What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2015/2016

Darwin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finishing off a much-regretted Glen Garioch 1797 Founder's Reserve I bought in a duty free situation.

The exact opposite of what I like in a whisky - hay-like, barnyard cereal notes. I likes me the candy. Pass.

Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey, Natural Cask Strength 57.9% alc/vol.  Great stuff!

Damn, I thought I killed this bottle some time ago.  Well if I whiffed before, I'm not whiffing again.  This Auchentoshan Classic is going down, and will not rest on my bar again.  In the end, this has been painfully boring whiskey.  I like saying the name, though...:D

Glenfiddich 15 solera tonite. Down to the last 3 fingers of this bottle. I enjoyed this whisky, good everyday dram. 

Keeping warm with some Flaming Heart 4th (2012).  This whiskey is hitting all the right notes today! 

Last night it was a wee bit of the Cadenhead 27yo Highland Park finished for 8 or so years in sherry. That will keep the "blizzard" at bay!

Tonight it is a Robbie Burns dinner. Nothing super special on the menu to accompany the haggis but should be a fun evening.

I cracked open a bottle of Glenfarclas 17 last night and I will visit it again tonight during the second game.   ;)  I really like the sherry and smoke this one has going on.

6 hours ago, Darwin said:

I cracked open a bottle of Glenfarclas 17 last night and I will visit it again tonight during the second game.   ;)  I really like the sherry and smoke this one has going on.

Smoke in Glenfarclas? really?

Burns Night... Started off with Old Pulteney 17, now onto Kilkerran Calvados Single Cask.

Cheers all!

Last night I finished off the last of the Ardbeg 17yo.  I'd been careful with my bottle since there is no more of it out there, conserving it for years, but I realized it was down to about one decent pour remaining, so rather than wait for some unknown special occasion, I figured, "what the hell."

Thus ends possibly the best bottle of whiskey in my whole collection.  I hope Ardbeg will eventually put out another older expression.

Last night I opened my bottle of Laphroaig Cairdeas 200th Anniversary.  An interesting whisky.  

The nose was strong with peat and smoke.  It made me think of smoked salmon.  There was also a medicinal quality but not as much as Lag16. After adding a few drops of water, the peat and smoke nose lessened and the sweetness came through.

The palate was earthy (like a green plant), smoke, and some sweetness.  The water brought out a lot of fresh lemon flavor.

The finish was a pleasant smokiness and freshness with a very faint medicinal quality.

It was an enjoyable and, like I said, interesting whisky.

Been on a Scotch kick recently.  Last night it was Compass Box Hedonism Quindecimus followed by Glenfarclas 105.  Both were very nice.

Currently opened are:

Balvenie 17DW + TUN 1509 #1

Ardbeg Correy

Macallan 18 1989

Macallan Edition 1

Macallan Cask Strength

Longmorn 15 (dusty/old label)

Glenmo Tusail

Springbank 18

Opted for some Macallan CS, and have zero regrets with the pour.  Why in the hell did they stop bottling this???  (sigh)

A client just gifted me a bottle of Glenlivit 21. I don't know much about scotch but I did open it right away. It's not in my wheelhouse but I find some things to like about it. This could be a gateway bottle.

On February 3, 2016 at 12:29:12 AM, jvd99 said:

Currently opened are:

Balvenie 17DW + TUN 1509 #1

Ardbeg Correy

Macallan 18 1989

Macallan Edition 1

Macallan Cask Strength

Longmorn 15 (dusty/old label)

Glenmo Tusail

Springbank 18

How is that Edition 1?

Last evening, a pour of Bushmills 16.  This is a nice whiskey--complex, nicely aged, unique flavor.  It would of course benefit from the anti-Diageo treatment, namely higher proof than 80 proof and NCF.  But for it's going rate of $60 or so when you can find it, I'd call it a good dram for a fair price. 

4 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Last evening, a pour of Bushmills 16.  This is a nice whiskey--complex, nicely aged, unique flavor.  It would of course benefit from the anti-Diageo treatment, namely higher proof than 80 proof and NCF.  But for it's going rate of $60 or so when you can find it, I'd call it a good dram for a fair price. 

The 16 might well be my favorite of the Bushmill line although as you say it desperately needs at a minimum increased proof to 90 plus to compete with some of the other newer high end bottlings!

Bushmills was sold recently by Diageo to Casa Cuervo (or more accurately swapped for the rest of Don Julio tequila that Diageo already partly owned). Not sure Casa Cuervo is going to be any better as an owner but if they want to keep it relevant in the rapidly expanding Irish Whiskey world then it seems they better do something. Jameson/Midleton has been kicking its butt of late it seems. 

8 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The 16 might well be my favorite of the Bushmill line although as you say it desperately needs at a minimum increased proof to 90 plus to compete with some of the other newer high end bottlings!

Bushmills was sold recently by Diageo to Casa Cuervo (or more accurately swapped for the rest of Don Julio tequila that Diageo already partly owned). Not sure Casa Cuervo is going to be any better as an owner but if they want to keep it relevant in the rapidly expanding Irish Whiskey world then it seems they better do something. Jameson/Midleton has been kicking its butt of late it seems. 

Interesting--well, I guess we'll see what happens.  But if it is any indication, the 16 seems to have pretty much disappeared at retail in my area.  I recently came across some of the Bushmills 16 and 21 in a local for "reasonable" prices and picked up a couple of each.  The bottles were definitely from a couple/few years ago though. 

I haven't opened the 21 yet, but hear good things about that one as well.  80 proof and chill filtering are such a disservice to 16 and 21 year old whiskey, but I guess Glenfiddich does it with their 15 year amongst others, and some whisk[e]ys like these are good enough to be good in spite of those aspects.

12 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Interesting--well, I guess we'll see what happens.  But if it is any indication, the 16 seems to have pretty much disappeared at retail in my area.  I recently came across some of the Bushmills 16 and 21 in a local for "reasonable" prices and picked up a couple of each.  The bottles were definitely from a couple/few years ago though. 

I haven't opened the 21 yet, but hear good things about that one as well.  80 proof and chill filtering are such a disservice to 16 and 21 year old whiskey, but I guess Glenfiddich does it with their 15 year amongst others, and some whisk[e]ys like these are good enough to be good in spite of those aspects.

I found the 16 to be more to my liking which is not to say the 21 isn't good but when you add in the cost difference I am happy with the 16. Not sure I would replace either though when they run out unless something changes. Too many other interesting options these days.

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

How is that Edition 1?

I'll compare it SBS with the 18 and CS tonight & let you know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.