that with the purchase of a new Vette.

?

• I like it 1

I got an email today for an all corn (Jimmy Red) mashbill bourbon, cast strength, 2yr 8 mo old single barrel for .....$110. I was super intrigued until I saw the price. I sure it will sell out in short order.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

I got an email today for an all corn (Jimmy Red) mashbill bourbon

734163693_IcareJimmy.jpg.0927c03531261b6b8e72b89b1a2e41b0.jpg

• I like it 1

On 12/11/2019 at 1:11 AM, The Black Tot said:

This is awesome.

You've actually tasted the Tommy Bahama rum?  I haven't.  Did it come with a t-shirt?  A camp shirt?  If a camp shirt, I may be interested.B)

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

I got an email today for an all corn (Jimmy Red) mashbill bourbon, cast strength, 2yr 8 mo old single barrel for .....$110. I was super intrigued until I saw the price. I sure it will sell out in short order.

I'm guessing that's $110 for each barrel of it.  That's not a bad price, considering.  EDIT - provided a funnel and some bottles come with it.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

4 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

You've actually tasted the Tommy Bahama rum?  I haven't.  Did it come with a t-shirt?  A camp shirt?  If a camp shirt, I may be interested.B)

I have. Bought it as described above at prices like 20 bucks for a liter or 25 for a 1.75, after it was confirmed that it was Foursquare rum with no additives. 

It wasn't legendary or anything to hunt down, but it was good for what I bought it for (at closeout prices), which was as a cocktail ingredient. These days I'd use RL Seale's 10yr for Barbados rum cocktail demands (it sips well, too).

Never got a shirt with it, but they did have some funny displays if I recall correctly. I think they're still readily available on ebay.

Who knows?  Maybe the TB bourbon above is sourced from a decent distillery - maybe that's why they have to charge so much to cover the margins on it. I couldn't see if it was cask strength. As I say, one would be crazy to buy it at present retail, but it might be a fun drink for 20 bucks, post-apocalypse.

• I like it 2

Hello. My name is Joe. Along with whiskeyrexianervosa, I also have CRS disease. Pardon me if I ask a dumb question, but what boom?  :mellow:

BTW, I have another dumb question. What’s a boom? ?  I always thought it was something on a sailboat. Or maybe something related to sonic...  Sheeeeeesh! 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

What’s a boom? ?  I always thought it was something on a sailboat. Or maybe something related to sonic...  Sheeeeeesh! 

BOOM!!!