What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2015/2016

Darwin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not much of a scotch drinker. For some reason, the earthy component just doesn't agree with my palate.

I have a few bottles, recent include Glenfarclas 12 and Macallan 12. I actually enjoyed these, moreso the Macallan as I pick up on more sherry.

Johnny: if you like sherry, try a BenRiach 15 finished in Pedro Ximenez casks. Widely available in the $75-$80 range. A nice step up from the Macallan 12. EV

Johnny: if you like sherry, try a BenRiach 15 finished in Pedro Ximenez casks. Widely available in the $75-$80 range. A nice step up from the Macallan 12. EV
Edited by johnnybogey

Eric got me thinking about this Talisker 10 from the early 2000's known for its "Stone Label" tonight and yep, it's delicious...

21641100370_4bc81a5022_b.jpg

The other day I finished off a bottle of Arran 10yo I picked up a while back. "Enjoying" may be a bit of a stretch---it was not bad, but far from a favorite. I've had a sentimental connection because my wife and I honeymooned in Scotland and visited a number of distilleries, including Arran (and we also really liked the isle of Arran itself). At that time they only had pretty young whiskey available, which didn't seem to have hit its stride yet. I was hoping that, having reached 10 years of age, it would have improved. It's better than the NAS product we got at the distillery, but, if nothing else, it has not surpassed any number of other malts that are available for less money.

The other day I finished off a bottle of Arran 10yo I picked up a while back. "Enjoying" may be a bit of a stretch---it was not bad, but far from a favorite. I've had a sentimental connection because my wife and I honeymooned in Scotland and visited a number of distilleries, including Arran (and we also really liked the isle of Arran itself). At that time they only had pretty young whiskey available, which didn't seem to have hit its stride yet. I was hoping that, having reached 10 years of age, it would have improved. It's better than the NAS product we got at the distillery, but, if nothing else, it has not surpassed any number of other malts that are available for less money.

Some strong, young grain tonight. In general this has hit a strong buttercream note with general solvency, nuts, and tobacco underneath but right now I'm getting crazy rye character, almost like tomato puree. I'm buying more grain this fall.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21640&stc=1

post-10579-14489822844336_thumb.jpg

The return of cooler weather had me reach for an older (2006?) bottling of Peat Monster and it's not disappointing.

Eric got me thinking about this Talisker 10 from the early 2000's known for its "Stone Label" tonight and yep, it's delicious...

21641100370_4bc81a5022_b.jpg

Some strong, young grain tonight. In general this has hit a strong buttercream note with general solvency, nuts, and tobacco underneath but right now I'm getting crazy rye character, almost like tomato puree. I'm buying more grain this fall.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21640&stc=1

This is a more than decent value pour, but in the end it just didn't do enough for me to pick up another bottle. The vanilla notes in these teenage single grain whiskies start to get to me. I don't mind them as much in a good blend, but I start to get an aspartame flavor that is a total turn off for me.

After a brief intermission, I'm visiting with the Alberta Dark Batch again tonight.

Paddy, what do you think of this expression? I saw it at the store on Sunday but I wasn't sure of the general consensus. I went in looking for a nice single malt, but I found nothing to take home. Then I went to the bourbon section, again nothing. At least I found a few bottles of red that were looking for a new home. :slappin:

It's a good change up pour Darwin. Here's a link to the thread, and a few notes I posted up following my initial dance.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?23740-Alberta-Rye-Dark-Batch-from-Beam-Suntory/page5&highlight=alberta+dark

If you have the time, a very informative thread with a lot of the back story thanks to Gary! :toast:

I really enjoyed the bottle I had of Alberta Dark Batch. I thought it was a nice change of pace and a good value for the money.

Cheers Paddy. I'll pour another dram of Storm and read the link.

Oh yea, now I remember.

Edited by Darwin

Ardbeg 2015 Supernova followed by a Hakushu 12

Rich - how's the new Nova? A local place has it but just like 2014, it's $160. I couldn't justify it last year...

I enjoyed it much more than most of the Ardbegs released in the last five or so years but not $160 worth. It was a sample provided by their PR firm. It's got a great earthy nose and the taste was surprisingly sweet and well balanced but my bar for 160 clams is pretty high.

Thanks for the impressions, Rich. Sounds identical to last year's release in terms of value.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.