What Bourbon did you purchase today? / Spring 2015

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Grabbed an EWBIB to try after hearing lots of good things aroud here about it. Also snagged a MM46. I like the wheaters...

I got a 750 of Larceny($29), VOB BIB 750 x2($14) and Baby SAZ ($29.99)

Edited by MDBourbon

A handle of Larceny (currently offering a $20 rebate, so I could hardly not take advantage of that.)

Whiskey Gods shined their favor on me while at some estate/yard sales out of town today ...

Blanton's Gold

Blanton's Straight from the Barrel

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Angel's Envy Cask Strength

F7884447-7C13-4069-B4D5-DC84417BB960_zpsveor7w5k.jpg

Whiskey Gods shined their favor on me while at some estate/yard sales out of town today ...

Blanton's Gold

wow, nice score ..................

EH Taylor Barrel Proof (129). Surprisingly, it was in the high end cage for all to see. The manager said it's been sitting there since January. Still no Cured Oak in TX :/

Bought a bottle of Orphan Barrel Forged Oak and Rhetoric. Hope this are good. It was a bit of a lapse of judgement. Oh well :-)

Blanton's Gold

What was the price on that? I've been hoping it will show up under $50 since I can get the 375s for $29.99, but that may be too optimistic.

The MMCS 750ml was $60

Blanton's Gold

I thought blanton's gold was only sold overseas. How does that work?

Whoever's estate/yard sale that was must have gotten it overseas.

Correct. Gold and straight from the barrel (barrel proof) are only overseas. The guy I bought it from had gotten them at duty free.

I keep having dreams that this sort of thing happens. Then I wake up feeling like crap because it's capitalizing off of a fellow bourbon lovers death. (Deep sigh of shame) The psyche of bourbon head.

I agree. I felt a little guilty getting them there. The son of the deceased was having a "heated discussion" with his wife (son's wife) about why he couldn't take them. She kept saying something about "meetings" and "sponsors" so I assumed they were getting rid of them so the son wouldn't continue with a problem.

I keep having dreams that this sort of thing happens. Then I wake up feeling like crap because it's capitalizing off of a fellow bourbon lovers death. (Deep sigh of shame) The psyche of bourbon head.

It has not happened to me, but I probably would not feel bad so long as I paid a fair price compared to what they cost retail. I sometimes wonder what would happen to my little stash if I suddenly vacate the land of the living, and hope it would not simply get poured out or given to people who had no appreciation for it. Someone buying it at close to what I paid and having the money go to my heirs would be a nice scenario, assuming the transaction is legal.

I agree. I felt a little guilty getting them there. The son of the deceased was having a "heated discussion" with his wife (son's wife) about why he couldn't take them. She kept saying something about "meetings" and "sponsors" so I assumed they were getting rid of them so the son wouldn't continue with a problem.

Can you continue with the story? HOW much? ;)

[i can't understand the guilt, everything in your possession is out of another's]

Edited by MauiSon

Im reposting this now that I can add a picture

I just got back home from vacation yesterday. We somehow managed to stop at just a few liquor stores along the way. I found lots and lots of goodies. I passed on most of them, but did bring a few bottles home. Most were because of prices too good to pass up. Best find was a lone bottle of Weller 12 at a store out in the middle of nowhere. It was only $22.99. Oddest find I passed on was from a store that had 750's of BT for $26.99. Right next to the 750's were handles of BT priced at $33.99. The reason I passed was because I'd already bought a 750 of BT from another store at $21.99.

My vacation haul:

Store Select 1792

Weller 12

BT

Weller SR 1.75

SAOS 7 yr X2 from 2 different store

Store Select FRSB X2

Cheers! Joe

post-3455-14489822180894_thumb.jpg

Im reposting this now that I can add a picture

I just got back home from vacation yesterday. We somehow managed to stop at just a few liquor stores along the way. I found lots and lots of goodies. I passed on most of them, but did bring a few bottles home. Most were because of prices too good to pass up. Best find was a lone bottle of Weller 12 at a store out in the middle of nowhere. It was only $22.99. Oddest find I passed on was from a store that had 750's of BT for $26.99. Right next to the 750's were handles of BT priced at $33.99. The reason I passed was because I'd already bought a 750 of BT from another store at $21.99.

My vacation haul:

Store Select 1792

Weller 12

BT

Weller SR 1.75

SAOS 7 yr X2 from 2 different store

Store Select FRSB X2

Cheers! Joe

Nice. The FRSB and the 1792 looks like the stuff I have. Why is it Store Select?

Nice. The FRSB and the 1792 looks like the stuff I have. Why is it Store Select?

It means that the store sent a tasting group to select the barrel that those are bottled from.

It means that the store sent a tasting group to select the barrel that those are bottled from.

Are all bottling's like this? How can you tell? Different labels?

The label (or hang tag, or something) will indicate it was bottled especially for that store, or selected by the store, or some such verbiage.

Not all bourbons are available as a private barrel, but when a store picks one they're usually pretty proud of it and advertise the fact. Some are better than the brand profile, but some are worse or just different. You should try before you buy or trust the people who picked it.

Private selections done by liquor stores or groups, will have a sticker on the bottles stating the name of the store/group, and that it was a single barrel selection.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!