What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2015!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had some 4RSB as last dram last night as well and I was blown away by the amount of lemon peel and herbal, gin-like flavours that I never got to that extend before. Is anybody else getting that notes?Paired with the sweetness and cedar wood flavours of the finish...Mind blowing!

Finished a '13 4R GS OESK. This was the last pour from what I came to appreciate as a really stellar SiB. Layers of flavor including a unique tobacco note and a finish that went on for several minutes after the sip. Another JR masterpiece.

poured the final from the small crock of EW Master Distillers Select this afternoon. This is much better than I had expected - wishing I'd bought more than just the one

Just cracked a fresh bottle of Ezra Brooks 12yr, bottled in '08. This brand seems to fly under the radar, but I've found every bottling that I've had to very good.

Enjoying some Weller 12 - rarely pour it neat anymore, but glad I slid my SB Blend aside to remind myself what it is all about!

Enjoying some Weller 12 - rarely pour it neat anymore, but glad I slid my SB Blend aside to remind myself what it is all about!

Country, are you saying Weller 12 = The Hokey Pokey? :D

Small pour of blantons and MMCS from the pint bottles I got earlier this summer to start things off in honor of hitting my goal weight and lowest weight since high (junior?) school. I also got to change myfitnesspal from a daily calorie goal of trying to lose a pound a week (set for 5 pounds less than I actually wanted to lose) to a goal of maintaining weight and it jumped nearly 500 calories per day. :drinking:

Tonight a pretty tasty bourbon: W.L. Weller Old Weller Antique. I like the sweetness.

Right there with you! I had a pour of WL12 neat. Following it with a pour of SB Blend (2:1 WL12:OWA) while watching the Colts-Texans game.

Having a pour of a Store Select ER....amazing how much better this is than any other ER I've had in the past several years.

bottle killing mode engaged: ogdbib, bt, and bakers all getting revisited. Will likely stick with these til they are gone to make some room on the shelf.

Must be something in the air as I am also enjoying some Weller 12. For the third night in a row. Been in the mood for it lately and it's hitting me squarely in the breadbasket. I'm not in wheater moods much anymore but do sometimes get the hankerin' and stay there for a few days.

Following with RR10, in opposition to the wheater mood, and it's not hitting the usual spot. That's what I get for not heeding the mood of the palate.

Final pour of the night is one of JR's last gift shop picks, an OBSO.

It's drinking well tonight!

SAOS 10 while watching the Colts/Texans game tonight. Delightful!

Also, I just realized that I forgot to post after attending my Boston Symphony Orchestra concert of the 2015-2016 season on Saturday. Newly stocked at the bar this year is Knob Creek (they also have the KC Rye), a move I can appreciate. New bartender, but the same generosity as I seem to always get for ordering bourbon neat at concerts.

The all-Russian program included a stunningly good performance of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, fiendishly difficult for the pianist. The young piano soloist nailed it, and was rewarded with (very rare for Symphony hall) applause between the first and second movements, and then at the end, the audience wouldn't stop applauding until he played an encore (which I believe was a Chopin piece). Encores at BSO concerts are super-rare; in the 25 years I've been going to at least four concerts a year, I don't think I've seen more than five or six.

Weller 12 tonight also. Goes down like water after a few nights of barrel proofers Stagg Jr and Bookers.

Acquiescing to the wheater preferring palate this evening, I got back on that train with some Larceny. When I first opened this bottle, I almost all char and little else. The char has now subsided. Still present, but very much in the background. It's working well this evening.

Afternoon pours from noon bargain purchases in my old home town, I'm trying to figure what I'll be schlepping back to mostly BiB-barren Colorado.

JTS Brown BiB ($10) is doing its normal approachable cinnamon gig - check, this is in the purchase que as pinball night fodder (it's close to billiards, right?)

HH 6Yr BiB ($10) is rounder and sweeter than the Brown. I'll have to see how the menthol/eucalyptus tone down before I decide on volume to buy. But I think I need to have some to let friends try, especially at this price.

WT101 ($15) is frankly much better than I remembered, right up until the bitter, slightly overcharred finish hits. I know a lot of people will say that's "spicy" - I just call it as I see it. Despite the slight hiccup on the finish, I'm starting to think this is the prototypical "yardstick bourbon" - it's a fantastic baseline from which "should buy" and "probably pass" bourbon can be judged.

BTW a 60/40 mingle of WT101 and HH6yr BiB seemed to be an interesting place to start - less eucalyptus and char, more corny sweetness but somehow drinking hotter....though all this could simply be mistaken perception from having 4 pours before 3 pm :)

HH BIB

while I google about this service called UBER

Hope they know how to get to Country's tommorrow nite.

After a long week at work, I'm relaxing with a couple of pours from a dusty (1988?) ND OGD 86 proof. Butterscotch heaven on the nose, and some in the flavor too. Light, sweet, and totally wonderful. A fitting way to end the week.

Cheers! Joe

George T. Stagg jr, Batch #3. I cut this one with a tiny bit of distilled water, the flavors jump right up at you.

Having a pour of a Store Select ER....amazing how much better this is than any other ER I've had in the past several years.

I find the store select bottles I've found to be far superior as well. More so than most private selections.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.