What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2015!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

after 2 there is always a 3rd or 4th

Most likely true, as I just took my last sip of ETL, but the question is....what shall it be? Do I kick it up a notch with something barrel proof, or stay in the 90's? hmm....decisions, decisions.....

Ended up going with Fitz BIB and OF Sig for the tailgate today. Oh, and I had to throw a few jello shots in for good measure!

I'll be pouring from a flask of BT at this afternoon's gathering of family. These are folks that I don't expect to provide me with anything I care to pour, so I bring my own.

BT never is a bad pour, and will go with about anything that may be served. It's so mild, mellow and easy to drink, without getting ripped; I find it a good choice in these circumstances.

Started early yesterday with some J. Henry Cask Strength (local product, pretty good), then on to Bookers, which really hit the spot. That was all late afternoon/early evening. Then later on I did my weekend 4R private barrel showdown. This week OBSF beat OESF. Both aged around 11 years, similar proofs. Bought the OBSF awhile ago and the first time I tried it thought it was just okay. Hadn't tasted it since. I don't know if my palate was off or it opened up, but thought it was really good, bordering on great last night. The label described it as "minty, fruity", but I didn't get any mint at all. Almost a chocolately thing going on though. I think I can still get another bottle of it, so I may have to go back.

Had dinner with friends last night who are starting to get into whiskey so I brought over 6 bottles for them to taste to further their development. Their current faves are 4RSmB and WT101 so I chose to mostly stay in the $20ish to $30ish price range. We went with:

BT to represent that distillery.

RR10 since they like WT (would have rather gone with WTRB but didn't have any on hand)

EC12 to represent HH.

HMcKBIB as a sbs with EC12 and because it's in the price range.

4RSB because they like the SmB. This is a bit out of the price range but was presented as a worthy splurge.

OGD114.

The clear favorites were 4RSB, EC12, and OGD114. Of course, I was pretty happy to see them like my favorites.

Just got to a cabin in Western NC for a few days stay, unloaded the car, checked things out, and poured a water glass of W12! Who doesn't have Dbl Old Fashioned Glasses in their cabin?? Automatically down rating this place by at least one star!

Drowning my sorrows post-Cowboy game with some EC12.

(While trying to figure out a more fitting choice, something that starts out like gangbusters, but falls flat on the finish).

Opened a bottle of BT Market Square store select, the 1.75 from 2013. Highhorse I believe you had a hand in picking this one. Well done. Id love to have a bit more proof to it, but it has a wonderful flavor. Best standard BT Ive had.

Henry McKenna BIB. Nice sweetness up front, with stout oakiness and proof to back it up. Wonderfully drinkable. Not sure HH would/could be in the position to have to choose to release only one of these, but if I had to choose , I think I would go with the HM over the EC.

Henry McKenna BIB. Nice sweetness up front, with stout oakiness and proof to back it up. Wonderfully drinkable. Not sure HH would/could be in the position to have to choose to release only one of these, but if I had to choose , I think I would go with the HM over the EC.

Having some of this myself. I agree to going with the HM over EC12, particularly if vatting were out of the question. HM is so balanced and poised, most barrels I have had at least. Some are a little briny, some more apple or oak going on, but all have been good.

Yet, I buy as much or more EC12 anyway, being the cheapskate I am. :grin: Going 2:1 with FC6:EC12 yields a very nice HH sipper, IMO, and costs considerably less than McKenna (which I just cannot bring myself to vat with anything).

So would I, maybe, at times I've favored one over the other but darned if both haven't also at times been disappointingly inconsistent.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.