Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

BigBoldBully

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

Newbie question what's SO syndrome?

Shiny object.

Shiny object.

And for my dog it's "squirrel outside". [emoji12][emoji6][emoji3] Either way, it's something we are distracted or obsessed by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

^Thanks

It's a phrase concocted by Harry in WashDC in the previous page of this thread.

10 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

And for my dog it's "squirrel outside". emoji12.pngemoji6.pngemoji3.png Either way, it's something we are distracted or obsessed by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Otherwise known as unobtainium we all get obsessed by. :D

5 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Otherwise known as unobtainium we all get obsessed by. :D

Ha ha!  Indeed.  If my dog ever catches the squirrel she barrels out the doggy door for, I'm immediately beginning to drink and sell everything in my bunker.  For that is surely a sign of the coming end of the world...  :lol:

Well, with $1,800.00 RETAIL Pappy, I'd say the boom is nowhere near peaked...

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Ha ha!  Indeed.  If my dog ever catches the squirrel she barrels out the doggy door for, I'm immediately beginning to drink and sell everything in my bunker.  For that is surely a sign of the coming end of the world...  :lol:

Well if we're talking end of the world then guns, ammo and liquor are some of the best bartering tools around. ;)

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Well if we're talking end of the world then guns, ammo and liquor are some of the best bartering tools around. ;)

If the end comes, don't be niave and bring a bottle to a gun fight B)

1 minute ago, jvd99 said:

If the end comes, don't be niave and bring a bottle to a gun fight B)

I'm just following the old boy scout adage of being prepared. ;)

I've been enjoying Barrell Bourbon Batch 11 & ECBP Batch 11 over the last few nights. Both are very good in their own right. ECBP is raved about until someone says it's better than some of the BTAC or the price increases on it. Then people get grouchy & say it's good, but it ain't that good.  And BB11 will never live up to the hype after the so called awards it received, but really is a very solid & unique bourbon. This is a huge negative impact that the boom brought with it. The train keeps rollin!  ChooChooooo!!!

Edited by Louisiana

I'm confused. :wacko: What boom? :lol:

Cheers! Joe

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm confused. :wacko: What boom? :lol:

Cheers! Joe

I like you spirit Joe! :)

Cheers,

Jeff

17 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

I like you spirit Joe! :)

Cheers,

Jeff

Hey, what can I say????? ;)

Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Hey, what can I say????? ;)

Joe

Joe, your liquor store "huh" moment posted earlier about the store that runs off business and recalls customers who were videotaped simply shopping may not be an indicator that the bourbon boom has peaked but moreso an indicator that the spirits market in general is frothy.  What next?  Will retailers expect us to buy tickets to shop at their stores?  The bourbon aisle might become like a backroom peepshow.  You can only see the good stuff if you pay.  And, even if you see it, we still might not sell it to you.

There are some really great retailers out there but a few just make me shake my head.  I wonder between prices and service how they remain in business.  But, then I see all of the beer and flavored vodka walking out the door. 

16 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

LMFAO. THAT's why I have cats.  They just sit in the window and make funny throat noises.

Speaking of funny throat noises, my glass is empty, the dishes are done, and I think it is incumbent upon me to work on depleting my bunker.  I have a chance to shop, unsupervised, tomorrow, so . . .

Back shortly.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I have a chance to shop, unsupervised, tomorrow, so . . .

Back shortly.

I hope your trunk and all the secret compartments can handle the strain!

You may need an extra trash can by the chair.

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Will retailers expect us to buy tickets to shop at their stores?  The bourbon aisle might become like a backroom peepshow.  You can only see the good stuff if you pay.  And, even if you see it, we still might not sell it to you.

There is at least one local store that is already doing that.  They sell $40 tickets to their "release party". For your $40 you get some free food, reduced pricing on pours of LEs at their bar, and a chance to "win" the opportunity to purchase a bottle of whatever they are releasing.  The current one is for CEHT4G, VWFR12, ORVW, and THH.  They only sold 50 tickets to the event and sold out in a couple hours.  Assuming they sold more tickets than they actually have bottles so you aren't necessarily guaranteed to have the opportunity to buy anything but seems like the odds are decent if you actually had a ticket to the event.  From my perspective I'd just be adding $40 to the purchase price of any bottle I won the opportunity to purchase.  I am out of town during the event or I'd have probably bought a ticket.  Would be as good an opportunity as I'm going to get anywhere remotely near me to get any of these bottles at retail.

There is at least one local store that is already doing that.  They sell $40 tickets to their "release party". For your $40 you get some free food, reduced pricing on pours of LEs at their bar, and a chance to "win" the opportunity to purchase a bottle of whatever they are releasing.  The current one is for CEHT4G, VWFR12, ORVW, and THH.  They only sold 50 tickets to the event and sold out in a couple hours.  Assuming they sold more tickets than they actually have bottles so you aren't necessarily guaranteed to have the opportunity to buy anything but seems like the odds are decent if you actually had a ticket to the event.  From my perspective I'd just be adding $40 to the purchase price of any bottle I won the opportunity to purchase.  I am out of town during the event or I'd have probably bought a ticket.  Would be as good an opportunity as I'm going to get anywhere remotely near me to get any of these bottles at retail.

Is that Lukas liquor? I did one if their drawings a few years ago, but I thought the tickets were free.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

For your $40 you get some free food...

Not exactly my definition of "free" food! :huh:

22 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

20 hours ago, flahute said:

Still hasn't posted the score. Think he broke an axle?

On 3/30/2015 at 8:33 PM, The Black Tot said:

Yeah, I don't think we're ever going to be seeing a shortage of basic bottles. The most the bubble seems to have been able to hurt us is to interrupt some mid-shelfers. They were the last to disappear, and will be the first to re-appear.

Many of us remember when Beam ran out of KC a few years back. They made a marketing virtue out of it. Ads claimed that KC was so highly prized that we can't keep up with demand. But don't worry, we'll make more. 

Now, the way Beam keeps up with demand is to go NAS.  There must have been at least some 9YO in the pipeline (i.e., 8YO that would soon be 9YO) but they didn't turn the current shortage into a promotion. Any insights as to why? 

2 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Many of us remember when Beam ran out of KC a few years back. They made a marketing virtue out of it. Ads claimed that KC was so highly prized that we can't keep up with demand. But don't worry, we'll make more. 

Now, the way Beam keeps up with demand is to go NAS.  There must have been at least some 9YO in the pipeline (i.e., 8YO that would soon be 9YO) but they didn't turn the current shortage into a promotion. Any insights as to why? 

what marketer would want to promote that they are giving you less (age) for the same amount of money?

40 minutes ago, Whiskey Dick said:

what marketer would want to promote that they are giving you less (age) for the same amount of money?

The question is, why did they not just wait until there was more 9YO available.

28 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

The question is, why did they not just wait until there was more 9YO available.

There are a few options really:

1. Wait until more 9YO is available. This would involve putting the current stock on allocation, or maintaining current distribution amounts and risk losing customers, as they can't find it. There is no real benefit to the company in this situation, if the market keeps growing, and they will not increase profits. They could get some marketing out of it though "our product is scarce like pappy, it must be as good".

Option 2. would be to eliminate the age statement and release to the customer demand. This will lose some customers but the hit is probably small, and more than compensated for by the growth in the market. Secondly there will be a sales boost for some of the older stock as the shelves are cleared. Also most customers will probably come back somewhat over time. The key here however is that they can essentially track the market growth by introducing younger whiskey into the mix, which means lower up front cost (more volume, less angel's share, lower amount of time as inventory). This increases the margin they receive on each bottle and they get instant higher profits.

Option 3. would be to increase the price. This will also lose some customers, and may not be compensated for as much by market growth, as now they are competing with more price point competition. It could increase profit, but could also lose some, a riskier option. Booker's pursued this approach, and it was a bit of a disaster.

Option 4. Decrease the proof. Maker's tried this and people went nuts.

As for the marketing, previously they chose option 1, as perhaps they weren't convinced the market boom would be maintained. They could then claim their product is premium without risking permanently losing customers. At the moment though, there are a huge amount of options available, and many more products that are considered hard to obtain so they may feel that choosing option 1 this time around would be too high a risk. Option 2 you don't really want to advertise, just try sneak it through as quickly and easily as possible. Option 3 & 4, we've already seen how marketing team's have handled that, not very well.