What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2015/2016

Darwin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I found the 16 to be more to my liking which is not to say the 21 isn't good but when you add in the cost difference I am happy with the 16. Not sure I would replace either though when they run out unless something changes. Too many other interesting options these days.

My preference is swapped in that I like the 21 a little more but I agree that these bottles most likely will not be replaced.

A little Flaming Heart 15th with a mystery robusto while the grill gets going.

Edited by BigRich

On 2/5/2016, 12:41:37, jvd99 said:

I'll compare it SBS with the 18 and CS tonight & let you know.

On 2/5/2016, 8:58:17, BigRich said:

How is that Edition 1?

I'm not one for reviews - I just don't take myself that seriously.  I'm more of a like it or not like it guy.  But anyway, poured Mac18 1989, Mac Ed1, Mac CS and Balvenie 17 DW. 

Mac 18 - Color was amber.  Nose typical sherry bomb at relatively low proof - no alcohol burn.  Taste was as expected which was all sherry and a smooth finish.  Very nice.

Mac ED1 - Color was a somewhat darker shade of straw but noticeably lighter then the 18.  Nose was sherry forward, but the "American Oak" was definitely there - more alcohol.  Taste was excellent, the near 100 proof provides a little more oomf and it seemed nicely balanced between the sherry and american oak.  I like it.  Not had the Mac 12 in ages, so I can't compare, however, I'll say that for the money, while not a sherry bomb, this is a nice bottle at a good ABV for under $100.  I recommend a buy.

Mac CS - Dark amber.  Nose is sherry, raisins.  Tastes fantastic - tasted neat and the proof does not detract at all - this stuff is awesome and too bad it's discontinued (although I've bunkered about 10 of these B))

Balvenie - Thought this might compare to the ED1, but its not the similar at all, color was very light, the underlying honey/heather character shines through and not nearly as much sherry coming through on the palate. 

Hope that helps. 

13 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I'm not one for reviews - I just don't take myself that seriously.  I'm more of a like it or not like it guy.  But anyway, poured Mac18 1989, Mac Ed1, Mac CS and Balvenie 17 DW. 

Mac 18 - Color was amber.  Nose typical sherry bomb at relatively low proof - no alcohol burn.  Taste was as expected which was all sherry and a smooth finish.  Very nice.

Mac ED1 - Color was a somewhat darker shade of straw but noticeably lighter then the 18.  Nose was sherry forward, but the "American Oak" was definitely there - more alcohol.  Taste was excellent, the near 100 proof provides a little more oomf and it seemed nicely balanced between the sherry and american oak.  I like it.  Not had the Mac 12 in ages, so I can't compare, however, I'll say that for the money, while not a sherry bomb, this is a nice bottle at a good ABV for under $100.  I recommend a buy.

Mac CS - Dark amber.  Nose is sherry, raisins.  Tastes fantastic - tasted neat and the proof does not detract at all - this stuff is awesome and too bad it's discontinued (although I've bunkered about 10 of these B))

Balvenie - Thought this might compare to the ED1, but its not the similar at all, color was very light, the underlying honey/heather character shines through and not nearly as much sherry coming through on the palate. 

Hope that helps. 

Many thanks for the insight!

The Dalmore 15 during the game and The Dalmore 18 after the game.  

Congratulations to Peyton and the Broncos!  

:D

Edited by Darwin

Started the Super Bowl festivities last night with a return to the Springbank 18yo Port Matured whisky from the Wednesday tasting this week and the Springbank 17 Sherry wood that showed up at the Wednesday tasting back in October.

Still not sure quite what to make of the port matured whisky. Still a good mouthfeel and maturity with some nice but not heavy wood in the finish. But just seems to lack something in the mid/late palate. I expected more fruit component from the port I suppose. The Sherry wood is as stunning as ever if a bit sweeter and more fruit forward than the port. But so easy to drink. That one is dangerous! The advantage of blending multiple barrels I suppose compared to the chance you take with a single cask bottling.

Amrut Intermediate Sherry while watching the second half of the Super Bowl.  A sherry bomb with flavors of raisins, dates, spice, and rancio.  A great whiskey.

3 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Amrut Intermediate Sherry while watching the second half of the Super Bowl.  A sherry bomb with flavors of raisins, dates, spice, and rancio.  A great whiskey.

It looks like I will need to make a road trip to Palm Desert to purchase an Amrut.  Then again they have several expressions I can't get in Arizona so it might be a long weekend.  :huh:

Duke and Louisville on at the bar across from my hotel, while enjoying a Bushmills Black Bush.  

Black Bush is like Baker's, for me.  Love it while out, but never buy a bottle.  Well, I remedied the Baker's situation last week, so figgerin' I'll do the same with the BB shortly!  :D

The exceptional Malt from Sutcliffe and Son, a lovely blended Malt, has a mixture of older (up to 30 yr) Scotches

It's been compared to some $700 and up Scotches, It's some great stuff

IMG_5776.JPG

Felt the need to switch gears, so started the 3rd period with some Ardbeg 10yr.  Not sure I'll replace this bottle.  Nothing wrong with it - first world problems of too much whiskey.  Just feel like as long as I have some Laphroaig 10yr CS, I'll have what ails me when I feel the need for peat (which should be spoken ala Maverick/Goose in Top Gun . . . "I feel the need .  . . the need, for PEAT")

On 2/5/2016, 7:20:19, darylld911 said:

Opted for some Macallan CS, and have zero regrets with the pour.  Why in the hell did they stop bottling this???  (sigh)

Here here. I bought it at a duty free in Detroit once before I knew nuthin' about nuthin'. Was lucky enough to find a few more dusty bottles when I learned somethin' about somethin'

Longrow 10 100 opened tonight after being gifted by my inlaws.  Top notch stuff.  Also opened an Ardbog after putting down a Correy, which was a little to much for me - probably won't be going back to it in the future.  Of all the Ardbegs, I like the 10 the best. 

33 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Longrow 10 100 opened tonight after being gifted by my inlaws.  Top notch stuff.  Also opened an Ardbog after putting down a Correy, which was a little to much for me - probably won't be going back to it in the future.  Of all the Ardbegs, I like the 10 the best. 

Still have yet to try Corry. My top Ardbegs were probably an L8 10 year a friend shared last year and Renaissance. Beist and Oogie not far behind. 

Started with some CB Flaming Heart 4th (2012), and  think I just talked myself into picking up the Flaming Heart 5th.  Then poured the last of my bottle of Ardbeg 10.

1 hour ago, darylld911 said:

Started with some CB Flaming Heart 4th (2012), and  think I just talked myself into picking up the Flaming Heart 5th.  Then poured the last of my bottle of Ardbeg 10.

You can uber over and try it now.  I've got it open.  Enjoying it with a nice '64 Padron right now.

On February 6, 2016 at 5:53:28 PM, BigRich said:

A little Flaming Heart 15th with a mystery robusto while the grill gets going.

I love the FH 15th. Having some Springbank 17 Sherry Wood this evening. 

image.jpeg

Restaurant pour of Arran Amarone Cask after dinner.  

The wine influence was definitely prominent.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it overpowering.  It was nice and it was easy drinking for 100 proof.  An interesting whiskey.  I might buy a bottle if I found it at a reasonable price.

Cracked open some new bottles this week...Talisker 25 CS from 2004, the new Flaming Heart, and a Bruichladdich Black Art 3. Nothing earth shattering from any of them, although they are all above average.

5 hours ago, Trey Manthey said:

Cracked open some new bottles this week...Talisker 25 CS from 2004, the new Flaming Heart, and a Bruichladdich Black Art 3. Nothing earth shattering from any of them, although they are all above average.

Your standards are very high.  I really like both the Tali 25 (2004) and the FH 15th.  Your peat selection is also far more robust than mine.

On February 14, 2016 at 11:48:27 AM, Numismaniac said:

The exceptional Malt from Sutcliffe and Son, a lovely blended Malt, has a mixture of older (up to 30 yr) Scotches

It's been compared to some $700 and up Scotches, It's some great stuff

IMG_5776.JPG

I was wondering about this one!  A local store has a few bottles, and have heard very little about it, thanks for the post.

You should give it a try and let me know. It's a pretty good dram, IMHO. I'm newer to Scotch, but glad to have something to compare to the others that I have bought over the years. Just started drinking regularly again.

On February 22, 2016 at 8:07:52 PM, Jazz Nut said:

I was wondering about this one!  A local store has a few bottles, and have heard very little about it, thanks for the post.

Looks like that bottle has been chilling...

Celebrated my dad's birthday with Cigars - well aged Diana Silvius black label

and nice pours of The Glenrothes 1995/2015.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.