What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2015/2016

Darwin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Celebrating Friday with a nice pour of CB Flaming Heart 2015.  This baby has just a little bit of everything I love in a whiskey - some peat, some smoke, some sherry, some sweet, some pepper spice.  Sometimes I really want a load of just some of that, but for when you want a little of it all - this delivers.  This is turning out to be one of my favorite Scotches.

Opted to finish the night with some CB Flaming Heart 2012 as I watch the Wings try to keep the playoff streak alive for the 25th year (GO WINGS!) 

Getting towards end of outdoor fireplace season, so figured I'd get another in with a healthy pour of CB Peat Monster.  

Yard work kicked my butt today, so I am enjoying Glenfarclas 17 while watching the Spurs / Warriors game.  

Yamazaki 12 for me tonight. A bottle I picked up last year before prices went through the roof.

It's lovely stuff,  but not one I'd  buy again at today's prices.

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Yamazaki 12 for me tonight. A bottle I picked up last year before prices went through the roof.

It's lovely stuff,  but not one I'd  buy again at today's prices.

What was a good price for Yamazaki 12?

11 hours ago, meadeweber said:

What was a good price for Yamazaki 12?

I paid $70 (£49.99) for it here. Used to be available for less (in supermarkets, no less). Now it's $100+ here. 

There's better whisky available for a lot less. 

46 minutes ago, beasled said:

I paid $70 (£49.99) for it here. Used to be available for less (in supermarkets, no less). Now it's $100+ here. 

There's better whisky available for a lot less. 

Yes, I was wondering because I can get it for a little over $70 here which I thought was a good price but I just don't love it.  There are many other whiskies that I would rather buy.

1 hour ago, meadeweber said:

Yes, I was wondering because I can get it for a little over $70 here which I thought was a good price but I just don't love it.  There are many other whiskies that I would rather buy.

It wasn't that long ago when it was more like $50. Then came the earthquake and tsunami and it disappeared for awhile. Then you had the combination of interruption of supply and the suddenly soaring popularity of Japanese whisky especially in Japan. When it finally came back the price started going up and hasn't slowed down (and now it glows in the dark!).

OK, maybe not that last part.

The Yamazaki 18 is even more crazy. It used to be you could find it around $80 in 2011 before the earthquake but now is approaching $300 or more. Yikes!

23 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It wasn't that long ago when it was more like $50. Then came the earthquake and tsunami and it disappeared for awhile. Then you had the combination of interruption of supply and the suddenly soaring popularity of Japanese whisky especially in Japan. When it finally came back the price started going up and hasn't slowed down (and now it glows in the dark!).

OK, maybe not that last part.

The Yamazaki 18 is even more crazy. It used to be you could find it around $80 in 2011 before the earthquake but now is approaching $300 or more. Yikes!

I saw a bottle of Yamazaki 18 just sitting on a shelf in Nebraska. I grabbed it right away.... And then I saw the price, $350.00 and put it back. 

Ouch!!!!

Been enjoying a Tun 1509 Batch 1.  It's not as good as the 30 which is a favorite of mine, but still damn good - just a little bitterness on the back end that the 30 does not have

Enjoying some CB TINAL.  Funny that normally at this proof (106.2) I wouldn't add more than a few drops, but trying it with a bit more than that - and it still has a lovely creamy/viscous mouthfeel.  

Staying in the CB lane, followed up with a short pour from The General.  Was happy to have John Glaser sign the bottle - besides being one of my favorite whiskies, I think it is one of the coolest labels (certainly the coolest that I've ever owned!)  I don't keep a lot of empty bottles for sentimental value, but this will one one of them!  Thankfully, it isn't empty (yet!) 

The wife bought me a bottle of Monkey Shoulder at the weekend as it was on offer and it's a rather pleasant drink on the rocks. Entirely inoffensive and not a bad sipper for a relaxingly quiet Tuesday.

4 hours ago, beasled said:

The wife bought me a bottle of Monkey Shoulder at the weekend as it was on offer and it's a rather pleasant drink on the rocks. Entirely inoffensive and not a bad sipper for a relaxingly quiet Tuesday.

For the asking price, that stuff is not too shabby at all.

6 hours ago, amg said:

For the asking price, that stuff is not too shabby at all.

Agreed! Tasty stuff. 

Out and about for the evening and had a chance to try the Cragganmore 25, one of the Diageo special releases in 2014, thanks to the generosity of a friend! Solid malt with no finishes to distract you. Some oak character up front with a bit of spice but not overwhelming. Back of the palate and finish brought out some honey notes but the finish, while decent, was not as long as I expected. Very nice but not sure it was $400+ nice.

Did I mention it was a very generous friend? Now admittedly I was sharing whiskey in return! Was drinking the Irish again with the Dair Gaelach, Legacy and Teeling white post cask. Oh, and that odd but interesting little French whisky from the Wednesday tasting!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.