What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2015/2016

Darwin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had my first pour of Springbank Campbeltown Loch 21 year old blended scotch whisky last evening (the older 80 proof bottling).  Bottle was just opened the night before, so I think it could still benefit from some airtime, but this was quite good.  I am still getting my bearings with scotch whisky, and this is my first Springbank, but if this is the Springbank style, I can see myself being a big fan of Springbank.  Nice oak with a bit of creaminess due to the age, and really nice fruit and spices on the nose and palate (but without being particularly sweet).  A really impressive blended whisky, and I am glad I picked up the few bottles I stumbled upon.

Edited by jeffrey r

lagavulin 1996 Distillers Edition.  Great Depth. really enjoying the interaction with the PX casks.  Wish I bought more.  

My BIL gave me a 20cl bottle of Cadenhead's Highland Blended Malt that was gifted to him by a client. Once again he's given me a bottle of Scotch that I didn't have high expectations for but absolutely love! Bottled at cask strength (57.8% ABV) this whisky is full flavored and has an amazingly long finish. The only sad part is that the bottle was purchased overseas and supposedly not available in the U.S.

Time to start searching the internet shopping sites.

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

My BIL gave me a 20cl bottle of Cadenhead's Highland Blended Malt that was gifted to him by a client. Once again he's given me a bottle of Scotch that I didn't have high expectations for but absolutely love! Bottled at cask strength (57.8% ABV) this whisky is full flavored and has an amazingly long finish. The only sad part is that the bottle was purchased overseas and supposedly not available in the U.S.

Time to start searching the internet shopping sites.

Give this link a look.  K&L usually has a good selection.  To bad AZ won't let me purchase from out of state.  :(

http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1020770&cid=TPV-Winesearcher

Edited by Darwin

Thanks for the link Darwin, I'll check it out. This is the bottle I have:

cadenheads.jpg

cadenshead2.jpg

Balvenie 12 Year Single Barrel.  This is good stuff, but I am simply not seeing why this is a $70 whisky.  Being generous, I could maybe see this as being a $50 whisky, but even then, there are plenty of sub-$50 bourbons for example that I would choose over this.  Still trying to wrap my head around single malt scotch pricing--it is an adjustment. 

I think it's down to age, taxes and greed.  Single malts are generally two to three times older than most bourbon.  Casks have to be acquired and shipped in from the U.S. or other countries.  All of the local costs for production and storage, then similar cost to ship to us and all of our local extra costs and profit margins....  funny how the prices seem higher from the mega multi national companies.

Anyways I agree with you!  Everything I like is $50 to $100+.  :o

Glendronach 12 tonight with the game.

Edited by Darwin

9 minutes ago, Darwin said:

I think it's down to age, taxes and greed.  Single malts are generally two to three times older than most bourbon.  Casks have to be acquired and shipped in from the U.S. or other countries.  All of the local costs for production and storage, then similar cost to ship to us and all of our local extra costs and profit margins....  funny how the prices seem higher from the mega multi national companies.

Anyways I agree with you!  Everything I like is $50 to $100+.  :o

Glendronach 12 tonight with the game.

Yup, I hear you.  Much to the detriment of my wallet, I have recently come to appreciate scotch quite a bit more than I used to, so I am making up for lost time, purchasing the Glenfarclas's, Balvenie's, Aberlour's, and Glendronach's out there (amongst others). 

Now, the Glendronach 12 that you mentioned, I love at $50 (had a nice pour last evening).  And the Glendronach 15 I love at $75.  Plenty of others have made an impression as well, such as the Glenfarclas 105 at $80 and Aberlour A'Bunadh at $75.  Fortunately, there are some very nice single malts at $50 or less like the GD 12, GF 12, Benromach 10, etc.  But yes, single malt scotch is dang expensive, and just shows how good a value bourbons like FRSB, EC12, W12 and others are.

Relaxing after a hard day. Just poured a 3 ouncer,  and enjoying my Bruichladdich laddie. Tasty stuff.

Cheers everyone.

Now that winter temperatures have finally arrived here, I'm warming myself up with a little Bunnahabhain 12. Such a great, balanced dram at a nice proof.

I just tried The Yamazaki 12 year for the first time, and I know it isn't scotch, but it was pretty close. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

9 hours ago, amg said:

Now that winter temperatures have finally arrived here, I'm warming myself up with a little Bunnahabhain 12. Such a great, balanced dram at a nice proof.

I have that bottle too. Do you get any hints of sulphur in it, having been matured in ex-sherry casks? sometimes I get a hint of it, sometimes I don't. Otherwise, it's a great whisky.

7 hours ago, bdrinker said:

I have that bottle too. Do you get any hints of sulphur in it, having been matured in ex-sherry casks? sometimes I get a hint of it, sometimes I don't. Otherwise, it's a great whisky.

I'm not very sensitive to the sulphur note, but I haven't detected it. I really like the combination of Sherry and light peat.

Had a long drive yesterday but capped it off with some Longrow 14 Burgandy finish to ring in the new year. 

Had an emergency meeting called of the Executive Committee of GBS this afternoon, and by total happenstance, there were a few whiskies available to help with the proceedings...along with a few cigars...and a barking Sheltie...

Loved on the Glenfiddich 21 yr Gran Reserva that BigRich brought...  Very clean, just enough touch of sweetness and nice balance throughout, despite its rum cask finishing.  

What was the emergency?.....

I forget...But, I'm sure it was important...:unsure:

It's been cold (for us) and rainy all week long, so I figured it's a good time to open the bottle of Corryvreckan I got for Christmas.  The Islay whiskies are still like a 2x4 to the scenes to me.  Like an iodine factory on fire and a bite of good fruit cake.  :o

On 1/9/2016, 10:08:10, Darwin said:

It's been cold (for us) and rainy all week long, so I figured it's a good time to open the bottle of Corryvreckan I got for Christmas.  The Islay whiskies are still like a 2x4 to the scenes to me.  Like an iodine factory on fire and a bite of good fruit cake.  :o

Although I've never had it (I just recently began liking, actually loving, peated Scotches), your description is great. :D

On January 8, 2016 at 9:44:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

Had an emergency meeting called of the Executive Committee of GBS this afternoon, and by total happenstance, there were a few whiskies available to help with the proceedings...along with a few cigars...and a barking Sheltie...

Loved on the Glenfiddich 21 yr Gran Reserva that BigRich brought...  Very clean, just enough touch of sweetness and nice balance throughout, despite its rum cask finishing.  

What was the emergency?.....

I forget...But, I'm sure it was important...:unsure:

I think we were going to talk about troyce but then he showed up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.